scha1140

• Posted Why Do I Do What I Do? to Sections 24 and 25 SP12 PSY 1001
    I found conditioning, both classical and operant, to be one of the most interesting and useful topics covered in this course. Pavlov used dogs, meat powder, and a metronome to prove that a previously neutral stimulus can be paired with...
  • Commented on Multiple Intelligence Score
    I think multiple intelligence is a much better way to gauge a person than a standard intelligence test. While standard IQ tests may be be better for specific instances, multiple intelligence gives a greater idea of what a person can...
  • Commented on Long Term Potentiation (LTP)
    Having played baseball all my life I have always heard how baseball is so dependent on "muscle memory," but have never really though about how this works until this class. LTP occurs every time I throw a baseball, swing a...
  • Commented on Everyone's Doing It, So It's OK
    I think the idea of conformity is one of the most important topics discussed in psychology. People are constantly conforming to others around them; Asch's study showed how extreme conformity can be, with people knowingly giving the wrong answers simply...
  • Commented on How Would Freud Explain Prejudice?
    As the text says, the IAT lacks falsifiability because if the test results say someone holds a specific prejudice and the person denies this prejudice the test is said to have worked because it is testing the unconscious. On the...
  • Posted How Would Freud Explain Prejudice? to Sections 24 and 25 SP12 PSY 1001
    The idea of implicit prejudices is a very interesting one. Implicit prejudice refers to the unfounded negative belief of which we're unaware of regarding the characteristics of an out-group. To test for this researchers have come up with the Implicit...
  • Commented on Beauty in the eye of the Beholder
    I don't think there's any question that beauty differs from person to person. Environmental influences obviously play a large role in beauty standards around the world. Given the support for the mere-exposure effect it's no wonder why people's perceptions of...
  • Commented on Social Facilitation and the History of the "rabbit"
    I think that the comparison to the pacemaker is a very interesting one, but very fitting. I agree that the presence of another person increases performance. In my opinion this has a lot to do with the Yerkes-Dodson law, measuring...
  • Commented on Does my physical attractiveness get me a job??
    I think it really depends on the type of job and who is conducting the interview. For example, if a key part of the job is persuasion then physical attractiveness may be factored in because those they are trying to...
  • Commented on Is Chocolate a Sign of True Love?
    It's an interesting topic to discuss but I believe people may not openly discuss their true feelings about love, even if they do have them. It's easier to discuss openly the superficiality of love than to think deeply about why...
  • Commented on Little Alchemy and Little Processing
    I personally have tried playing this game on a few different occasions only to get stuck after making the same few elements. I guess I didn't consider the inductive and deductive reasoning that goes into it, but now that you...
  • Commented on Monkey in the Middle
    This is a very interesting experiment, although it does have flaws like those mentioned above. Still, it's interesting to consider how such behavior would carry over to human babies. I think the nourishment is part of the comforting element in...
  • Commented on Dying to be Beautiful
    I think it is very important for people to know how serious of a problem anorexia is. I also think it is very interesting to ponder if it is onset genetically by nature or if society and nurture play the...
  • Commented on To believe or not believe, that is the question.
    Lie detector tests seem useful, but should be taken with a grain of salt. They are obviously more accurate than simply asking someone not hooked up to one a question and trying to figure out if they're lying based on...
  • Commented on The Apple Doesn't Fall Far From the Tree
    The results of this study are interesting, although they make a lot of sense. Finding a middle ground between punishment and giving leeway is very important for parents and often shapes children's behavior in the future. These studies can't simply...
  • Commented on Advertising between 1960-2012: How much have consumers changed?
    I think it's interesting how ads these days still try to appeal to consumers in the same basic ways as those 50 years ago. Given the advances in technology and all the psychological research that has been done I would...
  • Commented on Consciousness... In Robots?
    With the increases in this technology it will be very interesting to see how it is utilized in the future. Artificial intelligence can be extremely beneficial, but it also comes with the risks you mentioned. Because of this I am...
  • Commented on Advertising. Is It Really That Simple?
    The advancements in psychological research seem to have really impacted the advertising field. I would be very interested to see how advertisements before such in depth research had been performed and before technological advancements like television compare to advertisements now....
  • Commented on Are you in charge of yourself? Not as much as you'd think.
    This is really interesting. The fact that researchers would be able to predict our actions up to six seconds in advance based on our neural activity is astounding to me. I am really intrigued to know how this evidence fits...
  • Posted Will Arnold Schwarzenegger One Day Stop Virtual Memories from Existing? to Sections 24 and 25 SP12 PSY 1001
    The 1990 film, Total Recall, starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, poses interesting ethical questions regarding memory. The movie tells the story of a man who undergoes a procedure to have false memories implanted in his brain. In this futuristic setting there is...
  • Commented on I'm not blind, I can see with my ears!
    Stuff like this is truly amazing. It's incredible that our brains are able to compensate for deficiencies like vision loss the way they are and even more incredible that this kid is able to rollerblade and do karate! What an...
  • Commented on Shot at Point Blank Range and She is Walking, Talking, and Living a Normal Life
    This reminds me of the story of Phineas Gage, the man who had a tamping iron fired through his skull and walked away from the accident. He seemed to recover fine physically, but those close to him claimed he changed...
  • Commented on Airborne debunked?
    I think it's important to question the effectiveness of things like vitamins rather than simply believing everything you hear, but injecting yourself with an abundance of vitamins is not comparable to the controlled dose of vitamins in supplements like Airborne....
  • Posted How One Freak Accident Changed the Field of Psychology: The Story of Phineas Gage to Sections 24 and 25 SP12 PSY 1001
    Chapter 3 is about biological psychology, going into detail about much of the human body and how it functions. The brain is obviously extremely important, and the prefrontal cortex is arguably the most important aspect of the brain. It is...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from scha1140

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page