soko0048

• Commented on Sense of Smell
    I thought about this topic last night. I was standing in the elevator when a girl came in with a pizza, immediately the smell filled my nose and my mind was consumed with how much I wanted to eat that...
  • Commented on Chapter 11: Emotions
    I think the Facial Feedback Hypothesis is very interesting. The fact that eliminating sad/angry/depressive facial expressions through the use of Botox can have positive effects on mental health is crazy! While lugging through my homework tonight I'll try and put...
  • Commented on Is the Dog Whisperer magic?
    Before taking this psychology course I never understood how Caesar Milan, or anybody for that matter, could train animals. My grandpa gave us his dog when he moved and my grandpa at his old age of course wasn't the best...
  • Commented on So Imprinting Isn't Completely Ridiculous?
    I think the concept of imprinting is fascinating. The picture that comes to mind is Dr. Loring swimming in the pond with duckling following behind. It's amazing that the first "motherly" figure they see is what they fixate their whole...
  • Commented on Hunger Games
    I loved this post!! I have many friends who are worried about their weight and have numerous times tried fad diets such as these, obviously with no success. As a health food fanatic I try to explain to them that...
  • Commented on Positive Attitude after A Big Deal
    I love how you used this clip of south park in your post! Shows like South Park, the Simpsons, and Family Guy can frequently be related back to psychology. This example shows how business groups can be tricky. Like...
  • Commented on Middle Child Syndrome
    Being the older child I can definitely see the birth order theory in action. Although in my family it's only me and my younger sister, it's clear to see the differences between us. I usually think through my actions more...
  • Commented on Emergency? What emergency?
    I've always heard horror stories of the bystander effect and it scary that a large group of people can completely ignore an emergency. So it's very comforting to hear that in your case this effect did not occur. Maybe it's...
  • Commented on What is Love? Baby don't hurt me.
    Since learning about this in class I've pondered this as well. I feel like it goes along the same controversial line as the notion that free-will is nonexistent. The fact that true love could only be a pop culture creation...
  • Commented on Stresssssss
    Seeing as i am all sleep-deprived, busy college students, stress is extremely well known. I too thought this chapter was interesting not only because it's so relatable but also because it gave tips on how to eliminate stress. I will...
  • Posted Advertising and Classical Conditioning to Psychology 1001 Sections 10-11 Spring 2012
    The world of advertisement has always intrigued me so the topic of Pavlovian conditioning was extremely interesting to me as well. Before this class I never knew why the Coke commercials with the attractive, swimsuit clad models, running around...
  • Commented on Why Are You Eating My BURGER?!?!?!
    What a humorous incidence of memory encoding! I've had this problem with my sister so many times. We're getting in trouble with our and one of us is sure that the other did the "crime" and we will have completely...
  • Commented on Do you know what is Alzheimer Disease?
    My grandma suffered for a very long time with Alzheimer's so this is a very important topic for me. I like to hear that treatments are beginning to develop; it is a very cruel disease and I would hate to...
  • Commented on Emotional Expressions
    I have a dog at home and I too can tell how he's feeling by his emotions. It's crazy! I thought your last comment about facial expressions while studying abroad was interesting. I've never been to a foreign country for...
  • Commented on The Effects of Too Much Freedom (Permissive Parenting)
    I thought this topic of parenting styles was extremely intriguing because it has been so prevalent through my years of schooling. I have friends whose parents followed the permissive style of parenting and most of them did very poorly in...
  • Commented on The Definition of Beauty
    The definition of beauty is no easy task, and I believe has no single answer. But I believe we can bring it all back to evolution. As you said, men are focused on physical appearance. This is because he wants...
  • Commented on Beauty and Body Piercings
    I too have wondered what the societal draw to body piercings is. Having numerous ear piercings, but nothing any more dramatic, I've always admired body piercings. But it's interesting to ponder why it is that we find them attractive. I...
  • Posted Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire to Psychology 1001 Sections 10-11 Spring 2012
    Think about your favorite criminal justice TV show, when the detective thinks the suspect is lying and wants to incriminate him, what does he do? Gives him a lie detector test! The lie detector test, also known as the...
  • Commented on It's a bird... it's a plane... it's a super-taster!
    I think the fact that humans senses can be escalated so such a degree (i.e. a "super-taster") is incredibly intriguing. I do agree that if the heightened sense of taste were beneficial for reproduction and survival, evolution would've made it...
  • Commented on Classical Conditioning, Believability and Abercrombie "Push-up Bra's" for kids
    I'm really glad you touched on this topic. When I was 13 and 14 Abercrombie was the brand that everyone was wearing. But the older I got the farther I distanced myself from that fad. I look back on it...
  • Commented on Our Brain is Like a ... Palace.
    While learning about this memory technique in class I was very intrigued. Many times I have leaned more toward the standard repetition method of memorization. I've had partial success with it but I hope this Method of Loci will prove...
  • Posted Eliciting Emotions Through Advertisement to Psychology 1001 Sections 10-11 Spring 2012
    Although, for many years, data has been available to the public concerning the negative health risks of smoking cigarettes, many Americans still smoke. The addictive quality of the nicotine in the cigarettes creates the physical attachment, the way that...
  • Commented on DREAMS: THE SECRET LIFE
    I'm so pleased that you decided to do your blog on dreams. I find them extremely mystifying while incredibly intriguing. It's funny that you mention your reoccurring dream because I too have had a continual reoccurring dream of my teeth...
  • Commented on R.I.P. - My lifelong belief in "The Hot Hand"
    This being the first psychology class I've taken, I too have had a hard time grasping the nonexistence of "phenomenons", like The Hot Hand, that I once thought to be true. I thought your post was great seeing as you...
  • Posted Chapter 13: Social Psychology to Psychology 1001 Sections 10-11 Spring 2012
    Social Psychology is the study of how people influence others' behaviors, beliefs, and attitudes. Chapter 13 covered the in's and out's on how social interaction affects us. Based on Mark Leary's Need-To-Know theory, humans have a biological based need...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from soko0048

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page