grie0233

• Commented on Pavlov: Conditioning for the Ages
    Conditioned learning can be applied to so many situations, for pets and humans alike. It is very useful to know how it works so you can try it on your own. I agree with you that Pavlovian's findings are powerful....
  • Commented on Things are never as simple as they seem
    I totally agree with you that remembering to look at every aspect and perspective is important. People are the way they are due to their nature and multiple experiences they've had in the past. It's not easy to pick out...
  • Commented on Are You Really In Control?
    Humans are notorious for attempting to explain what they don't completely understand. When we make choices we think of a logical reason for why we did what we did. Although that may not be the actual case. There are probably...
  • Commented on A Prisoner or a Free Man?
    Zimbardo was lucky his experiment even went that long. What ended up happening was obviously not what the participants, especially the prisoners, signed up for. One of the very few good things that came out of this was the greater...
  • Commented on Needles in your back?
    I've always thought this procedure was very odd. I'm not exactly sure what the science is behind it, though. I wonder why it's more common to see in other countries than here. It's cool that you've actually had acupuncture done...
  • Commented on Crowds Acting As One
    As you said, I think social contagion can be a good and bad thing. Personally, I love being part of a crowd at intense sporting games. It's a little uncomfortable cheering by yourself, but as soon as a large group...
  • Commented on Birth Order: Does It Really Matter?
    Replicability is very important, I agree. It's one of those things where you can generalize but it will not be consistent with every family. Like mine, I have one older brother. There is no middle child so what role to...
  • Commented on Is Samantha Brick "Too Beautiful" or "Just Average"?
    I read some of her article when it was first published. I don't remember everything but I do remember laughing...a lot. I think she's probably exaggerating her stories to fulfill her need for attention and boost her self-esteem. If she...
  • Commented on The Pasta-Chocolate Diet: Too Good To Be True?
    This is a good topic to be addressed as society becomes more and more obsessed with attaining the perfect figure. Like you mentioned, diets may work for awhile but as soon as you stop, the results won't last for long....
  • Commented on To believe or not believe, that is the question.
    I agree with your skepticism. I don't think polygraph tests are as accurate as they were once thought to be. The principles of scientific thinking would lead us to reexamine causation of the person's arousal as it could be due...
  • Commented on Twilight: Of Course a Successful Love Story
    I think it is possible to only have two out of the three principles in attraction. Later on they found that they shared similar interests like music and values such as family. Similarity may not have been there right away,...
  • Commented on The Death of Reason = The Human Heart
    Very interesting topic. I can't imagine what the world would be like if people weren't willing to change their minds about things they think to be true. There would never be progression, scary thought. Using politicians was a good example...
  • Commented on you don't smoke? you can't be cool!
    Good examples of the different manipulations. It's amazing how many advertisements we're subjected to a day. They are on the internet, on buildings, television, radio, literally everywhere. It's good that cigarette ads had to start being regulated. People don't really...
  • Commented on Art Taken to a New Dimension
    This kind of artwork is awesome. It’s so good that I can’t even tell if the drinks in the front are real or not. It’s weird that our perception can be so easily distorted. You have to have a great...
  • Commented on The Greatest Frontier
    Nice, insightful post. I agree that the human brain is an amazing thing. We have so many abilities that other species don’t. It makes me think a lot about evolution and why we were the ones that advanced exponentially. The...
  • Posted I Just Can't Get Enough...sleep to Sections 24 and 25 SP12 PSY 1001
    There are few things in this world that I love more than sleep. A concept from this class that I will remember is what I learned about the biology of sleep. A major problem I have is getting a...
  • Commented on Can you tell someones sexuality by looking in their genes?
    I agree with your stance that homosexuality has more to do with nature rather than nurture. I believe that people don’t just “become” gay because of the environment they’re raised in. It’s shocking that people still think there is something...
  • Posted Aggression and Video Games to Sections 24 and 25 SP12 PSY 1001
    If I were asked if violent video games caused more aggressive behavior in youth, I would say no. The controversy over the issue has led to the same number of studies saying they have a positive correlation as no...
  • Commented on Airborne debunked?
    You’re right to be skeptical of products like these. There is no evidence that the product actually does what it says. In fact, Airborne faced a lawsuit over misleading claims. Still though, people think it works and keep buying it....
  • Commented on "The Bender Ball's" Bending the Truth
    This is a great argument and the video is hilarious. I just feel bad about the wasted time I spend watching stupid infomercials sometimes! I agree with all of the points you make here. It’s a wonder anyone could believe...
  • Commented on The Murder of Kitty Genovese
    I’ve heard of this before, this story is terrifying. Her neighbors could have potentially saved her life but instead each one has to live with the burden that they could have done something. I think it’s obvious that it’s better...
  • Commented on It's Not Always the Serial Killer's Fault
    This is a great example of repression. I’ve only seen a few episodes of the show but in those I’ve seen it multiple times where current situations recall his past experiences. I remember Freud having interesting theories about how this...
  • Posted The Screen Adds Ten Pounds to Sections 24 and 25 SP12 PSY 1001
    Recently, people have been looking for an answer to the obesity "crisis". Television viewing and computer use are both scrutinized as leading factors of obesity, especially in teens. They are activities that leave people sedentary, looking at a screen for...
  • Posted Teaching Braille Makes Sense to Sections 24 and 25 SP12 PSY 1001
    Chapter four had to do with sense and perception. All of the human senses were talked about, including what we see and how we see them. It also mentions how some are unable to do so. Many of us can't...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from grie0233

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page