tazel004

• Commented on Drinking and driving; how bad is it really?
    It's great that you touched on this. Drinking and driving is one issue that can never be hackneyed. We've all heard it, we've all seen the consequences, and yet so many people need to hear it again. People don't understand...
  • Commented on An Advertisement Likely to Work
    As effective as these ads seem, I would almost find the second one a little too abrasive. Maybe I'm partial because I don't smoke and wouldn't so I take a different approach to thinking about it, but if I saw...
  • Commented on Multilingualism
    You underestimate the difficulty of learning a new language when you're younger. I had some kind of idea that I would be fluent by the time I got to high school when I was much younger. Even kids in emersion...
  • Commented on Schadenfreude
    I think we all have a little Big Bad in us, really. I think it's human nature, every once in a while you need someone to trip on their face- it makes you feel better (sorry, I sound like a...
  • Commented on Where do YOUR parents fit?
    I also saw some serious evidence of this amongst my friends. I had super lax parents and it's funny to think about how their permissive attitudes may have affected me today. I think the wheel is really more of a...
  • Commented on Starting to Get Sleepy
    I don't think I needed this class to highlight the importance of sleep in my life. You could say I'm one of those people who is useless on anything less than 6 and not-so-great on anything less than 8. Sleep...
  • Commented on Adolescents are less guilty because of age?
    All of these cases I think need to be evaluated on their own. There's really no real answer. It's really hard to sentence someone so young to death, and at the same time prison capacity, the severity of the crime,...
  • Commented on How does Divorce Affect Children?
    I have to say, watching friends go through their parents divorcing in high school has made me so grateful to have parents that are together. I can completely see how that would effect relationships and all the rest of it....
  • Commented on " I would be happy if I were skinny"
    I'd definitely ask the question of whether the good qualities are caused by high self esteem or whether high self esteem contributes to the good qualities. I completely agree with your post though. True beauty is definitely more important, if...
  • Commented on "What is Beautiful is Good"
    I think restaurant service is more representative of this bias than any other industry. Probably retail as well. I've had the fortunate luck to have worked in both retail and food service. In industries where social interactions are short and...
  • Commented on Saying 'yes' to more than JUST a dress...
    I think it's hilarious that marriage is the top thing related to happiness. Not to seem like I have my mind in the gutter here, but science has pointed to sex having a huge impact on happiness and mood. To...
  • Commented on Not to be sexist but...
    You're getting a lot of posts, nice picture choice. I pretty much agree with you. There's not way to really know what gender roles have to do with the intellectual differences between men and women but I get the sense...
  • Commented on What Does Standing Around Do?
    Unfortunately, I have always been aware of this effect. Teaching CPR/First Aid at the Red Cross the first thing we express to people is the importance of what we call " Willingness to Act". It's actually considered one of the...
  • Commented on I Remember It Like It Was Yesterday
    This whole piece on flashbulb memories was shocking to me as well. I had always assumed that if something was super important or life-changing, why wouldn't your memory hold on to it better? You would think it's common sense and...
  • Commented on Find Sense in Nonsense
    Atta boy, Jeff! I agree. It's incredibly important to be able to distinguish between science and pseudoscience in life, no matter who you are. Whether you're evaluating dieting advice your girlfriends are giving you or the credibility of an article...
  • Commented on Is Conformity Always Bad?
    I love that picture, it's hilarious. I think with conformity, it's merely a product of your personality in a lot of cases. To some level, we are all conformists, and we are all nonconformists. It's where we sit on the...
  • Commented on Five Year Impressions
    First off, I agree, those are awesome bikes. Also, I think correlation vs. causation is a great tool for debates as well, and it's one fallacy that I think people tend to fall prey to the most nowadays. Especially in...
  • Commented on Five Years Time
    I completely agree about abnormal psych. I think that was the most intriguing section and also the most important in a lot of ways. It's important for everyone to have at least a basic understanding about it as they go...
  • Posted Ok, I liked one thing about psych. But, just one. to Psy 1001 Section 04-05 Spring 2012
    I have to be greatful for this course in some ways, despite my opposition to psychology as a subject. I frequently was sick of reading about one study to the next only to read in the following paragraph that it...
  • Posted The Lemonade Diet: Aiding Anorexia? to Psy 1001 Section 04-05 Spring 2012
    If you were anorexic and looking for something to explain why you're not eating, use the lemonade diet. It's the most legitimate appearing, celebrity endorsed, and "healthy" cleansing diet on the internet. In fact, even my good friends who normally...
  • Posted The Lemonade Diet: an Anorexic Aid to Psy 1001 Section 04-05 Spring 2012
  • Posted What do Detroit and Chrysler have in Common? Eminem. to Psy 1001 Section 04-05 Spring 2012
    A failing car manufacturer in a failing city can't produce luxury. When you're selling a luxury good and "failure" is the word most highly associated with your brand, things aren't looking up. The media has linked Chrysler, Detroit, and economic...
  • Commented on How Much Exercise is Too Much Exercise?
    It's funny to be asked to think twice about exercising for once. I think this study has interesting concepts, but overall the "over-exercising" problem seems like less of a question of physical well being, and more of a mental problem...
  • Commented on The Dark Side of Ethics
    In my own opinion, I think we are obligated to hold ethics to an extremely high standard. Of course, I would love to see the scientific results and benefits from what we could learn, but I think it would damage...
  • Commented on How Do These Guys Keep Becoming Sociopaths?
    Although this research could be correct, I think the study needed to rule out the plasticity of the brain as a factor. For all we know, someone's upbringing could have a great effect on the way their brain functions and...
  • Posted Whoops! Freshman year... to Psy 1001 Section 04-05 Spring 2012
    It seems to be a time when a lot of people lose their way. The phenomenon of freshman year was the first thing that came to my mind when reading about deindividuation- the tendency of people to engage in atypical...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from tazel004