Kyle P.

• Posted Cheers! to Media Literacy Spring 2013
    Hello, all! My name is Kyle Prahl, and I'm a Junior in Communication Studies. Although, that title is a bit misleading -- the last 2.5 years of my life here at the U has been spent as a Biochemistry major,...
  • Commented on Dating the Guy sitting next to you in class?
    I can corroborate your story with a personal anecdote of mine. My girlfriend and I have been together for 3 years; we too met in high school, developed a relationship, and have never looked back. It's easy to assume that...
  • Commented on Intelligence > Media
    Is it possible that Jungian archetypes (a concept we also learned about in class) could fuel this dramatized version of intelligence? Hollywood already uses these to appeal to our shared cultural memory, so it stands to reason that by amplifying...
  • Commented on Who said I'm not intelligent?
    Good for you for taking the judgmental opinions of others and turning them into a force for positive change. Unfortunately, high school (for many kids) becomes a personality brewing pot of sub-cultures with no interest in bettering their understanding of...
  • Commented on The Hunger Games
    I agree that responsibility for a child's content-viewing ultimately lies with parents. Unfortunately, lackadaisical parents who don't hold an authoritative stance over their children give rise to many of the reported cases of media-fueled violence we've heard about in the...
  • Commented on The Bigger The Better
    I understand that it may be difficult for you to see why another culture may find these traits attractive, but it's important for all of us to do our best occupying a realm of "in-betweenness" and critically analyze the unfamiliar...
  • Commented on Bystander Effect-Hello? Somebody help me!!!
    I'm glad that you considered the possibility of rival hypothesis in your examination of the bystander effect. While it might be unreasonable to think that EVERYONE involved may have a phobia involved or a different urgent matter to attend to,...
  • Commented on There Might Be A Reason those TV Characters Seem so Familiar
    I had the great fortune of learning about Jungian archetypes in a seminar class this semester. We examined the application of these archetypes, fueled by the Anima and Animus, to Arthurian film romances, including the 1981 film Excalibur. Finding these...
  • Commented on You-Know-Who
    Wow. Great idea for a blog post. To be honest, I have to agree with *almost* all of your ratings on the OCEAN scale. However, I might personally give Tom Riddle a lower score on Openness. You're correct that his...
  • Commented on "I'm sure that line 1 is the right answer, but everyone else is saying it's line 3... I'll go with 3"
    It seems to me that we don't place enough weight in our free will and choices (though behaviorists would argue that neither exist). Most people, when placed in this study, would reason that there's no real harm in following the...
  • Commented on Am I the Only One?
    Unfortunately, the bystander effect is all too common in everyday life. It may primarily occur with simple examples like the one you mentioned in your post, but stopping to think about the fact that the cripping fear of public embarrassment...
  • Commented on The Placebo Effect
    The placebo effect may be a pitfall to tried-and-true experimental design, but I believe it can have positive effects for the purpose of investigating the underlying cause of psychological disorders. These causes may originate with us (self-fulfilling prophecies are big...
  • Commented on A Cure for Discrimination?
    One way of viewing the consideration of other opinions is as a realm of "in-betweenness" between our understanding and that of another. In this space of encounter, we can consider the opinions and viewpoints of others and learning more about...
  • Commented on Do You Know Who You Are?
    Excellent examination of a movie that takes too many liberties with amnesia for my taste. After learning more about the reality of amnesia in class, I'm less accepting of the movie's fiction. However, I still enjoy the acting and dramatic...
  • Commented on College Admission Tests: What For?
    Unfortunately, the reality of this situation means that colleges and universities HAVE to continue using this scale as long as their peers do. Anything less paints an image for the public of the University having lazy admissions requirements....
  • Commented on Mind the Jackelopes
    It's extremely important for us to stay mindful of the heuristics and biases that define our daily living. You touched on this very well in your post. Confirmation bias can be especially harmful to intellectual pursuits - what would have...
  • Commented on Psychology & Me
    By keeping heuristics in mind, we can definitely "catch" ourselves before saying things that fall prey to misconceptions and what we think are "common knowledge". This could help our interactions with people of other cultures and understandings....
  • Commented on Snow Globed World
    What I have learned (in both this course and one dedicated to Anthropology) is that, in some way, we all occupy different "realities" that are no more correct than anyone else's. In much the same way, your grandparent's globe view...
  • Commented on The Psychology of Morality
    Interesting point, but we should always remember that genetics may have an influence as well. The fact that a strange dichotomy exists for almost all psychological traits between genetic and environmental influence means we should carefully distance ourself from any...
  • Commented on What's Wrong With Red Ink?
    It's important to stay mindful of our role in an increasingly-connected world. A realm of in-betweenness, if you will, can help us occupy a space between the familiar and unfamiliar and bridge the gap between cultures....
  • Commented on Decoding the World Around Us
    The idea of God (or any perceived deity and religious belief) existing exclusively within our neurons could apply to any concept or thought. Color, sound, shape, texture, and emotions are all created only within our minds. It's funny to think...
  • Posted Mental Disorder in My Future to PSY 1001 Section 02-03 Spring 2012
    "You Can't Always Get What You Want" by The Rolling Stones perfectly describes why my personal favorite unit, Mental Disorders, didn't arrive until the very end of our PSY 1001 class. Nevertheless, I am hopeful that the myths and misconceptions...
  • Posted When Emotions Trump Biology to PSY 1001 Section 02-03 Spring 2012
    For a moment, please think back to everything you've ever learned in a biology course. The details may elude you, but if you're anything like me, there's one abstract idea that sticks out above the others. The theory of evolution...
  • Posted Bistable Images Around Us to PSY 1001 Section 02-03 Spring 2012
    Illusions of all kinds serve to demonstrate how a particular stimulus can trigger multiple perceptions after the stimulus has been transduced and processed in our brains. Examples include Rubin's Vase and the Necker cube. Each of these can be perceived...
  • Posted Piaget's Stages and Why You Should Care to PSY 1001 Section 02-03 Spring 2012
    While the idea of adolescent minds being fundamentally different from those of adults is not foreign to us, only in relatively recent history has the theory developed. In the early 1900's, a Swiss psychologist named Jean Piaget conducted research on...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from Kyle P.