duval053

• Posted Psychoanalysis: A Theory That Stays to Sections 24 and 25 SP12 PSY 1001
    Five years from now, I will remember the concepts of Freud and psychoanalysis. Since Sigmund Freud first developed his theories in the early 20th century, his ideas are still seen as out of the ordinary today, which makes them...
  • Commented on Wait, I Thought That??
    This is a really interesting way to test our unconsciousness. I have heard how many surveys are geared to sort through biases and certain unconscious prejudices. It's great to try and do an IAT in order to see just our...
  • Commented on If You Want to Hang With Us, Smoke This.
    Peer pressure among young adults has been a reoccurring dilemma for a long time in regards to smoking, drinking, and other harmful behaviors. Many teens find they would never partake in these actions unless they were pressured by another person...
  • Commented on Freud: the Man, the Myth, the Thought Provoker
    I agree on the fact that Freud provoked many thoughts on the unconscious and the separation of personalities. Although many of his ideas have been dismissed, his theories were important throughout the 20th century and caused more accurate research into...
  • Commented on Sexual Orientation
    The 'nature' theory conjures a lot of evidence that biology is the main cause of homosexuality. However, it is impossible to forget that 'nurture' must have a role as well. I feel it depends on the person and their life...
  • Commented on Girls Can Be Aggressive Too!
    As a female, these observations prove to be pretty accurate. It is a rare occasion when someone sees a physical girlfight, and if it occurs it is usually a big deal. However, girls are aggressive in discreet ways when they...
  • Commented on Stop telling me to be thin!
    I strongly agree that media does play a role in how we perceive ourselves and it advertises unrealistic body types to women and men everywhere. However, The Biggest Loser is a reality TV show about severely obese individuals who lose...
  • Commented on The Key to Weight Loss? Eating Snacks
    This article is not only accurate for snacks, but it has been proven that 5-6 small meals a day is more healthy than 3 larger meals. I feel like the key and hard part to this diet is to make...
  • Commented on Monkey in the Middle
    This is an effective and famous experiment, but could there have been other factors as to why the monkey repeatedly chose the terrycloth mother? From the picture, it seems as though the soft mother looks more similar to the rhesus...
  • Posted Blame Your Brain, Not Your Stomach to Sections 24 and 25 SP12 PSY 1001
    Many of us gauge when or when not to eat food by the grumbling or empty feeling in our stomachs. However, what most people don't know is that our hunger levels are controlled in our brains, not our stomachs; sequences...
  • Commented on Does Legalizing Abortion Decrease Crime Rates?
    This point really takes into account the "Correlation vs. Causation" effect. It is also a harsh way to look at a drop in crime; abortions may be more common in poverty stricken areas, but major decreases shown can't be just...
  • Commented on Detecting Lies
    I agree on the notion that polygraphs are effective ways to determine if someone is lying, but I feel they aren't as accurate as people seem. Like you mentioned, many people become nervous anyways when they are asked questions even...
  • Commented on Freakonomics: Decision Making with a Twist
    This seems like an interesting book! I think it's important for college students to read books that give them good information but are also interesting. Many people don't realize that even little decisions that they make can affect them in...
  • Commented on Consciousness... In Robots?
    For the past decades, artificial intelligence has been seen in many science fiction works. I never thought about the aspect of how the cognitive abilities of humans are unique to us and giving that to robots would then share our...
  • Commented on Will Arnold Schwarzenegger One Day Stop Virtual Memories from Existing?
    I think it's interesting how in this particular movie, in the future, it takes complicated technology to implant memories; when now, it only takes certain methods. Either technological or psychological, I agree that there could be possible negative outcomes from...
  • Commented on The Smart Dog, Jesse
    This is an interesting way to connect the lessons of learning to everyday life. Reinforcing dogs in order to train them is an effective way to communicate to them what you want them to do, and this video is an...
  • Commented on Animals Are the Way to Your Heart...or Wallet
    The ASPCA commercials are certainly accurate in using classical conditioning in order to get their point across. Even if I hear a couple seconds of "Angel" I automatically think of the poor and hurt animals from the commercial. I don't...
  • Commented on The Greatest Frontier
    I agree with the statement of our brains being a frontier; the human brain is capable of many adaptations as our environment changes and scientists will always have the ability to explore more of the mind. Although I feel like...
  • Commented on Are you in charge of your decisions?
    The fact that our brains have made a decision prior to when we are even conscious about it is really surprising. I find it interesting how our unconscious already knows what is going to happen; but how does it know?...
  • Commented on I'm not blind, I can see with my ears!
    This story is interesting because it's amazing how he thought to use this technique and became successful when determining the objects around him. I have heard that those who are blind develop stronger hearing or smelling, but this shows that...
  • Posted Why Your Dog Wouldn't Bark Up the Wrong Tree to Sections 24 and 25 SP12 PSY 1001
    Most everyone knows that the canine's most powerful sense is its smell, but they don't realize that a dog is reliant on their hearing as well. Despite being cute and furry, a dog's large open ears contain at least...
  • Commented on To Spank, Or Not To Spank
    Spanking has been a common punishment for younger children for a long time so it can't just be linked to an authoritarian parenting style. Many authoritative families see this kind of punishment as acceptable as long as it doesn't inflict...
  • Posted There Are Different Ways of Being Smart to Sections 24 and 25 SP12 PSY 1001
    Chapter nine focuses on intelligence: what it is, why there are different kinds, and how to measure it. What struck me as interesting was the aspect of multiple intelligences; how some people have a greater skill in certain intelligences...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from duval053

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page