mcqu0123

• Commented on Starting to Get Sleepy
    In light of finals week, I am really glad that someone mentioned the effects that a lack of sleep can have on the brain. While it is well known that cramming all night before a test does not do much...
  • Commented on Big Five Personality Traits: A Big Part of Our Lives
    I think one of the applicable uses of knowing our own Big Five is when we start searching for a career path. For example, if we desired to entrepreneurs, but we had a very low level of extraversion, our likelihood...
  • Commented on How to Think: Principles of Scientific Thinking
    Even though we may have hated these critical thinking concepts when we discovered Santa wasn't real (if this is the first time you've heard that I'm truly sorry for more than one reason), this is perhaps one of the most...
  • Commented on Classical Conditioning
    I'm glad that you brought up drug addiction and extinction. I found that concept really interesting and you can see it applied with things like nicotine patches and other such methods to kick a bad habit. However, its important to...
  • Posted 99% of the Stress, 1% of the Semester to Psy 1001 Section 04-05 Spring 2012
    Without a doubt, one of the most applicable concepts in this course is how to cope with stress. No matter what path one chooses in life, you cannot get away from stress. So, learning the right way to deal...
  • Commented on Useful Future Parent Tips that will Impact your entire Child's Life
    I was very thankful that someone posted about this. Like I'm sure almost everyone else, I am guilty of saying, "I'm just going to let my kids do what they want" after being frustrated with my parents. However, I'm glad...
  • Commented on Study Shows that 62% of us are Killers
    This study was maybe one of the most disturbing things I've heard in a long time, even after listening to Call Me Maybe. Before this study, like everyone else, I considered the idea of being forced to kill someone ridiculous....
  • Commented on Stranger Anxiety
    I agree with Sarah, you are probably accurate in saying that the "Zellmenator" has some stranger anxiety. However, if the signs of his stranger anxiety don't diminish over time, then it is very possible that he is just an extremely...
  • Commented on Every-Body is Beautiful
    The thing i found most interesting about this article is that men in Mauritania find obese women attractive since it is a sign of wealth. This sounds relatively similar to women's' preference for wealth and ability to provide. It's seems...
  • Commented on Presidential Morality
    My first response to this was thinking of party politics. Obviously, the different interpretations of moral dilemmas is divided almost exactly down party lines, with each party having the same decision on nearly every single issue. It is entirely possible...
  • Commented on Guilty? The Truth Behind the Polygraph Test
    I'm really happy that someone else though of this show after reading the polygraph section. It was literally the first thing that came to my mind. I think you made a very valid point since it is completely logical that...
  • Commented on Beauty in the Eye of...the Mirror?
    I agree with what you said about the proximity that is formed since we are constantly seeing picture or reflections of ourselves. However, I believe there is also an element of similarity, which you did touch on, but not quite...
  • Posted Do You Have What It Takes to Be Dr. Cal Lightman? to Psy 1001 Section 04-05 Spring 2012
    "Let there be Lightman". Anyone who is an avid fan would recognize this as the narcissistic line Dr. Cal Lightman from "Lie to Me" wanted to use to start his book on facial reading. While people tend to view...
  • Commented on Adolescents are less guilty because of age?
    This is a really interesting topic to think about. It is known that teenagers can tell right from wrong, but depending on what children's mentors teach them as children, their ideas of right and wrong can be very skewed. In...
  • Commented on Business Practices
    After studying both business practices and psychology, I see a rather valid argument to be made here for the nurture side of development and decision-making. I completely agree that there is a mixture of nature and nurture involved, but this...
  • Commented on What's Your Intelligence Type?
    Overall, these different types of intelligence intrigued me. However, I found the bodily-kinesthetic intelligence most interesting. Whenever you hear about a gifted athlete, they are often termed a "natural athlete". I've never really equated a naturally "intelligent" student with a...
  • Commented on Oh my gosh! Why I cannot make it out!
    Honestly, this is the story of my life in calculus last semester. I think we've all had that feeling. What i have found to be effective when you find yourself stuck in a mental set is to do any other...
  • Commented on Hearing Bilingual: How Babies Sort Out Languages
    It would be awesome if my parents had immersed me in a second language, but seeing as both of them only speak English, i really had no shot. However, I think this brings up the interesting point of starting foreign...
  • Commented on The Addiction Solution
    This post gave me an idea. From what you found, would you say that it is possible to tell if someone will become an addict before they ever try a drug just by measuring which chemical inbalanee they have in...
  • Commented on Cigarettes Are Guns?
    I really like the Ted Nugent analogy, its pretty clever, but regardless, I do not think that this ad is intended to sway him or others with similar mind sets. It is likely that this ad is indeed intended to...
  • Commented on Coca-Cola's "Happiness Machine"
    Sarah, as an avid coke consumer, I completely agree with you that its hard to imagine how anyone could still choose Pepsi. However, while I'm sure Coke would love to completely convert every Pepsi fan, this is obviously not possible...
  • Posted Want to Help End the Recession? to Psy 1001 Section 04-05 Spring 2012
    Talk to anyone who watched the Super Bowl and they will definitely remember the Chrysler commercial with Clint Eastwood. While the classic conditioning in this ad is not quite as obvious as in the Eminem ad, it is still there....
  • Commented on Stem Cell Research Debates--when does life begin?
    As far as touchy subjects go, there's no question that this is one for the record books. Anytime you put the words "harvest" and "human embryo" in the same sentence, everyone gets a little squeamish. I am inclined to agree...
  • Posted All Sleep Is NOT Created Equal to Psy 1001 Section 04-05 Spring 2012
    To start off, take a second and try to recall how many times you have been annoyed by someone complaining about how late they were up studying the night before (if you can actually count that high let me...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from mcqu0123