yooxx156

• Posted Nature vs Nurture to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
    PSY 1001 course has been an interesting class so far and we studied numerous intriguing theories throughout the semester. We studied research methods, memory, intelligence and so on in pursuit of how our minds work. However, out of all the things we learned what I will remember five years from now might be the Nature and Nurture debate. The nature-nurture debate casts a question whether our behaviors attributable mostly our genes or to our rearing environments. Up until the 20th century, it was believed that all human behaviors were produced by learning (nurture). However, after conducting twin and adoption studies, researchers found out that the most important psychological traits such as personality, intelligence and mental illnesses are influenced by genes. Modern psychologists have concluded that human behavior is attributable not only to our environments but to our genes (Lilienfeld 34). The reason why I think I will remember this debate is because it personally means something to me. Since my husband was adopted, after learning about the nature-nurture debate, I naturally became interest in it. I've had a chance to observe this debate in person and have concluded that nurture plays a bigger role when it comes to personality, especially when you make a decision at times. I'm certain that I will keep my interest and carry on my own research in the future. I was glad that I got to learn about this debate through this course....
  • Posted Personality traits and money handling to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
    This week, we learned about the Big Five, which are the most distinctive and commonly understood personality traits we share throughout the world. They are openness (how open you are to new things), conscientiousness (how responsible and careful you are), extraversion (how sociable and lively you are), agreeableness (how well you get along with people), and neuroticism (how anxious and worrisome you are). We were supposed to take a personality test before class and thanks to this test I got to know a little more about myself. While reading more about personality traits I found something interesting so I would like to share that with you. If you scored high on agreeableness or if you know someone who is quite agreeable in your life it might be good for you to read this article. According to the Journal of Applied Psychology, agreeable people are more likely to be in trouble in money management related situations. Researchers from Louisiana State University (LSU), Texas Tech University and Northern Illinois University found out that people who are conscientious have better credit than people who are agreeable. One of the researchers from LSU, Jeremy Bernerth, explained that people who are more agreeable tend to agree on co-signing loans for their friends or family upon requests. They also tend to have a hard time saying no to store clerks when asked for additional credit cards. Professor Karen Pine from University of Hertfordshire who is an author of Sheconomics commented that easy going people tend to feel discomfort when they switch bank accounts or have to say no to people who ask them to sign up for membership card that cost them membership fees. Apparently saying no to others seems "out of character" to them. She added that in order for you to maintain good credit and strong finances, you need to be tough to various temptations. Interestingly, this study suggested that there is no correlation between bad credit and bad behaviors at work. If this study reminds you of someone you know in your family or your close friend maybe you can help them. For example, when you go shopping with your friend or family member and someone at a store tries to get them to sign up for a new credit card, you know you can step in and help them! Sources http://www.bps.org.uk/news/calm-people-have-poorer-credit-scores/ The British Psychological Society http://psydb.herts.ac.uk/staff_list/FMPro?-db=staff_list_email&-format=recorddetail.html&-lay=details&-sortfield=surname&-max=2147483647&-recid=33557&-findall=/ University of Hertfordshire...
  • Commented on The Mozart Effect
    This is interesting.Maybe I should try to listen to Mozart when I study too. Do you know if any other composers' music could work in the same why? For example,would listening to Bach work?...
  • Posted A way to make you happy. to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
    I found that this week's chapter was very interesting, especially, ''What Makes Us Happy" on page 424 to 425 caught my attention. I'm pretty confident to say that everyone wants to be happy and in response to that people read many books about how to be happy. According to the text book, there are certain things that make us happy such as marriage, friendship, religion, political affiliation, exercise, gratitude, giving, and flow. I was surprised to see exercise makes you happy not because I was not aware of it but because I have proven to myself how it makes me happy. Today I would like to share more findings about it. I read that exercise not only makes you happy but also makes a difference in your brain size According to new research found by Lindsay Smith and Dr Nickolas Smith from the Department of Exercise and Sport Science, Manchester Metropolitan University, you can experience a significant mood boost when you perform more intense workouts than less intense workouts. The scientists measured the mood before, during and after the vigorous workouts and what they found is that only the vigorous workouts enabled participants to have respectably elevated moods even 20 minutes after the workout. This is interesting because exercising is what I do when I get stressed. I usually ride a bike when I am stressed and after I finish exercising I find myself feeling better than before. Especially when I ride a bike faster than usual I feel that I did something good and feel pretty good about it. I also found a study published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences that adults aged from 55 to 80 with one year of aerobic exercise such as running or biking increased the size of the hippocampus. As you know, the hippocampus is the area that is in charge of memory and spatial navigation. As you get older, the hippocampus becomes smaller and it can result in dementia or impaired memory. The volume of the hippocampus plays an important role in terms of memory function. These two findings perhaps suggest that we should consider exercising in order to be happy and healthy. Next time when you are stressed or depressed why don't you try some intense exercise? It is cheaper and healthier than drinking or shopping after all. http://www.bps.org.uk/news/feel-burn-and-feel-better The British Psychological Society http://www.pnas.org/content/108/7/3017.full.pdf+html?sid=f497d8c0-eccf-4824-be57-d408b582d6cf PNAS http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2011/01/25/1015950108 PNAS...
