malyx017

• Commented on Are You Smarter Than Your Sibling?
    My brother is significantly older than I am, so the competition between us isn't as direct, since he finished all of his schooling, including college, by the time I was eight years old. Because of this, I've always been comparing...
  • Commented on Minnesota Nice or Minnesota Ice?
    This is a fascinating topic. I wonder what about geography makes people behave in a certain way. Of course, if a person is born into a "Minnesota Nice" area, he will grow up to be Minnesota nice. But when did...
  • Commented on When do you think you first became aware of yourself?
    Great post, with a very interesting video! However, I don't think the first memory of yourself is when you first become aware of yourself. As you said, babies as young as 22 months can recognize themselves in the mirror. Memories...
  • Commented on Luck of the Draw?
    Interesting post. I have only one sibling, my brother, who is older. In our family, he is the peace maker and the diplomat, while I believe that I am more of a leader. I don't think either one of us...
  • Commented on Impossible Structures and their Vanishing Points
    I always am drawn much more to these forms of art rather than to traditional paintings. These images really require the viewer to think about what is going on in the scene. The "aha" moment always comes when you realize...
  • Commented on Will OCD contribute to your success as a doctor?
    When I used to work in a grocery store, an elderly woman would come in that clearly had some mental disorder. She refused to let anyone touch her food and demanded to bag her own groceries. I wonder if what...
  • Commented on Who Are You?
    I always see this type of personality assessment in crime shows but I never knew if it actually worked. Sometimes when I'm bored, I switch up my handwriting style in class and it can look completely different than what it...
  • Commented on Calculating your Happiness with a Formula
    This is a very interesting topic. Throughout my life, I've noticed that some people are naturally happier than others all the time. Now I know that this is also due biology and living conditions. When I was doing volunteer work...
  • Commented on Cetacea Skills
    When I was younger I stared in amazement during shows in seaworld with dolphins and shamu. Clearly, these animals are extremely intelligent. As a kid, I wondered how their trainers taught them how to perform such tricks. Thanks to your...
  • Commented on Wait, hasn't this already happened?
    I feel like deja vu happened all the time to me when I was younger, almost on a weekly basis. However, I don't agree with the idea that it's because of memories in our past life. Nevertheless, this is a...
  • Posted Placebos in the Future to Psy 1001 section 22 Spring 2012
    An interesting thing I'll remember five years from now is what the placebo effect is. All of my life, I've been given medicines that will "drain out my sinuses", or "cure this headache". After reading chapter 2, I have realized...
  • Posted Setting the Rules on Parenting to Psy 1001 section 22 Spring 2012
    Growing up, my parents were pretty permissive. I've never been grounded, and I was rarely restricted from any activities. In my opinion (and hopefully everyone else's), I've grown up to be a mature, responsible, and well behaved adult. But...
  • Commented on Video Game Causes Boy to Shoot his Parents
    This is a very tragic incident that reinforces my opinion that violent video games cause violent behavior in children. In the video we watched during discussion, the psychologist said that kids' minds "are like sponges", meaning that they observe everything...
  • Commented on Problems in Business
    I am majoring in business so this article really applies to me. I am not sure if I'm going to take a managerial position, but this is something that I will try to be aware of in the future. Not...
  • Commented on How does divorce affect children?
    I agree with the comment above- I find it hard to apply scientific statistics about divorce to real life situations. How can they measure the impact that a divorce has on a small child? And I also wonder if the...
  • Commented on So who is this Father Figure?
    Now that I think about it, this is very true! I think that being a parent means two slightly different things for mothers and fathers. Mothers clearly have a much stronger maternal instinct towards their children and take care of...
  • Posted Does Your Brain Know You Better than You Know Yourself? to Psy 1001 section 22 Spring 2012
    In BBC's video, The Secret You, Oxford mathematician Marcus de Sautoy went through an fMRI scan while being asked questions that would either make him press the button in his left hand or in his right hand. Shockingly, his brain...
  • Commented on Luckily, Mom Isn't Always Right...
    As the others stated above, I enjoyed the personal touch you added at the beginning. My mother has also pestered me about eating late at night. There are nights, especially in college, where you are so hungry that you can't...
  • Commented on If Only I Could Remember How to Remember
    I found the fact that when memories are powerful enough the stick in your memory on their own very applicable to my life. Everybody has had embarrassing moments, and no matter how miniscule they are, they have a tendency to...
  • Commented on What Scares You?
    Just like you, I also have a fear of spiders, along with all other bugs and insects and creepy crawlers. It seems to me that people like us sometimes tend to exaggerate when it comes to describing our fears and...
  • Commented on What Can Drive a Mother to Give Up Her Daughter?
    This is a very interesting and sad story and I can sympathize with the family. However, if you claim that the sexual assault is the only cause of her aggression, then wouldn't that be nurture? Nature implies that the characteristic...
  • Commented on Man on the Moon
    This is a very interesting topic. I think that this is related to ESP, just like how people think that a psychic reading a crystal ball is accurate. I also sometimes look at the clouds and see different things like...
  • Posted Putting Mental Disorders in Order to Psy 1001 section 22 Spring 2012
    Society usually calls people who suffer from psychological disorders "crazy" because they sometimes behave and think in ways that are not normal or accepted. This statement is true. One of the five criterion listed in chapter 15 for defining...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from malyx017