M. Sarwat

• Posted Personalized Recommendation Fits well in Database Systems to It's All about Data !
    "What users (customers) really want?" a question asked by almost every business and online retail store. The answer to this question helps users find interesting items (products, movies, books) to buy, watch, read, etc... In a pursuit to such...
  • Posted Geographical Changes Matter to It's All about Data !
    Ever since the big bang and the creation of the universe, our planet Earth encountered so many geographical changes, e.g., climate change, deforestation, population migration, and changes in sea levels. Such changes may have positive and/or negative effects on...
  • Posted About Giraph: Large-Scale (Big) Graph Analytics to It's All about Data !
    Recently, I had the chance to install, modify, compile, and run Apache Giraph; a system that processes batch-jobs (analytics tasks) over large-scale graphs (e.g., shortest path, PageRank). Giraph is deemed an open source implementation of Pregel which was introduced by...
  • Posted Playing with Twitter Data (Retrieve Top 10 hashtags) to It's All about Data !
    This blog entry exhibits a simple method to retrieve the ten most frequently occurring hashtags in a given set of tweets. First, we need a function that retrieves the set of hashtags attached to a given tweet. That function...
  • Posted Playing with Twitter Data (Get the 1% Livestream) to It's All about Data !
    Recently, I have been playing with twitter data. Below is a basic python script that fetches the 1% live-stream tweets published by twitter. To access the live stream, you will need to have the oauth2 library installed for authentication...
  • Posted A quick look inside Sindbad to It's All about Data !
    Recently, members of the data management lab at the University of Minnesota demonstrated Sindbad; a location-aware social networking system. From a user perspective, Sindbad can be considered as the Location-Aware Facebook (or Google+). In that sense, Sindbad got all the...
  • Posted Finding Popular Places using Trajectories to It's All about Data !
    Recently, I have read the following paper: finding popular places published in the 18th international conference on Algorithms and computation (ISAAC 2007). I have presented the paper with Abhigna adusumilli and Rahul Saladi in the advanced computational geometry seminar....
  • Posted Spatial Location matters in Recommender Systems to It's All about Data !
    Recently, I have presented a paper at ICDE 2012. The paper title is: "LARS: A Location-Aware Recommender System". The paper is a joint work with Justin Levandoski, Ahmed Eldawy, and Mohamed Mokbel. The main idea of the paper is to...
  • Posted Recommender Systems and Databases to It's All about Data !
    My paper "RecStore: An Extensible and Adaptive Framework for Online Recommender Queries inside the Database Engine" has been recently accepted to the International Conference on Extending Database Technology. The paper is a joint work with Justin J. Levandoski, Mohamed F....
  • Posted Simulating the Users Check-Ins at GeoSpatial Locations to It's All about Data !
    Here, I present the result of simulating the check-in process in a location-based social network. To this end, I have written a python script using SimPy, a Python-based simulation tool, the script is given below: #!/usr/bin/env python """ Simulate the...
  • Posted Friendship and Mobility to It's All about Data !
    A couple of weeks ago, I have read this paper: "Friendship and Mobility: User Movement In Location-Based Social Networks". The paper is published in the proceedings of the 17th ACM SIGKDD Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining. The paper...
  • Posted Playing with Foursquare Data to It's All about Data !
    Recently, I have been interested in analyzing social networking data. Mainly, I have been playing with Foursquare data. To those who don't know what Foursquare is, it is a mobile location-based social network application. Foursquare users are associated with a...
  • Posted Conference Peer Review Process! to It's All about Data !
    I was thinking about how the database research community is accepting new ideas. I usually (or should I say always) have hard times trying to come up with this sort of persuasive argument in my papers. Actually, I try to...
  • Posted Best Research Paper Award to It's All about Data !
    I recently received the Best Paper Award in 12th international symposium on spatial and temporal databases. I believe the closest word to describe my feeling is "Ecstasy", though not enough. I felt it would be good if I could share...
  • Posted Two Years in Minnesota to It's All about Data !
    This Month marks my two years anniversary in Minnesota, I would like to share with you what I have achieved during them: 1) received my master's degree in computer science at University of Minnesota. 2) Passed my PhD qualifying exams...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from M. Sarwat