gaffa017

• Commented on What were they thinking?
    I think Kohlberg's theory does a good job of describing why some people make the decisions that they do but not in all cases. Like you said there could be many other factors as to why people make the choices...
  • Commented on Rapid Weightloss: Reality or Hoax?
    I think it is so ridiculous that people actually think those drugs work. There is no way for you to lose weight simply by taking a pill and to think so is ludicrous. Humans are always looking for the easy...
  • Commented on Nourishment or Touch?
    This was a very interesting experiment because it makes total sense from a primitive view that nourishment would be the primary interest in infants. Harlow disputed this common thought in the experiment with the monkeys which was pretty clever. It...
  • Commented on Relationships, have you looked deeper into them??
    I completely agree with you on the concept of proximity. If you think about it from the other way it almost seems like common sense. You aren't going to be friends with someone that you never see or lives far...
  • Commented on What is Emotional Intelligence?
    Emotional intelligence is a really interesting concept for many reasons. I think emotionally intelligent people have an advantage over others because they are able to control and understand their emotions better. I have also heard that some people believe emotional...
  • Commented on Storm: A Risky Social Experiment?
    I find this experiment to be a little disturbing. To deprive a child of its identity just seems unethical to me. From the day we are born we are dressed according to our gender and the toys we play with...
  • Commented on Is Being Gay A Choice?
    I agree with you that being gay isn't necessarily a choice but I do think that the environment does play a role in it as well. If a child is displaying homosexual tendencies at a young age I think it...
  • Commented on Difference in Perception of Beauty
    This is a great post. There are so many different ways to interpret beauty and everyone is attracted to different traits that people have whether they are physical or not. As you said different cultures hold different values on what...
  • Commented on The Bigger The Better
    This is a great example of how cultures differ on what seems to be everyday things. It is really strange that they would do this given all we know about health issues that come along with additional weight. However, who...
  • Commented on Am I the Only One?
    I think this is something that everyone has gone through at some point in their life. People conform to so many different things just so they aren't the odd one out. Another example of this is when people stand up...
  • Commented on College Admission Tests: What For?
    I completely agree with you. I think these tests are a waste of time and don't accurately measure intelligence or success rates. I know many people who got better grades but lower scores on the ACT than some kids who...
  • Commented on Did you have to learn who you are?
    This is a very interesting subject because we take for granted that we know who we are and we think that it's ridiculous to not know who you are. I think it is one of the factors that separates our...
  • Commented on Nomophobia.... a real scare?
    I think people are more afraid of missing out on the communication with other people than they are afraid of physically losing the phone. People connect with others via cell phones so much now a days that I think people...
  • Commented on Does Midterm Stress Have You Forgetting the Simple Things? You're Probably Not Alone
    I think this a good post for college readers. We all experience an unusual amount of stress at various times throughout our college experience and it is important to know how it affects your body. Some people put themselves under...
  • Commented on Mariah Carey is my Biological Mother!
    This was a great post. I especially like how you were able to use a real life experience to relate to a topic that we were learning about. I think you are absolutely correct about our brain wanting to create...
  • Commented on The Devastating Effects of Alzheimer's Disease
    AD is probably the thing that scares me the most out of all of the psychological disorders. Not being able to recognize your own family members and forgetting where you are sounds unbearable. I think the scariest thing is that...
  • Commented on Where Does Personality Derive From?
    I completely agree with you on the nature vs nurture argument. I believe that noth nature and nurture play pivitol roles in shaping personality. Genes provide us with a base of personality traits for which we build upon as we...
  • Commented on Does Birth Order Matter?
    There are so many factors in determining peoples' personalities that simply looking into birth order cannot tell the whole story. There may be a small correlation but I don't believe there is enough evidence to say that birth order causes...
  • Posted Memorizing Memory to PSY 1001 Section 02-03 Spring 2012
    Ironically enough the topic that I think I will remember the most is memory. I think the process of how the brain stores information is really interesting. I never really acknowledged the difference between short and long term memory; I...
  • Posted Is sugar a drug? to PSY 1001 Section 02-03 Spring 2012
    There was a story on 60 minutes tonight discussing how sugar is having a negative impact on our society. The story started out talking about the health issues that come along with too much sugar consumption. These included heart disease...
  • Commented on Subtle Observations
    I believe that a positive gesture from somebody after you do something will always give you confidence to do that something again. It makes sense to me that people who received positive gestures from their peers about their answers were...
  • Posted Split brained people to PSY 1001 Section 02-03 Spring 2012
    I thought the lecture that professor Peterson gave on split brained people was very interesting. Separating the two hemispheres by severing the corpus callosum is a treatment often used as a last resort to help people that suffer from severe...
  • Commented on Can Our Religious Faith Be Found in a Gene?
    Although this is a very interesting subject I don't see how something like spirituality could be genetic. Just because you can engage or disengage different parts of your brain doesn't mean that there is a gene that is doing that...
  • Posted ECT: Electroconvulsive Therapy to PSY 1001 Section 02-03 Spring 2012
    There are many different types of therapy that are used to treat people with psychological disorders such as depression. An extreme treatment that is usually only used when nothing else has worked is called electroconvulsive therapy. This therapy consists of...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from gaffa017