hedst058

• Commented on If you can do it, I can do it
    The United States is known for having an individualistic culture. We are more worried about ourselves and less about other people than other cultures. I believe this is why we tend to compare ourselves to people especially those who appear...
  • Commented on Come on man, Everyones doing it!
    I think for one to be truly successful in their life endeavors they have to be willing to be a leader. This means not conforming to what everyone is telling them to do. I believe conformity has alot to do...
  • Commented on One of the oldest debates in psychology, which side are you on?
    I don't think the matter is of whether its nature or nurture the is completely responsible for our personal traits. Instead I beleive it is a combination of both. I think that the answer for how much each plays a...
  • Commented on Flynn effect fluctuation
    I think the three reasons 1,2,4 play a larger role on a person's IQ than their diet. There have been plenty of not very physically fit people who were very intelligent. Also people in general are better educated now than...
  • Commented on How to defend your anxiety
    I notice these defense mechanisms all the time. The one I personally use the most is rationalization, when ever I make a dumb decision I always try to find perfectly good reasons for why I made the decisions. These make...
  • Commented on Stamp Out Stigma- The U of M Offers FREE Services!
    This post is spot on. I think there is a negative stigma put on people with a mental disorder. Most I beleive are embarressed of their disease. In reality there is absoltely no reason for them to feel this way....
  • Commented on The Battle Against Ignorance
    Great post! Correlation vs. Causation was probably the topic most brought up in psychology. It apllies to just about every aspect of science. This topic I think is overlooked many times in everyday life. I think people just assume that...
  • Commented on Blood Type & Personality Traits
    I too beleive there to be no correlation between blood type and personality. This theory lacks replicability to as far as my knowledge no one has relpicated these findings. Also with how general these personality traits are it would be...
  • Commented on You Are Not Alone!
    I agree completely with this blog. I believe in order to be successful in life you have to be willing to take some chances. This means not always conforming to what everyone else is telling you. Sometimes you have to...
  • Commented on Let's be rational here...
    I also found these topics interesting. I found the fact that in order for a person aound our age to be at their full potential during the day the optimal amount of sleep is 8-10 hours. I usually only get...
  • Posted The "Correct" Way to Raise Children to Psychology 1001 S23, Sp2012
    Numerous sources today bombard new parents with information about the "correct" environment to raise their children. These sources prey on the anxieties of the parents to provide the best environment for their children. I have learned in psychology that it...
  • Commented on Hungry?
    This post is so true. Portion sizes have increased drastically over the last ten years. Just look at fast food restaurants, now there is the opportunity to King Size everything on the menu! It seems with food over the last...
  • Commented on Please keep your distance
    I totally agree with this post. I find it so hard to concentrate on what people are telling me when they have stepped into that personal space (1.5-4) feet. I believe part of being a good speaker or people person...
  • Commented on IQ Score Matter?
    I think this topic is very interesting. I think to answer the question you are asking you really need to know what kind of job we are talking about. I think IQ scores would have a positive relationship with work...
  • Commented on Killing Machines or Creative Geniuses?
    I beleive violent video games when used by age appropriate people are neither beneficial or detrimental. As long as the person can see the difference between virtual and reality then they will not cause any detrimental effects. I beleive any...
  • Commented on Do whatever the heck you want or Do exactly what I say or you're grounded?
    I believe a good parent is someone who will do anything to make their child into a productive and pleasant member of our society. Parents need to not worry about being their childrens friends and worry about teaching their children...
  • Commented on Baby Einstein: Dont let him teach your babies.
    I feel that some educational television can be beneficial. I think that where some people get in trouble is when they replace reading a book with educational television. Nothing can replace the brain stimulation a young child gets from reading...
  • Commented on The Culprit Behind Overeating
    I believe over eating has alot to do with convenience. If a person has three huge bags of chips sitting right next to them in their dorm room even if they are not hungry they will eventually fll victim to...
  • Commented on An essential molecule... A universial cure
    I could not agree with this entry more! I beleive one misconception that people have is sports drinks are good for them or are a healthy alternative to pop. The reality is that these drinks are loaded with sugar and...
  • Commented on Children and Technology; is it too much?
    The world we live in now is definetely a technology driven one. I do not believe that technology will cause a child to grow up different than the norm. i actually feel that not introducing a child to technology may...
  • Commented on 19 Kids and COUNTING?!
    I think the number of kids should depend on a few different variables, first the parents need to be able to financially support their children, second a parent needs to have enough time to give their children the attention they...
  • Posted Fat or Fit. Its Your Choice...Or Is It? to Psychology 1001 S23, Sp2012
    Why is the battle of the bulge so hard to win? One answer to this question maybe a person's set point. A set point is a person's range of body fat and muscle mass they tend to maintain. So when...
  • Commented on Liberals vs Conservatives: Who's Right?
    I find this post very interesting. Todays government has such a hard time making any headway because people vote according to their political party's views and not how they feel personally. I think to believe someone is strictly Republican and...
  • Commented on Holy crap, what the heck was that?!
    I stared at the picture for atleast 5 minutes and can only make out 5 horses. I think another piece of perception that makes this picture tricky is depth perception. With the horses in two dimension they do not stick...
  • Commented on Staring at the Stranger in the Mirror
    I agree not being able to recognize yourself in the mirror is a very eerie thought. I believe the disease that you are looking for is Prosopagnosia which is a disease where the person cannot recognize faces. When only given...
  • Commented on Perceive What I Mean?
    This blog really caught my eye. It is crazy how a random set of hands can cause us to see a face. Or a pattern of dots can cause us to see a hand. The brain really does work in...
  • Commented on Baby Geniuses?
    My first blog was on a similar topic as this. I to found it interesting that people could not recall memories until 18-24 months of age. Does this just mean that the first two years of our life our lost...
  • Commented on Did You Hear That?
    I find this topic interesting as well. This ring tone was very popular in my high school. I on the other hand never purchased this ring tone because I could not hear it. I was only 18 years old at...
  • Posted Where Does Consciousness Reside In Our Brian? to Psychology 1001 S23, Sp2012
    People become aware of themselves between the ages of 18-24 months, but what changes for this to happen? We don't just wake up one morning and all of the sudden know that we are ourselves. What part of the brain...
  • Posted Infantile Amnesia: When Was Your First Memory? to Psychology 1001 S23, Sp2012
    Chapter 7 covers Memory and how we construct and reconstruct our past. While skimming through the pages one thing that really caught my eye was Infantile Amnesia. This is the inability of adults to retrieve accurate memories before an early...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from hedst058

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page