bornd005

• Commented on What were they thinking?
    I also agree that there are other factors that influence the decisions a person makes. The first thought that came to mind was the fundamental attribution error, in which explain people's behaviors based on internal factors rather than their external...
  • Commented on Difference in Perception of Beauty
    I think it's important for people to understand that there are different types of beauty, both on the inside and outside. Imagine if all cultures had the same standard of beauty! We probably wouldn't see as much diversity and perhaps...
  • Commented on A Cure for Discrimination?
    I agree that people need to become more knowledgeable about other cultures in order to diminish discrimination. It's important that people know what discrimination is and understand that it is a problem in today's society. It seems that some discrimination...
  • Commented on Classical Conditioning
    I also agree that classical conditioning will be something I remember down the road. It's interesting how an object that was once neutral can cause fear/happiness after being paired with an unconditioned stimulus, and the effects it can have on...
  • Commented on "I'm sure that line 1 is the right answer, but everyone else is saying it's line 3... I'll go with 3"
    After learning about this study, I wonder what I would have done if I had been that participant. I don't know if I would conform, but I do know that I would become very frustrated after constantly giving an answer...
  • Commented on Suggestive memory technique...on your high school villain.
    I'm actually guilty for doing the same thing. I used to live by a girl who pretended to know every movie/song, so I made up a movie and asked her if she had seen it. And of course, she said...
  • Commented on Stress: A Part of our Everyday Lives
    I've never really considered meditating as a means of coping with stress. I have done yoga a few times in the past, but found it rather boring. Everyone around me seemed very into it and I just couldn't get into...
  • Commented on The Scientific Method
    I also think the methods to evaluating scientific claims will be very important in our everyday lives. From now on when I see an advertisement claiming that taking a certain pill will help you lose weight or doing "such and...
  • Commented on 'Cause you got, personality!
    I would also agree with you. I'm introverted when I first meet people, but become more extroverted once I get to know them. I don't like coming off as really talkative when I first meet people, and I find myself...
  • Posted Twin Study to PSY 1001 Section 02-03 Spring 2012
    Looking back at what I have learned over the semester, one thing that comes to mind is the twin study that was conducted here at the University of Minnesota. In the study, 130 identical and fraternal twins were reunited after...
  • Commented on Bystander Effect-Hello? Somebody help me!!!
    It's strange to think that most people do not step up to help someone even in the most harmful situations, such as murder or rape, as the book mentioned. At the same time, it does make some sense. Perhaps in...
  • Commented on Real Life Good Will Hunting? The Chris Langan Story
    I also think it's interesting that Langan didn't choose to do something that allowed to him to use his abilities to their full potential. Perhaps his high IQ allows him to look past the expectations of society, so he's doing...
  • Commented on Dating the Guy sitting next to you in class?
    The concept of proximity makes sense when you consider relationships. When I took sociology in high school, we talked about relationships and how people who live close to each other and/or spend much of their day together are more likely...
  • Posted Nourishment or Touch? to PSY 1001 Section 02-03 Spring 2012
    Infants begin to form attachments to their parents very early on in life. Are these attachments simply made with those who provide nourishment for the infant, or are there other important factors to consider? Harry Harlow helped answer this question...
  • Commented on Bilingualism- Advantageous or no?
    I also think that there are more advantages to being bilingual. I think it's really important for people to become familiar with other cultures, especially in today's society where many jobs involve communicating with people who speak another language. I...
  • Commented on Nomophobia.... a real scare?
    I agree that society plays a large role in certain phobias, especially with this nomophobia. I had never heard of it before this but I find it very believable. Society is very dependent on technology, and I agree with the...
  • Commented on Autism and Vaccines: Seek and Ye Shall Find
    Although I haven't heard of the claim that autism can be caused by vaccinations, it shows how we can't be so quick to believe what we hear. It seems that many people want to believe certain claims, especially when it...
  • Commented on The Psychology of Social-network Sites
    I agree that sharing opinions on a social networking site can be either helpful or harmful, depending on the situation. I find that some things people post may be offensive to some, but actually make me think about certain issues....
  • Commented on Dreams: A figment of the imagination or a visual pathway into the future?
    Although I do not think dreams allow us to predict events that will happen in our lives, I definitely would not consider them meaningless like some psychologists. I haven't had many dreams that have made me think I have some...
  • Posted to PSY 1001 Section 02-03 Spring 2012
    It can be amusing and perhaps, at times, frustrating how our mind plays tricks on us and causes us to perceive something that isn't exactly reality. An illusion that I find quite fascinating is the moon illusion. The moon illusion...
  • Commented on Decisions or Not?
    I'd have to agree with you when you say our actions are due to both free will and factors outside of our control. I find it hard to believe that outside influences that we are not consciously aware of play...
  • Posted Pay Attention! to PSY 1001 Section 02-03 Spring 2012
    Memory is a fascinating subject to think about and discuss. While our memories can come in very handy in certain situations, there are many times when we are distracted or do not take the time to process information around us,...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from bornd005