style014

• Posted Nick Satinover to ArtS5400: BFA Seminar 2013
    It is great to hear artist talks of faculty artists of the University. I had the pleasure of hearing Nick Satinover speak about his work in printmaking. I have taken an intermediate print class with Nick, and although I am...
  • Posted Labors of Love to ArtS5400: BFA Seminar 2013
    I am fascinated by the arguments surrounding craft in contemporary art discussion. The more I become invested in the medium of printmaking, the more relevant this argument becomes. Like other process-heavy mediums, talk of craft is prominent in print worlds....
  • Posted 9 Artists to ArtS5400: BFA Seminar 2013
    I was most drawn to the films in the 9 Artists exhibition, and I would like to return to the Walker to spend more time with them, specifically those of Steyerl and Bartana. These films portrayed to me elements of...
  • Posted Relevance of Printmaking, Response to Emmelhainz to ArtS5400: BFA Seminar 2013
    I am interested in Irmgard Emmelhainz's observation of the elements of the contemporary art world and how art is "fused with political sensibilities that exploit art's diplomatic potential, as these political sensibilities consider culture to be a form of social...
  • Commented on Advanced Printmaking Syllabus and Schedule
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQDzlSRpXag This is a link to a letterpress demonstration video from MCAD. The Vandercook segment starts around 15:13. They show a great method of registering the polymer plate with a sheet of mylar!...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQDzlSRpXag This is a link to a letterpress demonstration video from MCAD. The Vandercook segment begins around 15:13. They have a great tip on how to register the polymer plate with a sheet of mylar!...
  • Posted Experimental Engagement to ArtS5400: BFA Seminar 2013
    It seems that I am not alone in finding myself skeptical in my thoughts surrounding many "socially engaged works" as mentioned by Kester. Human interaction and involvement in any arrangement is spontaneous and unpredictable. This element of uncertainty seems...
  • Posted Visiting Artist: Jon Swindler to ArtS5400: BFA Seminar 2013
    The printmaking department here at the University has welcomed visiting artist Jon Swindler, professor of printmaking at the University of Georgia. On October 2nd, Swindler presented his work and spoke of his ongoing collaborative project with Nick Satinover. The two...
  • Posted Artist Report: Kevin Haas to ArtS5400: BFA Seminar 2013
    I was fortunate to experience visiting artist Kevin Haas speak to students about his practices in printmaking. Haas is a professor of printmaking at Washington State University. Printmaking enables Haas to illustrate his reactions to the over development and industrialization...
  • Posted Applying Piper's Ideas to My Practice to ArtS5400: BFA Seminar 2013
    I found Adrian Piper's exploration of economic advantages in relation to the pursuit of an artistic career quite relevant to my thoughts and confusion surrounding my own involvement in the art world. I find myself questioning my choices to...
  • Commented on Anonymity in Relational Work?
    Whoops I just realized I am a week off in our readings.....
  • Posted Anonymity in Relational Work? to ArtS5400: BFA Seminar 2013
    I am interested in the conflicts surrounding relational art and the association that the artist/curator has with the outcome of these artistic events. It has been criticized that in working in this realm, as noted by Hal Foster, "the director-curator...
  • Posted Recognizing Influence to ArtS5400: BFA Seminar 2013
    I was interested in "Tradition and the Individual Talent" and admire the poetic manner in which Elliot speaks of worth in art. I am interested in the relevance of influence and its importance to self-aware artists. "No poet, no artist...
  • Posted Crafty to ArtS5400: BFA Seminar 2013
    I am interested in the gradual decline of artists' guilds in Weintraub's "In the Making" and the distinction of craft in the contemporary art world. When studying the history of art, I often compare the world of contemporary art...
  • Commented on Mind the Jackelopes
    Hilarious.. I spelled "Jackalope" wrong. Ironic....
  • Posted Mind the Jackelopes to PSY 1001 Section 02-03 Spring 2012
    My friend thought the jackelope was a real creature. It isn't that absurd, we all fall prey to loopholes in our thinking. As this semester has progressed and my understanding of psychology has grown, I have also gained an understanding...
  • Commented on College Admission Tests: What For?
    I was really interested in the graph that displayed the insignificance of IQ tests after a certain score. I have observed in many points in my life that the intelligence determined by something such as an IQ test has very...
  • Commented on How to Detect a Lie
    It is interesting to me how humans often trust machines more than natural observations.. I wonder how the secret service agents compare to the polygraph test!...
  • Commented on Doctor I need two CCs of touching!
    Very interesting. Perhaps the comfortable mother was preferred because this warmth and comfort signifies that the thing is alive, and therefor would provide the infant with further nourishment down the road, not just immediate food on a metal grate....
  • Commented on Is sugar a drug?
    Sugar is nearly a drug, and I think it is interesting how labeling at such would create such a different public attitude of sugar. I recently read an article of a young woman in Australia who died in her thirties...
  • Commented on Can you help me solve this problem?
    It is interesting to relate this to the theory that there are many ways to approach problem solving. A number of people would probably more efficiently solve this problem without writing about it.. perhaps these people are more "mathematical" thinkers....
  • Commented on Relationships, have you looked deeper into them??
    Proximity is indeed important, not only in the initial attraction to another person, but also in maintaining a connection with that person. When I moved from my hometown in early high-school, I was surprised of how quickly I developed a...
  • Commented on peek a boo
    I wish I could still be entertained by this game... Yet I am happy that I have acquired the understanding of object permanence! Imagine a world where no one could achieve this. We would be very confused and easily entertained...
  • Commented on Charlie Bit my Finger- What makes an Online Video go viral?
    I think that most of the time, viral videos are simple to comprehend and can be enjoyed by the general population. Most people are probably more likely to select a video on youtube that has many views, further increasing its...
  • Commented on Who said I'm not intelligent?
    It was interesting to me how the text book described intelligence as our brain's efficiency in processing information. I believe that some people are more "efficient", and therefor store more knowledge or can problem solve in more complex ways than...
  • Commented on The Bigger The Better
    I also wrote earlier about the norms of the Mauritanian culture regarding women. I thought a lot about how the environment differs from the US. If food is a scarce resource in Mauritania, it makes sense why men are attracted...
  • Commented on "Anybody else have to go to the bathroom?"
    It is interesting to me to see how people's ideas of themselves differ so greatly from the reality. I was entertained by the self-proclaimed "nonconformist" in the video we watched in discussion. He conformed more intensely than any other participants...
  • Commented on You-Know-Who
    I really think it is interesting how fictional characters can be developed so deeply! As we learned in lecture, cartoon characters are predictable and hilarious because of their exaggerated personality traits. Very cool!...
  • Commented on The Dangers of the Bystander Effect
    I think much of this has to do simply with people not wanting to get involved with an avoidable situation. In the case of Kitty, I am sure most onlookers were too afraid to physically put themselves in the situation...
  • Posted Harmful Ideals to PSY 1001 Section 02-03 Spring 2012
    It is interesting to compare standards of beauty in different cultures. I discovered an article from BBC news that described the culture of the African country Mauritania. Traditionally, women that are considered attractive are significantly obese. From a young...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from style014