Penny Nichol

• Posted No More Entries, Please to Psy 1001 section 22 Spring 2012
    A few of you have managed to sneak in entries after I finished grading... After this entry posts, I am declaring the blog closed. This mean that if you post any late entries or comments after this time, they will...
  • Commented on Things I Will Never Forget
    Congratulations! Hope you remember enough of your psychology knowledge to test out some of the cool things you can do with infants/young children -- reflexes to test, object permanence, conservation, etc. It is extremely fascinating to watch a child develop....
  • Commented on "Do I have a Disorder?"
    Your entry read well and is entertaining. Good summary and focus!...
  • Commented on Biological Psychology
    Very nice pictures! This is a very straight-forward informative summary of the nervous systems....
  • Commented on Right or Left?
    What is the difference between "fine tune" language skills and language skills? Isn't the left brain usually the logically side and the right the creative? If so, shouldn't you be surprised by your results?...
  • Commented on Who Am I?
    Good picture! Establishing an identity is a key issue in adolescence, but it seems to me that the "crisis" extends beyond those years for most people....
  • Commented on Deprivation of Langauge
    Great opening! Very interesting topics to write about regarding language. It's wonderful that you included a bit on the research that follow-up the Genie case....
  • Commented on How Reliable Are Our Memories?
    I like the picture! Hyperthymestic syndrome is very interested -- would have been nice to hear more about it!...
  • Commented on How do we talking?
    Good visuals! Also, good summary of the components of language -- I often get confused about what is what and you explained them nicely!...
  • Commented on Who Are You?
    You briefly hit on one of the key questions of psychological testing -- is a method valid (aka measuring what it is supposed to be measuring). Good questions at the end of the entry!...
  • Commented on Really, is it that easy to stroll down memory lane?
    Memory is a very fascinating topic! I would have liked to have seen or heard about more examples of the "Seven Sins of Memory" because I'm having a hard time recalling the details of what they are ;-)...
  • Commented on Antidepressant - The fake happiness
    As I understand it, antidepressants don't "make you happy" but decrease the symptoms of depression and set your right biochemically. The biochemistry of depression is very interesting!...
  • Commented on Will OCD contribute to your success as a doctor?
    Good use of personal example to connect with a topic! Very straight-forward writing style....
  • Commented on From Numbers to Behavior
    Good summary of what some might view as a "boring" chapter of the book (although that is not my personal view). Quantifying behavior is difficult and tricky!...
  • Commented on Who Wants To Ride The Bandwagon?
    Perhaps Lions fans were simply more noticeable when the team started doing well and didn't openly cheer before because they were ashamed of the team? Sorry, but I take that one a bit personally because I've been a Lions fan...
  • Commented on Chapter 4: Sensation and Perception
    Now that you've more thoroughly read Ch. 4, what are your thoughts about ESP? That would make a interesting blog entry!...
  • Commented on Smile and the World will Smile Back!
    Good connections to life (critical thinking)! Very cute commercial -- made me smile :-)...
  • Commented on Altoids?
    Good summary of the events behind Pavlov's study and "The Office" prank -- nice linking of the two. At the end of class, I'd be interested to hear your answer to the question, "Does nature even matter?"...
  • Commented on Does Science Prevent Bias?
    You make a very good point about the book. It does glorify science as the only way of knowing that is valid....
  • Commented on Batting Rituals
    Good example! I would like to hear more about your personal example -- why did you have that particular ritual before games? Did it seem to help in some way? What, if anything, could make a player change his/her ritual?...
  • Commented on What Scares You?
    Good title and you have a writing style that reads easily. What distinguishes a fear from a phobia? How does a fear of spiders differ from social phobia?...
  • Commented on Which Harry Potter Character Are You?
    Good opening -- liked that you included links, a photo, and video. You posed some good questions. Some personality tests are more valid than others; often it depends on what you define as personality. The video seems to be measuring...
  • Commented on Display Rules
    Good photo and title in combination. Interesting topic!...
  • Commented on Hello Clarice...
    You pose some good questions in your post. Your example is extreme, but shows good application of critical thinking!...
  • Commented on Baby 'Little Albert' Experiment - How Unethical!
    Little Albert is an interesting example of conditioning. A code of ethics for psychologists was not around at the time of the experiment and this example is one reason why there is a code! The ethical filter for research (IRB,...
  • Commented on Sleeping Disorders - Not to Take Lightly
    Good personal example! Sleepwalking and night terrors are much more common in young children than any other age group, so you probably grew out of sleepwalking....
  • Commented on Same meaning-Different words
    I love the picture! (I'm a cat person :-) Would have been nice to hear more about your experiences with different languages. How did learning other languages change your thought process (if it did)?...
  • Commented on Social Comparison
    Good opening that all of us can relate to. You provided some good examples!...
  • Commented on Lucid Dreaming
    Do dreams affect our waking life? Lucid dreaming is a very interesting topic. Good closing lines!...
  • Commented on Teaching a dog tricks
    Video shows a good example of using shaping/operant conditioning to train a dog. The cute dog video still is an eye-catching way to draw people to your entry!...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from Penny Nichol