brand790

• Commented on Mirror Images!
    Oh and just one more thing this blog makes me wonder... what happens when you take a picture of yourself in the mirror?:)...
  • Commented on Mirror Images!
    I really enjoyed this post! I hadn't noticed that people notice stuff like this until we learned about this effect in class. Just like you are saying, I also plan on enlightening people on the probable cause of why we...
  • Commented on Just Be Yourself , Don't Fall into the Traps of Conformity
    This was a part of this class that also stuck out to me!! You explained it really well. I also could not believe how just the social pressures to conform caused people to change their answers. They said if one...
  • Posted Yerkes-Dodson Law: Being Ready for the Big Game to Psy 1001 section 22 Spring 2012
    As an athlete, I found I could really relate to the information presented by the Yerkes-Dodson Law. The basics of this law are shown in the figure below that plots performance versus arousal level. The inverted "U" shape of the...
  • Commented on In Five Years I Will Remember...
    Yes I completely agree with you! I was glad that our textbook emphasized these principles. I feel like it made me better at identifying these scientific shortcomings in instances not perfectly laid out in our psychology textbook. Definitely a good...
  • Commented on It's All Around
    Great choice of things to take with you! As is the case with classical conditioning, I feel like a lot of our learning in psychology class was just explaining the science behind things we experience every day!...
  • Commented on Long Lasting Sleep
    I also thought the sleep section of our book was very enlightening! I definitely do not get the 9 hours of sleep that our book recommends for college students. I would be interested in knowing more about the side effects...
  • Commented on
    I really liked this blog! I had not thought about the psychological basis behind spanking kids. As a kid, probably not as a teenager, my Dad would spank me. Looking at the three important things that you listed, I think...
  • Commented on Is Your Personality Affected By Your Birth Order?
    Very insightful! When reading this I thought of how my family fits in this template of birth order personalities. I would say we go against this model, as my older brother was the most risk-taking, and my younger and I...
  • Posted Air Diet or Anorexia? to Psy 1001 section 22 Spring 2012
    It's official... you can literally find a way to make anything sound better than it really is. While looking into possible diets to get ready for summer days at the lake, a website actually tried to persuade me to...
  • Commented on Setting the Rules on Parenting
    Good blog! You did a good job covering the idea that there are plenty of exceptions to this simplified figure. I feel like half the challenge of being a parent is deciding what kind of parenting would be best for...
  • Commented on Detecting Lies
    There seems to be way to much doubt behind the validity of lie detector tests for the results of them to ever contribute significantly to a defendant's sentence. I would like to know more about the replicability of lie detector...
  • Commented on Kamikaze Pigeons!
    I vaguely remember hearing about this a while back, but it was great to finally get more details about it! When reading this I immediately get a picture of a pigeon getting distracted by bread crumbs and leading the bomb...
  • Commented on So who is this Father Figure?
    I really enjoyed reading this post. I was really surprised by the fact that young girls and boys alike both prefer to play with their fathers. I must have been one of the exceptions to this statistic because I always...
  • Commented on A Tip $$ for Learning a Second Language
    This blog did a great job pointing out the challenges of learning a second language, but I also appreciated the helpful tips that were offered. My first language is English, but I have tried to learn Spanish over the past...
  • Commented on But I Swear She Said "Rough."
    You brought up a lot of interesting questions in this entry. It does seem like our society bases pretty much everything we know on what we think we remember. One area that confuses me is the sometimes fine line between...
  • Commented on Forgetful Lucy
    I liked the connection you made to the case of Henry Molaison. It made me wonder if the writers of 50 first days named Adam Sandler's character Henry, as a head-nod to H-M. This movie reminds me a little bit...
  • Posted Difficult Decision? I Think Not... to Psy 1001 section 22 Spring 2012
    Imagine you just paged through a popular magazine and saw both of these toothpaste advertisements. Shortly after, you find yourself using the last squirt of your old toothpaste, which means it is time to head to the grocery store...
  • Commented on Could Our Minds be Our Greatest Defenders?
    I liked the contrast between the peaceful picture at the top of the blog and the scary one at the bottom. Definitely caught my attention. When I dream, I feel like I only remember having bad dreams. Hopefully, this means...
  • Commented on Smelling the Beans in Brazil
    I think the buzz thing sounds like a lot of potential for fun. You did a good job explaining how it works. I would worry that hearing the high pitched buzz would be degrading to hearing. For example, I read...
  • Commented on You Could Walk On This Water!
    I really liked how you talked about multiple ways our perception works, like with size constancy and shadow. In our book, the concepts seem more separated out, but it is enlightening to see how the different aspects incorporate into one...
  • Commented on Figure-Ground Perception: An Illustration of the World
    I really like the connection made with how perception works in ideas and opinions. It might not be exactly the same mechanism, but the idea of seeing (not literally necessarily) different is definitely consistent in both. Going with the comment...
  • Commented on Are YOU an Olympic Athlete?
    This is an interesting application of the nature v. nurture debate. I think it is probably likely that the dedication, hard work, and heart components of being a great athlete are from the environment. However, I think there could potentially...
  • Commented on Our We Eating Our Way to Cancer?
    This is a huge life debate for me. I am such a cheap/frugal person, so basically everything I eat is processed. Sad thing is, I knew it could lead to health issues even before I read this blog entry and...
  • Commented on Alcoholic: Born or Raised an Addict?
    With a picture that funny.. of course I had to read this. I definitely agree with most people on here that there is a combination of nature/nurture factors. Even though environment is a big piece, I think it's a good...
  • Commented on To Those Misguided Vegetarians:
    Very thorough. I remember last year on campus I was handed a pamphlet on animal abuse in meat plants. They mentioned that since the killings are done in mass, nobody notices if the animal is not killed instantly, and it...
    Very thorough. I remember last year on campus I was handed a pamphlet on animal abuse in meat plants. They mentioned that the killings are done mass, nobody notices if the animal is not killed instantly, and it is left...
  • Commented on Synesthesia
    This must have been the condition that Penny mentioned in our last discussion! I just looked up a video on youtube to learn a little more about it. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KApieSGlyBk) There was an example where a man would hear words and...
  • Posted What Did Your ACT Say About You? to Psy 1001 section 22 Spring 2012
    Something that caught my eye while looking through Chapter 9, was a section that analyzed the efficiency of college admissions tests in predicting the grades of future college students. This segment seemed to argue that if you take the...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from brand790