marin129

• Posted Seriously Stressed Out to Sections 24 and 25 SP12 PSY 1001
    I'm a junior in college preparing to apply to medical schools in a month and dealing with the workload of three majors. Stress is pretty much the definition of my life. Over the last half of this semester, I...
  • Commented on If You Want to Hang With Us, Smoke This.
    I believe that personality is key to challenge of peer pressure and social conformity. As a child, I was very shy and introverted and had good relationships with my parents. I neither had the desire to rebel nor the personality...
  • Commented on Social Facilitation and the History of the "rabbit"
    I actually use this method to study! I know that when I work in the presence of another person (preferrably a friend who won't talk a lot), I feel motivated to keep working much later than I would by myself...
  • Commented on "F~R~I~E~N~D~S"
    I have this exact problem as I grew up 8.5 hours away from here, and my friends, like me, went to college all over the country. I believe that networking sites like Facebook and Skype actually make it easier to...
  • Commented on Sometimes, "few" is better than "many".
    The bystander effect is a very interesting phenomenon. I wonder, however, if some people are more prone to the bystander effect than others. For example, if you were raised in a big city, you might be used to the bystander...
  • Commented on How the Big5 are reflected in your study habits.
    This is a very interesting thought. Obviously I'm not aware of research on this question, but if I had to guess, there would probably be little to no correlation because there are so many other variables involved in our "finals...
  • Commented on Birth Order: Does It Really Matter?
    I am generally one who would agree with the idea that birth order can influence someone's personality. Research clearly demonstrates this overarching idea is invalid, although I'm not entirely convinced. I feel like there are a lot of variables involved...
  • Commented on Does your attractiveness affect your Career and Relationships
    It's human nature to judge people and how they look, so this is never going to go away. What people need to consider is perhaps more of a logical balance of qualities and maybe even get 3rd party opinions. It...
  • Commented on Is Samantha Brick "Too Beautiful" or "Just Average"?
    Another reason why some women might have more guyfriends than girlfriends might also be because they can't stand the drama of girls. I am a very agreeable, conscientous person, and I have many girlfriends. However, I have more guyfriends....
    I don't know if I agree with your interpretation of the speed dating statistics given from our book. The fact that men respond to 50% of the women they encountered doesn't mean these women were only in the top 50%...
  • Commented on Eating Disorder Causes a High Death Rate
    Your statistic about people getting AN in their 20s and 30s is very interesting. What I would like to know more about is what the statistics are like for people who develop this in their early teens. I knew someone...
  • Commented on The Apple Doesn't Fall Far From the Tree
    It is very interesting to examine the different parenting styles and see how they generally affect children's behavoir and performance in the future. However, I'm more interested in how a child's personality comes into the equation. I am the oldest...
  • Commented on Tell Me When! [Leptin: Our body's hunger communicator]
    I have learned a lot about leptin in my endocrinology and physiology classes. The hormone grehlin, produced in the stomach, induces hunger, whereas leptin, produced by white adipose tissue, stimulates satiety. The original research on the effects of leptin actually...
  • Posted Dying to be Beautiful to Sections 24 and 25 SP12 PSY 1001
    I feel like people have a lot of misconceptions concerning anorexia nervosa and similar eating disorders. Treating anorexia is not just about helping patients gain weight; it is about giving them appropriate psychiatric care. Self esteem is not easy...
  • Commented on Freakonomics: Decision Making with a Twist
    I actually did read this book in high school, and I agree that it is a very interesting spin on economics. However, now that we're taking Psy 1001, some of the correlations they present beg the question as to whether...
  • Commented on Taylor Swift: A Genius
    I would also have to question this specific definition of multiple intelligences. What is the difference between "talent" and "intelligence"? People who are incredibly gifted in areas like music and sports often got to be that way because they spent...
  • Commented on Out-of-Body Experiences: The Mind-Body Problem
    I found it interesting that the textbook actually covered a topic like out-of-body experiences. The fact is the concept of a soul is not a scientific topic because we cannot disprove its existence (falsifiability). The explanation that science has come...
  • Commented on How to train the dog?
    First of all, let me just say that video is super adorable! My little sister got a puppy almost a year ago, and it is interesting to see how they are training him. First of all, they have been teaching...
  • Commented on The Importance of Getting Some Zzzzz's
    I have read a few papers on chronobiology (the biology of circadian rhythms) over the past couple of weeks, and research suggests that abnormal sleep patterns offset your internal clocks. Each organ likely functions on a different "clock", and health...
  • Commented on I'm not blind, I can see with my ears!
    The plasticity of our brains ia amazing. People who lose one of their senses through blindness, deafness, etc. do learn to compensate through a sharpening of their other senses. It is my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, that...
    It is my understanding that people with FFI do not sleep at all and thus get to the point of coma and death, and it is remarkable that it takes 9 months to reach this point. I find it interesting...
    I was getting at more the fact that I've been told for many years that 7-8 hours is an ok amount of sleep for teenagers to get, but then this class says it's more like 8-9. I just don't understand...
  • Posted The Importance of Getting Some Zzzzz's to Sections 24 and 25 SP12 PSY 1001
    It's incredibly fascinating that scientists still do not understand the true purpose of something as important as sleep. Instead we have a variety of explanations claiming it may help memory consolidation, neural development and connectivity, and the immune system...
  • Commented on Lose 2 pounds per day gaurunteed!
    There are so many things wrong with this claim. (1) Losing weight is all about energy input and output. I'm fairly certain that the decreased input of calories proposed by this diet would cause people to lose more weight than...
  • Commented on The Screen Adds Ten Pounds
    This neuroscience angle you have presented regarding obesity is very interesting as I have never heard such a case presented. I am a physiology and genetics double major, so my ideas about the "obesity epidemic" stem from my particular areas...
  • Posted Beauty in the evolution, not the eye, of the beholder to Sections 24 and 25 SP12 PSY 1001
    Why do men and women find the opposite gender more attractive with dilated pupils? The answer to this question and other related "beauty" issues is actually biological. When we find someone physically attractive, our pupils dilate, which is why...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from marin129

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page