wolff215

• Posted 5 Years From Now.. to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
    Throughout this psychology course, we have learned various concepts and ideas about psychology, health, medication, and popular myths. Much of psychology can be applied to everyday life, whether it is to question everything one hears and attempt to find scientific support for it or why some habits are harder to end compared to others. However, the psychology idea that I believe will stick with me throughout time is the concept of relationships. It was interesting to learn that proximity, similarity, familiarity, reciprocity, and barriers to relationships were all factors of successful, or unsuccessful, relationships. It made sense that all of these factors play into relationships, and reveals why many of my past friendships have either failed or prevailed through time. Of course, there are always exceptions to these guidelines. Right now, my closest friend is attending school five hours away, but during Thanksgiving break it was as if no time had passed at all. Clearly, it has only been a few months, so does not mean that the friendship is guaranteed to last in the future. The relationship concept covered in psychology will be most memorable for me, for I can apply it directly to my life. Since it is an applicable concept, it will be memorable for me in the long-run compared to other concepts covered in this psychology course....
  • Posted Body Image Illusions to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
    Everyone is aware of the eating disorders bulimia and anorexia, but I do not believe everyone is aware of having a set point. Knowing that your body regulates around a certain body weight (similar to the idea that your body temperature is should always be around 98° F) could potentially weaken the rate of eating disorders. I believe it is the lack of knowledge of weight and healthy lifestyles that cause Americans to go to extremes to fit into an image they believe to be ideal. Yes, people do become envious when flipping through a magazine and see skinny, muscular celebrity after celebrity. However, many times images are altered, the celebrities themselves are not healthy, and it may just be their set point weight. The hardest part, I believe, when dealing with one's self-image is to acknowledge that it is harder to lose weight than it is to gain it, and it may be that one cannot be any skinner and still be healthy. However, this is not to say it is impossible to lower one's set point weight. A healthy way to do it would be to slowly cut back on food, exercise daily, and have a food routine. It is when people do not see immediate results that they get anxious and attempt extreme dieting. Americans desire quick and easy results, unfortunately this mindset cannot be used when attempting to lose weight. It takes the mental ability to be okay with one's appearance and acknowledge that if they want to change their appearance, that it must be a slow change. Anything drastic will cause health problems and increase the desire to eat, for one's body has not adjusted and needs to take in a certain amount of food to maintain equilibrium at the set point. It is crucial that people become of having set point weight, for it could be beneficial to the American society. Hopefully, with this given information, people will realize how to change their weight in a healthy way. For more information, click on the below link. http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/ideal-weight-or-happy-weight...
  • Posted Attractiveness and Relationships to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
    http://psychfutures.ning.com/page/psychology-of-attraction Through psychology, it appears that the popular claim that opposites attract is misleading. Two similar counterparts are more likely to make a whole versus opposing couples. The article provided above is evidence to this idea. It would make sense that one chooses to surround themselves with people who live near them and see frequently, have similar interests, and have a mutual relationship. While relationships begin between people who live closely together, it isn't necessarily necessary to live close to maintain the relationship. My mother's best friend lives in a different state than her, but when they are together, it appears as if they see each other every day. It is their interests and sense of reciprocity between each other that maintains their relationship. Today, people often hear of friends being in bad, abusive relationships. This could be a result of media's obsession with portraying couples who are exact opposites. The media gives rise to the idea that opposites attract, and it is necessary for two people to be different to be complete. However, we cannot draw causation from correlation. However, being too similar to someone does not mean that the relationship will be destined to work out. Another popular idea is that the qualities we don't like in others are often qualities we possess ourselves. Whether this is true or not, I have had personal experiences being in relationships with people who are too much like me. In these cases, I feel as though I get annoyed more easily or lose my sense of identity. It is as if we are all the same. However, this is anecdotal evidence, so people should be weary of it. In general, the ideas of proximity, similarity, familiarity, reciprocity, and barriers apply to the general public's relationships. People chose to be around people who are close to them, have similar interest and views, and benefit from each other. These characteristics can be said to be essential for a positive, healthy relationship....
