holt0643

• Posted My Attachment to the Attachment Theory to PSY 1001 Section 02-03 Spring 2012
    One of the most interesting topics covered this semester in Psychology that I feel is extremely important to many people as they become adults and start families is the information surrounding the attachment theory - the belief that humans have...
  • Commented on Gordan Allports Five characterisitics: Peter Griffin
    Peter (and really all the main characters of Family Guy) are difficult to pinpoint exactly on the Big 5 because as the series progresses, their characters almost become caricatures of themselves. But you seem to do a good job defining...
  • Commented on A Cure for Discrimination?
    You raise an interesting point of view in your post; it seems that these discussions are discriminating against discriminators. Factors surrounding where these students picked up their discrimination are very important. I believe that no matter how much classes stress...
  • Commented on College Admission Tests: What For?
    You raise some interesting points, but keep in mind the ACT and SAT have been standardized tests for a very long time. Universities need a standardized way to evaluate incoming students to see if they can handle the rigor the...
  • Commented on Does Birth Order Matter?
    That's strange, most of my friends aren't the oldest sibling in their family even though I am... there must be something wrong with me. But I can understand the supposed personality traits of successive siblings from an environmental perspective. The...
  • Commented on "I'm sure that line 1 is the right answer, but everyone else is saying it's line 3... I'll go with 3"
    The study you cited really speaks volumes to what I've seen in class and have personally experienced. When the class is asked a question, I don't know how many times I've waited until someone says something that seems to follow...
  • Commented on "Anybody else have to go to the bathroom?"
    A significant example of the negative side effects of social isolation can be seen in solitary confinement in prisons. The reason why solitary confinement is such a terrible punishment is because we as humans need social stimulation; without it, we...
  • Posted The Dangers of the Bystander Effect to PSY 1001 Section 02-03 Spring 2012
    Of the concepts learned in the social psychology chapter of this book, one of the most potentially dangerous phenomena is the "bystander effect", in which a situation occurs where immediate intervention or attention needs to occur, but due various reasons,...
  • Commented on Bystander Effect-Hello? Somebody help me!!!
    It is rather surprising that most people won't do anything when confronted with a situation like an unconscious student if there are other people around them; the bystander effect is palpable. The book explains that one of the reasons why...
  • Commented on The Hunger Games
    I read the Hunger Games trilogy almost right before I saw the movie that was just released, and I was actually surprised how tame the movie was compared to the book in terms of violence. Certainly some violence was present...
  • Commented on Should Gay Marriage Be Legal?
    The "debates" around homosexuality are ridiculous. The belief that being gay is a choice simply doesn't make sense to me; why would someone choose to ostracize him/herself from what's considered normal society unless they have to to be truly happy...
  • Commented on Storm: A Risky Social Experiment?
    This does seem like a pretty risky social experiment. Though it does seem to tackle the roles of gender and gender identity that is quite prevalent in society today, Storm's well-being needs to be considered. In a world where gender...
  • Commented on Who said I'm not intelligent?
    The two arguments you present in this article (that being that people are stereotypical and standardized testing may not be an accurate way of measuring intelligence) can both be explained by the fact that in this non-ideal world where cause...
  • Commented on Harmful Ideals
    I believe a large reason why the men in Mauritania find larger, overweight women the most attractive is because it's a third world country. In a way, it seems that the environment may play a significant role in what we...
  • Commented on Charlie Bit my Finger- What makes an Online Video go viral?
    I believe emotional arousal could be one of the reasons why a viral video initially becomes popular, but at least personally I don't know how much I agree with Jonah Berger's comment that it's the expression of emotion that made...
  • Commented on Aggression
    Especially in America, it seems that violence and aggression is at the cornerstone of media related outlets, such as television and video games. I'd agree that aggression seems to be related to testosterone (or perhaps simply the magnitude of whatever...
  • Commented on Is Being Gay A Choice?
    I believe a major reason why there's a debate on whether homosexuality is a choice or if you're born that way is the lack of education on the subject, which the whopping 47% statistic reflects. With the "neutrality" position on...
  • Commented on White, Skinny, and Big Eyed
    The question of whether we have control over who we find attractive or if the media shapes attractiveness has been bugging me for a very long time. If you look at several hundred years ago, in Western European culture a...
  • Commented on False Memories (Shutter island)
    I have never actually seen the movie of Shutter Island, but I have read the book. It was so incredibly interesting and thrilling that I finished the book in two days. With a twist ending worthy of M. Night Shyamalan,...
  • Commented on Have Your Pep Rallies Ever Lacked?
    I agree that a way to overcome a mental set is to simply step away from the situation and let ideas flow naturally rather than force them, but at least personally this is much easier said than done. Though I've...
  • Commented on I'm a Bilingual... She's a Trilingual.... He's a Polyglot!
    I've always been envious of people who could speak multiple languages. It is very true that speaking two or more languages could help a person be much more intimate with a different culture, and perhaps lessen the xenophobia that a...
  • Posted How Reliable are Flashbulb Memories? to PSY 1001 Section 02-03 Spring 2012
    For most students who attend our Psychology class this semester, the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center that took place on September 11, 2001 - also referred to as "9-11" - was the most significant and harrowing national...
  • Commented on Exercise? How Much?
    What your blog statement fails to mention is the rigor of the daily amount of exercise a person needs to support a healthy lifestyle. Would a brisk walk to and from classes suffice, or would someone need to spend 30...
  • Commented on Hypnosis: Treatment or Entertainment?
    I'm someone who has seen several hypnotist shows, including a very excellent one performed on a cruise ship several years ago. In fact, I was given the opportunity to be hypnotized along with a few others in front of my...
  • Posted Is Venting Actually Effective? to PSY 1001 Section 02-03 Spring 2012
    Considering the various ways to cope with stress, many individuals feel that "letting it all out" - that is, expressing their problems in a vocal or physical way - is a very productive way to deal with stressful events....
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from holt0643