Samantha G

• Posted It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Consumerism to In Theory
    Jean Baudrillard discusses the influence of advertising in modern society in his essay. I really liked how he brought up advertisements as a commodity that is consumed. This reminded me of how many people not only watch the Super...
  • Posted The Rich Stay Rich and the Poor Stay Poor to In Theory
    In "The Forms of Capital", Bourdieu discusses how different forms of capital help reproduce privilege across generations. According to Bourdieu, there are three forms of capital: economic, cultural, and social capitals. Economic capital is capital that can be immediately...
  • Posted OBE 4 - Dominant Knowledge Structures to In Theory
    In "Black Feminist Epistemology", Patricia Hill Collins discusses the dominant white-male knowledge structures in the United States. She begins by discussing epistemology and how it creates a power structure through knowledge. "Epistemology points to the ways in which power relations...
  • Posted OBE #3 Woman as the "Other" Sex to In Theory
    In Simone De Beauvoir's, The Second Sex, she poses the question, "what is a woman?" She begins to try to answer this question by introducing the concept of women as the "Other". De Beauvoir explains how throughout history women have...
  • Posted OBE #2 - Racial Domination in the 20th Century to In Theory
    Dubois's notion of double consciousness is rather similar to Marx's ideas about alienation that he wrote about in the Manuscripts. In the Souls of Black Folk, Dubois writes about this "double consciousness" of black people at the turn of the...
  • Posted FBE Wealth Distribution in America to In Theory
    In the Communist Manifesto, the part that stood out to me most was the second chapter as a whole. Marx becomes idealistic and filled with emotion about his views on the way the world should be. To me, this chapter...
  • Posted OBE #1 - Marx on the Alienation of Workers in a Capitalist Society to In Theory
    In Marx's Economic and Philosophic Manuscripts of 1844, Marx describes the downfalls of a capitalist society. First, he argues, "that the worker sinks to the level of a commodity and becomes indeed the most wretched of commodities" (pg. 1). In...
  • Posted Electric Shocks and Obedience to Section 16 and 17 F11 PSY 1001
    If I had to pick one concept from Psychology 1001 that I will remember five years from now, I think it would be Stanley Milgram's obedience experiment. Out of every topic that was discussed this semester, Milgram's experiments are the...
  • Posted Do Twins Have Their Own Language? to Section 16 and 17 F11 PSY 1001
    There was a video clip that became extremely popular on the internet that sparked the question that there was a chance twins have their own language. There has always been a question in everyone's minds about twins having their own...
  • Posted Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind to Section 16 and 17 F11 PSY 1001
    I found the section in chapter seven about erasing painful memories extremely interesting. The ethics behind the research are controversial. If we could erase every painful memory we ever had, would we still grow and learn from our mistakes? I...
  • Posted Night Terrors to Section 16 and 17 F11 PSY 1001
    I became interested in night terrors a few years back when I woke up to my nephew screaming and crying at the top of his lungs from the guest room. I panicked when I realized there was nothing I could...
  • Posted Psychopath Test? to Section 16 and 17 F11 PSY 1001
    I found this story about a "genuine" psychological test used to see if one has the same mentality as a killer. The test contains a story about a girl who falls in love with a man she does not...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from Samantha G