Thomas Chan

• Commented on Things are never as simple as they seem
    You show a good application of psychological principles, especially the principle of explaining other hypotheses. The way you spoke up to show your parents another viewpoint is a great application of the topics covered in psych 1001, and something I...
  • Commented on Why Do I Do What I Do?
    Your points about Operant conditioning are interesting, particularly because they can be applied to many real world situations, such as subtly teaching a new employee the tricks of the trade. I work at a pizza parlor, for example, and many...
  • Commented on Psych 1001 Words of Wisdom
    Many of the points you raise are interesting, specifically how many people do not understand correlation vs causation. I was talking with one of my friends the other day, and he seemed to have trouble grasping the concept, just like...
  • Commented on Finding my inner Zen
    I too am impressed by how psych 1001 has helped me deal with stress simply by educating me about it. I participated in a REP study that studied the effects of stress and stress management, and this was particularly helpful...
  • Commented on What are the real effects of alcohol?
    The consequences of alcohol is a very interesting subject. One subset of this that particularly interests me is Fetal alcohol syndrome. It's highly important that we educate ourselves about this debilitating problem lest it occur in our futures....
  • Commented on Parenting Styles and How Parents Should Be
    I find this topic interesting as well, authoritative parents are definitely the most beneficial, they teach their children limits while at the same time providing comfort and love....
  • Commented on Looking Forward: The Principles of Attraction
    I agree with you, the principles of attraction are a fascinating topic, mainly because it's really neat to see how they influence relationships in my own life. This topic will definitely stay with me for the next 5 years....
  • Commented on Stages of Development: A New Way of Thinking
    It's really cool how we've discovered that childhood development is a continuous process rather than a stage like process. It really helps to be informed about childhood growth in preparation for future events....
  • Commented on The Science of Arousal
    This is a really interesting topic because now that we know how advertising companies subliminally influence us, it becomes much easier to view these ads with more objectivity. I will definitely remember this topic in 5 years as well!...
  • Commented on Life is Short, Stay Awake for it
    Sleep definitely is one of the most interesting topics in psychology, especially since we know so little about it in comparison to many other neurological functions. A part of sleep I found particularly interesting was Lucid Dreaming, and its different...
  • Commented on Phineas Gage: A Tragic Story
    The story of Phineas Gage is incredibly interesting because he is one of the only people to survive such a debilitating accident, albeit with unexpected consequences. Psychologists can study the case of Gage and determine the effects of damage to...
  • Commented on Beauty and the Beast?!
    You make a good point with the rules of attraction and applying them to popular culture, it's really neat how the rules of attraction seem to be universally applicable and fit a variety of situations....
  • Posted The Different Systems of Memory to Sections 24 and 25 SP12 PSY 1001
    As Psych 1001 draws to a close, one topic stands out to me among all the concepts covered in the course. That topic is how our memory systems work. The human memory system is conceived of 3 different systems, sensory,...
  • Commented on Does your attractiveness affect your Career and Relationships
    This is a hot topic in today's society because many people today take advantage of their physical characteristics and attractiveness to get ahead in their fields. This advancement, however, comes at the expense of others who may or may not...
  • Commented on Beauty in the eye of the Beholder
    Beauty obviously varies wildly from person to person, and while we can draw some general consensus about beautiful people, there will always be a huge amount of variation between people's taste in beauty....
  • Commented on Social Facilitation and the History of the "rabbit"
    I agree with your point, I perform much better when I have someone to compete with or measure myself against, it kick starts my competitive instincts which help me perform much better than normal....
  • Commented on Birth Order: Does It Really Matter?
    You raise an interesting point on the replication of birth order studies. My own family tends to run contrary to typical birth order studies as well, the youngest is the safest one, and the eldest is the risk taker....
  • Commented on Part of the Crowd
    I agree with you, people in general tend to perform better or act differently in the prescence of crowds and large groups....
  • Commented on "Vampire+Human=?!"
    You make a great connection between a fictional story and the principles of psychological attraction. Great job!...
  • Commented on How the Big5 are reflected in your study habits.
    You draw an interesting correlation between the big 5 and study habits,I wonder if a broader sample would show if study habits are correlated to big 5 traits among students in general....
  • Commented on Lie detectors don't work.....What will?
    This is an interesting topic. Lie detectors have been shown to be beatable before and you raise an interesting point about how a new standard of lie detectors and/or an alternative procedure for detecting lies may be necessary....
  • Commented on Consider the other Sexes
    Your blog is very informative and raises several questions about equal treatment of sexes at the university. However, a good way to determine the sexual status of students is also necessary and could prove difficult to achieve....
  • Commented on Sexual Orientation
    I agree with you, nurture plays a significant role in determining an individuals overall sexuality, but it is important to remember that nature is also a significant factor as well. Many people today act as if sexuality is determined solely...
  • Posted Sexual Orientation to Sections 24 and 25 SP12 PSY 1001
    In today's society, the issue of gay marriage is a controversial topic. Psychological studies, however, have shown that homosexuality is often determined by many factors, including biological ones, such as hormonal imbalances in the womb and differences in brain functions....
  • Posted Are you in charge of yourself? Not as much as you'd think. to Sections 24 and 25 SP12 PSY 1001
    Recent research performed by the television series BBC horizon indicates that human beings are not as in control of their functions and actions as they think. Humans have long believed that they have exclusive control over their own actions and...
  • Posted Uncommon Sense to Sections 24 and 25 SP12 PSY 1001
    While many people place great faith in their ability to understand events and people through use of their "common sense", there are many situations where common sense is incorrect and unhelpful. Two common misconceptions illustrate how common sense and naive...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from Thomas Chan

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page