  • Posted How we trained our dog to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
    This is our dog, Ari. She is a four month old Labrador retriever. Thanks to B.F. Skinner, my husband and I were able to teach her to do some tricks such as sit, lie down, shake, drop, and stay. This is how we trained her. Step 1. Get her favorite food and the clicker ready Step 2 Say some command words Step 3 Click the clicker if she performs any similar behavior of the target behavior and give her food Step 4 Repeat step 2 and 3. Keep reinforcing behaviors We trained her by using shaping (also called shaping by successive approximations). Shaping was introduced by B.F Skinner, who was an American psychologist and one of the famous behaviorists. It is known that his work was influenced by Pavlov and Watson but do you know how he first knew about them? The first time B.F Skinner encountered with Behavioral Science was after he graduated from Hamilton College. Actually he wanted to become a writer so he moved back home, Susquehanna, New York. He wrote little and worked as a bookstore clerk. While working at the bookstore he found the books written by Pavlov and Watson. He was impressed by them and wanted to learn more. So he enrolled in the Psychology Department of Harvard University at the age of 24 and studied more about it. Later on, he introduced the term shaping. Shaping is a procedure that you reinforce behaviors although the behaviors are not target behaviors yet. By doing so, you can guide them to perform the target behavior. In other words, animals don't know why they get treats at first but as they get encouraged more times they eventually shape the target behavior. We plan to teach Air to pick up her toys and put them in her toy box eventually by using chaining with shaping. Chaining is a technique to teach animals to perform longer series of tricks. For example, we will teach our dog to pick up a toy first. Later on we will reinforce her by giving her food, when she picks up a toy and goes to her toy box. Eventually we will teach her to pick up a toy and drop it in her toy box. We have a long way to go but it will be fun. If she learns to clean up her toys, I'll post the video of her! Wish me luck!...
  • Posted Have you ever experienced Sleep Paralysis? to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
    I have. I used to experience sleep paralysis in middle school. It usually happened when I woke up from a nap or fell asleep for a short time. When I experienced sleep paralysis, I was able to hear ghosts calling my name in my ear or felt them on my chest. Although I tried to get some help I could not move my body or say anything. It made me so frightened that I was even afraid of sleeping sometimes. I did not know what it was back then, but now I know that it was sleep paralysis. Here are other people who have experienced sleep paralysis and one of explanations for sleep paralysis. So what is sleep paralysis? As you can guess, you feel paralyzed when you falling asleep or awakening. You can see or feel things but you simply cannot move your body or say things. Sleep paralysis occurs in two different ways. 1. If it occurs while you are falling asleep it is called hypnagogic or predormital sleep paralysis. When you fall asleep your body normally relaxes and you become unconscious. However, if you still remain conscious you may experience sleep paralysis. 2. If it occurs while you are waking up, it's called hypnopompic or postdormital sleep paralysis. When we sleep, we go through 5 stages of sleep. The stage one through four is considered non-REM(NREM). During these stages your body relaxes and these four stages take up the most of sleeping time. The last stage is called REM(rapid eye movements). You have more dreams at this stage as your eye move rapidly. When your body remained relaxed from NREM but enter REM and become aware before the REM cycle finishes, you may experience sleep paralysis. What are the possible causes? Disruption in the sleep cycle Anxiety, stress Sleeping with your face up Sudden changes in lifestyle So if you have ever experienced sleep paralysis and are afraid of it, I hope you no longer worry about it. It is very unlikely to be caused by ghosts or aliens. Thanks for your time! Reference : Wikipedia, Google, Textbook, and youtube...
  • Posted Are killers naturally born? to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
    Do you guys remember the Bogle family'? Twenty eight out of thirty four people from the Bogle family have been or still are in jail. The other two who did not go to jail either hanged themselves or got shot and were killed by the police. When we studied about them, I found them very interesting and started thinking whether nature is more important to determine who we are or nurture is more important. There have been many debates about nature vs. nurture among psychologists to figure out which one determines who you are. They have invented adoption studies, twin studies (which the Psychology department of the University of Minnesota is famous for) and family studies. Nowadays, it is more acceptable to think that both the environment you grew up in and your genetic makeup are important. However, I wonder which one contributes a tiny bit more when people turn out to be criminals like serial killers. I found an interesting video clip about this topic from TED.com and want to share it with you before we discuss more. So according to Professor Jim Fallon, the major violence gene called, MAO-A, that is on the X chromosome has to do with these psychopathic killers. When people have more MAO-A genes and have been exposed to violent things, it makes them to become criminals like murderers or serial killers. Isn't that interesting? So my question here is would it be possible for us to use this data and research to predict serial killers before disasters occur like in the movie, Minority report?...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from yooxx156

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page