  • Posted Remembering Everything to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
    http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/story?id=7075443&page=1 I was intrigued when learning about the super-memories only a small fraction of the population is born with. Today, there are four known people with super-memories in America. The attached link is an interview with Bob Petrella. Petrella is one of the four Americans' who has a super-memory. He explains how the memory is truly a blessing and a curse. Having an average memory capacity, I would love to vividly remember playing at the state tournament for basketball or playing with my cousins during Christmas gatherings. Being able to call upon these memories would truly be a blessing. In this sense, Petrella is lucky to have this gift. However, I am thankful that I can forget certain memories, such as embarrassing or sad events that took place in my past. Petrella is one of the few who cannot let go of these memories, even if he wanted to. Holding onto every life experience can be seen as the downside, or curse, of the gift. Petrella explains how his memories actually are like videotapes, and can vividly report on every past occurrence; sports especially. It this sense, it would appear that every person who has a super-memory is more prone to recall a certain aspect of life. These four Americans do have a few things in common. For example, all three of the four expressed left-hand dominance, while the fourth has "...strong tendencies to be left-handed." However, we cannot say that this trait causes super-memories or visa-versa. Reading this article, I was curious if people with super-memories would make better life choice or could more accurately guess future happenings. People can base decisions off of past experiences. Since there are people that can remember everything about their past, wouldn't they make the best choices? It would appear as this would be the case, but I could not find scientific research to back up this hypothesis. Hopefully someone else will have insight on this idea?...
  • Posted Change? There was no change.. I think. to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voAntzB7EwE&feature=player_embedded Magicians use the audiences' brains against themselves. It is the error in perception, change blindness, and misconception to fool the brain into piecing together "reality." Magicians will look in one direction, causing the audience to also look away from what is actually happening on stage. When people aren't looking, the "magic" takes place. Magicians will also focus the attention of the audience solely on one area of the trick, thus completely missing what is truly happening. When people focus their attention exclusively on one aspect of life, other events are happening and changing, but people are "blind" to them. The above link is card trick; however the trick itself is not about the card number or suit. Instead, the real trick is when the magician flips the cards over and the color of the deck changes from the beginning of the trick to the end. Simple trick, right? Did you notice the other changes? The viewer is so contently focusing on the cards that they will not notice the color change of the shirts, table cloth, or backdrop. When going through the video myself, I fell subject to change blindness. In discussion, we watched a video about change blindness. I thought, "How could someone not notice the man changing?!" And then I failed to notice what I thought previously would be an easy thing to pick up on. It would be a challenge to oneself to attempt to train your brain not to fall victim to change blindness. If one was able to do this, they would most likely be able to understand more magic tricks, and not fall for the deception the magician does throughout their act....
  • Posted Bistable Optical Illusion to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udfDvXMU5os The link above is a video of three dancers, all rotating in one direction. As the video progresses, the outside dancers will take on more human characteristics, while the middle dancer remains a black shadow. When this video was first produced, media spread that the video revealed whether the watcher was right-brained dominate or left-brained dominate. However, there is no scientific evidence to support this hypothesis. The idea of the video is to represent how people's depth perception is inaccurate when there are a lack of visual cues for depth. When the dancers are all black shadows, one person's perception of the dancer is that she is circling clockwise while another person views her spinning counter-clockwise. At the beginning of the video, there are no surface features or human characteristics to reveal which way the dancer is facing, so viewers will see opposing legs on the ground and arms spinning in the air. Thus, the dancer motion is dependent on how the viewer perceives the shadow. It is when the outside dancers take on human characteristics and visual cues for depth that the viewer understands the illusion. The outside dancers will spin in opposing directions, and the middle dancers will remain spinning dependently on how the viewer perceives the image. The image may also be influenced by the outside dancers....
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from wolff215

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page