venka056

• Posted DSM-5 Debate to Psychology 1001 S23, Sp2012
    I came across this news on the DSM-5 this morning and thought it would be of interest to all of us here since we just learned about it. It just made me happy to understand everything that was there. Hope...
  • Favorited Self-Control - Nature or Nurture? on Psychology 1001 S23, Sp2012
  • Commented on PUT THAT COOKIE DOWN!! NOW!!
    I think she was being conventionally moral. You did not have your crutches so she could have been under the assumption that it wasn't a major injury and since you were late, she just went with the rules; tardy->punishment. Under...
  • Commented on Enough is Enough
    I think the part of the brain responsible for boredom is responsible for this also. I did a Google search and found that boredom is associated with the prefrontal cortex. As the semester proceeds, with the nice weather out there...
  • Posted How to defend your anxiety to Psychology 1001 S23, Sp2012
    The Freudian defense mechanisms, which are unconscious maneuvers intended to minimize anxiety, are something that we engage in; more often than we realize. Don't you agree? I have seen Denial being exhibited by my aunt when my uncle passed away...
  • Commented on Not hungry... or...
    I think society plays a big role on our body type and the other two factors contribute to some extent. I am from India and back home no one really cared about make up or being super skinny. I have...
  • Commented on Hungry?
    One way to control or make good use of the hunger cravings is to eat healthy snacks like a fruit or some nuts. Of course, you should not go to Starbucks to buy a banana because chances are that you...
  • Commented on Liar Liar Pants on Fire!
    I haven't taken the lie detector test but I am a good liar if I plan it out right! I have used lies to fool my friends and once even made one of my friend cry. I stopped playing such...
  • Commented on Children and Technology; is it too much?
    I think today's technology harm today's children. I know a friend's daughter, who just turned 4 u, who uses HER iPad to play games rather playing outside in the beautiful weather. She knows to go to youtube and watch her...
  • Commented on Fat or Fit. Its Your Choice...Or Is It?
    I think nurture also plays a major role. I say it because in my family, my dad, mom and I watch our weight more than my brother. We always exercise more and follow strict diets to shed those few pounds...
  • Favorited Parlez-vous Bilingual? Reasons to learn a second language on Psychology 1001 S23, Sp2012
  • Commented on Parlez-vous Bilingual? Reasons to learn a second language
    I am from India so I have been bilingual ever since I started school. Our first language in school was English but my second language was my mother tongue and that is the language we speak at home and with...
  • Commented on Killing Machines or Creative Geniuses?
    I agree that gaming is good to some extent. Age plays a major role. The experiment in study here researched with middle school students. I feel it affects preschoolers and elementary school children in the violence aspect. When I was...
  • Posted Parenting Styles to Psychology 1001 S23, Sp2012
    I got interested on Diana Baumrind's research on parenting styles. Her classification was based on two important aspects: parental responsiveness, which refers to the degree the parent responds to the child's needs and parental demandingness, which is the extent to...
  • Commented on Reading minds... commercially
    Advertisers are very good manipulators. Even a simple "up to 50% off" ad for Kohl's or any other store gets us. No wonder JCP came up with a concept of having sales and discounts throughout the year. This Ascis ad...
  • Commented on The Alzheimer Epidemic
    Alzheimer's is a very sad disease. I am from India and in my country the ratio of getting Alzheimer's is much lesser (4.4 times lesser according to a UCLA-VA study) than in America. They associate the reason to our diet....
  • Commented on Who makes your decisions?
    I am an indecisive person too. I always have two or three choices at the end to choose from right from the attire I want to wear to picking a car/choosing college. My brother used to tease me saying that...
  • Commented on Breaking a Mirror Means What?
    I think many superstitious beliefs are spread by word of mouth from generation to generation. The true fact behind it will be something scientific. For example, an apple a day keeps the doctor away is said so that you eat...
  • Commented on Where Does Consciousness Reside In Our Brian?
    As Chapter 3 says, brain death is different from being in a persistent vegetative state. I would say that it is OK to pull the plug on people in vegetative state, if they can never do their activities on their...
  • Commented on Point Break
    I know someone who committed suicide because he couldn't be an achiever as his father wanted him to be. He grew up in a house with three siblings and clearly no one could find out before. It was really sad....
  • Commented on Staring at the Stranger in the Mirror
    I don't agree with the fact that being self-aware will give us a realization about our own death. Another blog post said that self awareness happens when we are 3/4yrs in age and that is why our visual memories date...
  • Commented on Perceive What I Mean?
    Gestalt principles are very interesting. When I read the topic, I was surprised how we used them everyday for all these years without being aware of it. Sometimes we realize what those "colorful lighted" advertisement boards have been doing all...
  • Commented on Did You Hear That?
    This is a very interesting topic. I know that between the age of 19 and 25 we gain lot of maturity but didn't know that people over 25 become less sensitive to certain frequencies of sound. Hate to feel old...
  • Commented on <em>Who Switched off Your Brain?</em>
    I agree with Leaf. I try to hold a positive attitude towards everything in my life and it has helped me a lot to stay calm and not go into depression. I have friends who follow the same thing and...
  • Commented on Genetics vs. Enviroment
    The article did indeed create mixed feelings for me too. I was also of the opinion that the way we were brought up influences our behavior to a greater extent than our genes. Makes me think that may be a...
  • Commented on Those crazy Brits
    Fatal accidents during weekends could also be due to driving under influence. People are likely to party with friends on Friday and Saturday nights and not everyone follows the rule of not to drive while being drunk. Also, during winter...
  • Posted Self-Control - Nature or Nurture? to Psychology 1001 S23, Sp2012
    While browsing the internet in search of a good topic for my blog entry, I came across this article. The article talks about the research done on 50 pairs of brothers and sisters of which one was a drug addict...
  • Posted "The aim of the wise is not to secure pleasure, but to avoid pain." - Aristotle to Psychology 1001 S23, Sp2012
    Chapter 4 in general talks about our sense organs and how our brain interprets the messages from them. I found the part about how our body senses touch and pain particularly interesting. Did you know that the information about touch...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from venka056

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page