adam0678

• Commented on Remembering Ms. Anne
    I had a very similar experience when I recently went back to the daycare I used to work at. I was disappointed that some kids didn't recognize me, but it made me glad that I had made such an impression...
  • Commented on Sleeping
    I agree that it was quite eye-opening to learn about sleep and connect it to our own sleep schedules and preferences. Unlike you, I am a zombie all day if I get less than 8 hours of sleep a night;...
  • Commented on his notebook, your notebook, my notebook
    I'm glad you brought up a pop culture reference to talk about memory, it's a common and easily identifiable application of our psych topics. Though I enjoyed the movie, I also believe that it is largely inaccurate knowing what I...
  • Commented on Whose memory is correct? Yours? Mine?
    I have definitely been a victim of false memories, especially if it's a story I've heard a family member tell numerous times--I genuinely start to believe I was there even if I wasn't even born yet! What a strange concept...
  • Commented on The Book was Right
    Everyone has heard the old joke about men being stubborn and never wanting to ask for directions, but now it makes sense! Though we don't know if the stubbornness is more prevalent in men or women, we now know that...
  • Commented on Will I remember anything?
    I was also quite shocked to hear that IQ tests can be biased and not entirely comprehensive of one's knowledge and skill. It makes me think of the dichotomy between book smarts and street smarts, and how we should have...
  • Commented on Quit Feeling Bad About Yourself
    I'm glad you argued both for and against the book's claim--we're already using the concepts of falsifiability and rival hypotheses, even on blog posts! And I agree with both of your statements about upward social comparison; I think we all...
  • Commented on Biases of the experimenter
    I agree that it's hard not to be swayed by biases, especially in competition and win/lose scenarios. I'm glad we are now able to understand where our biases come from and confront them in our everyday lives....
  • Commented on Classical Conditioning
    It always surprises me how instinctual humans really are; though we think we're so much better and far removed from other animals, we are conditioned in the same way to anticipate and avoid stimuli. We might have different lifestyles from...
  • Commented on Think right and think free
    With the rapid expansion of the internet within our lifespan so far, it's no wonder we fall prey to biases and false claims. I'm glad we learned to be skeptical in this course because it means we cannot readily accept...
  • Commented on PTSD
    Though it must be tough to talk about, I'm sure you have a deeper understanding of your grandfather as a result of our studies on PTSD. The concepts we have learned in psych definitely hit home harder when you have...
  • Commented on Bias in Today's World
    It's funny how "liberal bias" is overused by Fox News to describe anyone who has ideas of progress or governmental assent and equality. After this course I'll be more aware of close-minded people and their motivations because of their biases....
  • Commented on Personality
    I like your point about common misconceptions about personalities. I may not be very extroverted, but that doesn't mean I'm not open to new experiences. This supports the overriding theme of this semester: correlation does not prove causation....
  • Commented on Baby Development
    I completely agree; I've noticed things in life that didn't quite make sense to me until this course put a name to it. I've also worked with children, and it's so refreshing to finally understand their motivations and cognitive abilities....
  • Commented on Stress.
    I agree with burke545; we all think we're so stressed with papers and exams and juggling everything else college has to offer, but at this time in our lives we have surprisingly few responsibilities and are free to choose how...
  • Commented on Do you believe in love at first sight?
    I must admit, I feel a bit cynical agreeing with you, merely because I've always been a bit of a hopeless romantic type. But you have a good point when you question the phrase "love at first sight" because what...
  • Commented on Five years from now...
    Thank you, that's also my favorite part of psychology; the information is relevant to everyone because it's all about the human condition, and we can all relate to that....
  • Commented on Five years from now...
    I think that nature and nurture both have an effect on a child's cognitive development: parents who regularly engage in stimulating activities with their child are more likely to raise an inquisitive and knowledgeable child, and genetic predisposition to language...
  • Posted Blog 3 Repost: Tiger Mother vs. Permissive Parenting to PSY 1001 section 06-07 Spring 2012
    The three distinct parenting styles described by Diana Baumrind resonate within all of us--we're all aware of how restrictive or lenient our own parents were, but we have also witnessed friends' parenting styles and even strangers on the street or...
  • Posted Five years from now... to PSY 1001 section 06-07 Spring 2012
    The concept in Psychology 1001 that I feel will stick with me most in five years is Jean Piaget's stages of cognitive development. Whether I'm still working as a nanny for young children or have some of my own at...
  • Commented on The Streetlight Interference--Are you a SLIder?
    I'm not one to believe in the supernatural or be superstitious, but this happens to me all the time, and it's hard not to make arbitrary connections. For instance, on my way home from the midnight premier of Harry Potter...
  • Commented on When We Can't Hear
    I find this topic very important to note, especially as a teenager who frequently listens to an iPod. As our generation ages, who knows how prevalent early hearing difficulty or deafness will be. The phrase "If the music is too...
  • Commented on Because your mother said so.
    @chamb169 I tend to side with sources that have extensive scientific research attributed to them, so I trust assertions made by the Institute of Medicine at the Mayo Clinic and the LiveStrong website because they are respected institutions and are...
  • Posted Because your mother said so. to PSY 1001 section 06-07 Spring 2012
    Most of us have heard the old adage to "drink 8 glasses of water a day" by mothers, doctors, health teachers, etc.--but is it true? My mother has definitely chided me for not drinking enough water, but I never paid...
  • Commented on Chapter 1 and the Dangers of Pseudoscience
    I think people are so afraid of death that they try to soothe the pain of a passed loved one by turning to an easy answer even if they know it's not logically sound....
  • Commented on Chapter 4: Sensation and Perception
    A few days ago I stumbledupon a few ways to trick your brain into thinking you're sensing and perceiving things that aren't true or aren't even there--one was called the Ganzfeld effect. Although I've never tried it, it brings up...
  • Commented on Strange Psychotherapies and why they "work". (Chapter 16)
    I'm always so surprised to hear how powerful our brains are in creating belief systems, that we can convince ourselves that something worked just because we want to believe it. Your link also proves that these methods are clear pseudoscience...
  • Commented on Chapter #7: Memory
    Having a not-so-stellar memory myself, I have always wondered why I can sing all the lyrics to just about any song you can name but dates in history class never stick in my brain. I wonder how our reliance on...
  • Posted Chapter 1 and the Dangers of Pseudoscience to PSY 1001 section 06-07 Spring 2012
    Chapter one of our textbook focused mainly on the reasons why psychology is difficult to define, why psychologists are required to be skeptical, and explaining the dangers of pseudoscience in the practical use of everyday psychology. All three of these...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from adam0678

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page