nogax001

• Posted Bystander Effect to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIvGIwLcIuw I am sure some of us have fallen pray to the bystander effect. I know I have. In this case, the girl is portraying abduction by another man. It was shocking how no one even seemed shocked by what was occurring. They thought someone else was going to take care of it. That is what we call the bystander effect. Since we are not the only person around the area witnessing what's happening, we assume someone else will take the action of preventing or reporting a terrible behavior. In this day in age, people seem to be self centered and only focus on themselves and the safety of themselves. We also may not perceive the situation the same as others, which is called pluralistic ignorance. So we are not certain if we should intervene because of our uncertainty of the situation. There is also what is called the diffusion of responsibility, which is not feeling responsible for the individual. Like I mentioned, we are selfish and usually do not care about others. I can recall a situation just a couple of weeks ago where a couple of my friends and I were driving on the interstate late at night when we saw a car in the ditch with its lights on. It appeared to have been in distress, but we assumed someone else driving by would call it in. I think the reason we did not call it in was because we did not think it was our responsibility to take care of them. Now that I recall the situation, I regretfully wished we would have called for help....
  • Posted Lying or Not? to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
    We all know what a polygraph test is but do we know how accurate they are? We know from our psychology book that the tests measure the changes in skin conductance and even respiration. According to truthorlie.com, it is fairly close to 100 percent correct. The article suggests that it depends on the experience of the examiner. If you have an inexperienced examiner, they might not be able to read the results correctly after each question. However, if an experienced examiner reads the results, they have the practice and knowledge in knowing what to look for. The article brings up an example of an examiner asking ten questions. The examiner identified seven correct decisions, wrong in one, and two were inconclusive. Since there were eight definitive answers and two inconclusive, the article figured the accuracy to be 87.5%. That is pretty accurate. Common errors in a inexperienced examiner are things such as misinterpretation of the data, weak training of the individual, badly worded questions, and improper use of testing techniques. In my opinion I do not the polygraph test should be used in order to predict the accuracy of lies or truths. In critical situations, like court, there is such uncertainty with the test that it should not be reliable. Someone may be convicted that should not be because of an unreliable test. http://www.truthorlie.com/whyerr.html...
  • Posted Violent Video Games and TV shows affect on Children to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
    Violent Video games and TV shows affect children's behavior positively and negatively. As we saw in our discussion section, children reacted to both violent and peaceful TV shows. After the TV shows, they started playing with each other. We noticed that after they watched the peaceful Barney show they were happily getting along and playing with each other. After the Power Rangers show was done they started acting out the fighting that occurred in the TV show. At an early age, children are very susceptible to imitating what they see and hear. So it does not surprise me that this is happening. TV shows and video games have the most impact on these children at a young age. Parents are not monitoring the TV or video games a child watches. A great example of a video game that has great influence on children's behavior is Grand Theft Auto. As a player of this video game, I can see how children may imitate the actions from the game. It involves beating people down with bats and shooting people and even stealing cars. This is not the proper material to be showing a child a young age. I am not saying all children that play these games will go on to perform these actions, but a certain amount will. I fortunately was not affected by the actions of the game. I know there are limitations to obtaining these games to play, but all it takes is for a child to go to a friend's house and play it. I know in my future of being a parent I will monitor what my child is watching and playing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsMFsdS3aqU...
  • Posted False Memories to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQr_IJvYzbA Many people are fooled by false memories. We see it in movies, in books, and even our real lives. In the link I posted, Elizabeth Loftus experimented with a subject about false memories. He gave such a detailed description of what never happened. Loftus decepted him into believing that he really went to the mall and had those encounters which in reality, he did not. We experience this kind of false memory all the time in our lives. For example, I could probably tell exactly what I was doing on September 11, 2001, but it would probably not be right. I can only remember bits and pieces of what actually happened. I would probably add a few things that I though happened, but really did not. This part of psychology intrigues me. I want to know how and why our mind tricks us like that. It would be helpful if we did not have any false memories at all, especially for crimes and finding the suspect. If we did not have false memory, we would be able to confidently identify a criminal. I wish I was one of those people with the rare condition of always remembering exactly what happened at any given moment. It would be easier to describe a crucial moment in your life. It would be enjoyable to be able to look back and remember any moment and remember how fun it really was....
  • Posted False Memory to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
  • Posted Gateway Drugs to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
    Many articles have been written about Marijuana being the "gateway drug" into many other harmful drugs. A gateway drug is defined by Merriam-Webster dictionary as a drug (as alcohol or marijuana) whose use is thought to lead to the use of and dependence on a harder drug (as cocaine or heroin). I am firm believer in this theory. I am from a small town in Minnesota where I see this happen all the time. Many students from my high school first got involved with alcohol and marijuana, which led to the usage of other drugs. It also led to some becoming dealers of the drugs. I have seen it happen in person as well. I have been around some of my friends when they start experimenting with these harmful drugs. It's not just drugs either. I have seen alcohol lead to smoking cigarettes regularly. Getting involved with the harmful drugs can lead to trouble. Trouble with the law as well as trouble with education and career. The harmful drugs harness someone from succeeding in what they do. The students from my high school that used the harmful drugs ended up dropping out of school. The others that graduated did not go on to college. There are just too many consequences of getting involved with alcohol and marijuana. You do not want to get sucked in to the gateway for other harmful drugs. I feel that there is a lack of effort in trying to stop kids getting involved with gateway drugs. I want there to be more programs and awareness of this problem....
  • Posted Nature vs. Nurture to Psych 1001 Section 010 and 011 Fall 2011
    The Nature vs. Nurture debate has been going on for some time now. My viewpoint on this debate is that children are nurtured into the way they act. Sure, your genes have impact in how you act, but it's the life experiences that you encounter and learn from that make you who you are. For example, my father is a hard working man that didn't go to college. Yet he worked hard throughout his life managing his family and job to provide the best life for us. I am the exact same way. I work hard in everything I do. I don't expect things to be handed to me. Nurture can also be affected by not just your family, but your friends and elders. Another example for me is my Physical Education teacher. He was the guy that instilled with me discipline that I will live with for the rest of my life. He made me determined and motivated to achieve greatness in everything I do. I do not believe I was born with these characteristics. They were taught to me by one of my elders proving that learning through my life experiences (nurture), made me what I am today. I would like to see studies performed that show that nature was the main factor in who someone is today. It would be interesting to find out how he or she differ from their parents and also how they are similar to one another. The subject intrigues me to find out how children are who they are today....
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from nogax001

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page