plach008

• Commented on Things are never as simple as they seem
    Great blog! Although I do not watch this show, I do have an understanding of it and realized that it is somewhat designed to be a cutthroat competition. In your argument to your parents, you should a good understanding of...
  • Commented on What are the real effects of alcohol?
    Good blog! Especially in our college years alcohol is an "issue" that comes up time and time again. However, I think that it is only an issue if one is not a controlled drinker and drinks in excessive amounts consistently....
  • Posted Let's Talk About Stress! to Sections 24 and 25 SP12 PSY 1001
    I found the Stress section of the Psychology class (Chapter 12: Stress, Coping, and Health) most interesting and relateable because stress is something that almost every one of us has encountered at some point in our lives. To put...
  • Commented on "I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you."-Friedrich Nietzsche
    I wonder if there are certain "tricks" that this character in Lie To Me used to detect if someone is lying. Like, for example, I once heard that if you look up and to the left instead of up and...
  • Commented on Is Samantha Brick "Too Beautiful" or "Just Average"?
    It is kind of funny how egocentric and naive some people can be. If she truly believes that everyone hates her for being beautiful and that she is being shunned by her co-workers, she should probably start to re-think the...
  • Commented on Part of the Crowd
    I completely agree with the concept of social facilitation as I have had plenty of experience with it in high school while playing competitive sports. When I was aware that certain people were watching me perform, I would usually get...
  • Commented on Grandma has an eating disorder?
    That is definitely an interesting perspective on these eating disorders, and it's so true! I do not envy older celebrities who constantly have unflattering pictures of their bodies plastered in magazines. It's enough to make anyone self conscious and quite...
  • Posted The Pasta-Chocolate Diet: Too Good To Be True? to Sections 24 and 25 SP12 PSY 1001
    In a survey from NHANES, in 2012 about 36% of adults and 17% of children are considered obese. This reason, along with the growing need to become a replica of a stick-thin model, has allowed for many "fad diets" to...
  • Commented on Little Alchemy and Little Processing
    At first glance, it would seem that this game makes available few combinations for the player to figure out. Is there a goal or a way to win the game? I guess I do not understand how a player progresses...
  • Commented on The Polygraph Test: Convicting Innocent People Since 1915
    I think that a polygraph test should NEVER be used to determine a person's innocence. Some of the ways that this test deems a person is lying is by the amount of sweat produced, increased heart rate, etc. However, this...
  • Commented on Eating Disorder Causes a High Death Rate
    I, too, have never thought about how eating disorders such as anorexia nervosa affects other countries. I wonder if it affects some countries more? It is is common that the women in Asian countries are generalized to be extremely skinny...
  • Commented on Freakonomics: Decision Making with a Twist
    I have heard great things about this book from many people! It is interesting to see how completely opposite ideas may have a correlation (and maybe a causation) between the two. However, it is important to be cautious when trying...
  • Commented on Business: it's a Multicultural Affair
    This is an interesting point you have brought up. I am also in Carlson and took a management class last semester that placed emphasis on thoroughly understanding the culture you intend on doing business with. It was interesting to see...
  • Commented on The Death of Reason = The Human Heart
    I think that you are absolutely right. It is often hard for me to change my mind about an idea when for so long I have believed it to be true, even when there is not strong enough evidence to...
  • Commented on Concussions: Dazed and Confused.
    Ouch! Watching that video makes my head hurt. It is unfortunate how common concussions are becoming nowadays and how it can negatively affect that person when repeatedly having head trauma. What I do think is good that the NFL and...
  • Commented on How Did It Happen To YOU?
    Nice comparison with other people who you were around when the tragedy of 9/11 happened. Surprisingly, I do not really remember what I was doing when 9/11 occurred. All I remember is that, later that night, I thought this terrorist...
  • Commented on Take more Naps and STILL Have Time for Homework?
    This is quite interesting! I read some more articles on the Uberman Cycle and was disappointed when it had said that no one thus far has been able to stick with this sleeping schedule. But it is an interesting concept...
  • Posted Jason McElwain, an unlikely hero to Sections 24 and 25 SP12 PSY 1001
    Jason McElwain's life changed on February 15, 2006. After being the Greece Athena High School basketball team manager throughout his high school career, he was finally given the chance to suit up and play in a game his senior year....
  • Commented on I'm not blind, I can see with my ears!
    This is honestly one of the most interesting blogs I have read so far. And after watching the video, I am truly amazed at what Ben can do after going blind at the age of two! I can not even...
  • Commented on Introducing the latest super hero: THE SUPERTASTER!
    Nice blog. Thank goodness I am a normal taster and don't have to separate out my food to get the different tastes of each while eating. I can just dig in! This blog makes me wonder how many "picky eaters"...
  • Commented on A Teenager's...Accidental...Secret Weapon
    Wow, I really liked this blog! I did not know that this sound frequency can only be heard by most teenagers. However, when I tried to listen to it, I could not hear it. :( I wonder if, as time...
  • Commented on The Screen Adds Ten Pounds
    Great blog! I agree that it is difficult to pinpoint that cause of obesity as MANY factors play a role in it. However, it would be wrong for experts to say that computers and television cause obesity. They should be...
  • Commented on Is Face Recognition a Learned Ability?
    This blog was very interesting! This reminded me of a video clip that we had watched in one of lectures where the woman had some type of disorder where she was not capable of recognizing faces, even her own. It...
  • Commented on SAT: A) Accurate or B) Bogus
    I agree with you. SAT's and ACT's should definitely not be the only thing that measures a person's intelligence when admissions is considering accepting a person into a university. However, I do believe that these type of "intelligence" tests measure...
  • Commented on Can Stress Cause You to Gain White Hair Faster?
    I was wondering how psychologists had measured the amount of stress that each event could have on an individual. In my opinion, the person's attitudes, beliefs and personality could also effect what they deem to be most stressful. However it...
  • Commented on Need a Summer Job? Try Psychotherapy
    Nice blog! It kind of scares me that, in some cases, volunteers and paraprofessionals also provide psychological services. I wonder to what extent they can do this... Can they prescribe medication? And if their patient is in dire need of...
  • Posted It's Not Always the Serial Killer's Fault to Sections 24 and 25 SP12 PSY 1001
    In Chapter 14, personality is defined as people's typical ways of thinking, feeling, and behaving. This chapter goes more into depth of just what personality is and the multiple ways that we can study and explain it. To better understand...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from plach008

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page