joh09495

• Posted Social Psychology in Groups (Diffusion of Responsibility & Social Loafing) to Psychology 1001 Sections 10-11 Spring 2012
    Two key concepts I learned in psychology this year are the diffusion of responsibility and social loafing. I believe they will prove to be the most helpful for me in the coming years as I am planning on entering the...
  • Commented on When all you know is a lie.
    Alzheimer's is an interesting topic. I recently read that there is an estimated 5.1 million Americans that are said to be affected by Alzheimer's. This is astonishing, especially because we have yet to find a cure for this irreversible disease....
  • Commented on Regression as Defense Mechanism
    That's very interesting that you thought of music and movies. Whenever thinking of regression I thought of the thumb sucking example and just merely thought of physical habits that we resort back to. I would agree that music is a...
  • Commented on First kid, the smartest one?
    I'd agree that firstborns and the babies of the family do at times exhibit these expected personality traits. However, I feel like the frequency which we perceive them to correlate is higher than it may actually be - perhaps the...
  • Commented on How is intelligence portrayed in the media?
    I agree with you that media's portrayal of women has become more significant over time with them taking on new roles. However, I don't think there will be a new shift. I believe this trend will continue until women are...
  • Commented on Throw our IQ/Standardized Testing
    I agree with you to a certain extent. However, I think that IQ tests and the ACT/SAT are still important in the fact that they put people in general categories which allow universities to measure that people are in fact...
  • Commented on Hypocrite
    Your post has lots of truth to it. Often times we are constantly judging and exposing the faults of others and rarely take the time to look and evaluate ourselves. I also agree with the point you made about how...
  • Commented on Hunger Games
    I also agree with you. Diets now days are mostly unhealthy and are pointing people to lose weight in the wrong ways. Most times they do not even include required exercise. Furthermore, it is not healthy to lose a lot...
  • Commented on Parenting Styles
    This is definitely a interesting topic and intriguing to think that parenting styles may not matter at all. However, I do believe that it does play some role whether it is big or small and that in each case of...
  • Posted Contact Comfort to Psychology 1001 Sections 10-11 Spring 2012
    Harry Harlow, an American psychologist, was well known for his maternal-separation and social isolation experiments on rhesus monkeys. The experiments showed the importance of loving companions on social and cognitive development. He took the monkeys and exposed them to two...
  • Commented on Autism: Paranoid or Prepared?
    I like how you presented various sides to the topic. I believe that to a certain extent the increase in numbers is due to the heightened awareness of the Autism but also, there must be another reason for the dramatic...
  • Commented on Who is in Control?
    That is very interesting! It's amazing to think that our mind has already made a decision seconds prior to actually acting on it. However, I wonder if this would change if the task were more complex than just picking a...
  • Commented on Where did I put that?
    I also heard that about Pat Summit. I was just wondering how long the onset of dementia takes and how fast the disease progresses in the average individual?...
  • Commented on Alzheimer's: The Dementia Enigma
    Great info on the specific genetic causes of the disease. I was just wondering if it is more common to affect a particular sex?...
  • Commented on What Adults Can't Hear..Are the rumors true?
    Very cool! I wonder what age specifically we start to lose the ability to hear these high pitches....
  • Commented on The Truth About Autism
    I find it very interesting that such an impactful disorder has yet so many unanswered questions and that there are 20 genes said to be connected with the disorder....
  • Posted Supertasters to Psychology 1001 Sections 10-11 Spring 2012
    Do you think coffee is too bitter, ice cream too rich, or perhaps chili peppers too hot? If you do, you may be a supertaster! Taste researchers say there are three groups of people: non-tasters (account for roughly 25% of...
  • Commented on Sport's Psychology
    It's interesting that it is not beneficial to be overprepared. I have never thought about it that way but I do agree that it is more beneficial to be calm and focused rather than too excited and make silly mistakes...
  • Commented on Injuries in Sports
    I think all of the injuries can partly be attributed to the fact that more and more people are becoming involved in sports and there are more games being played now days than there have ever been. I do agree...
  • Commented on Chapter 12, Stress
    Its interesting to think about the different kinds of stress and how/why they occur and how we can prevent them. I agree with Yao in that stress and lifestyle can go hand in hand but how will we can we...
  • Commented on Chapter 11: Emotion and Motivation
    Both the James-Lange theory and the Cannon-Bard theory are interesting to think about. They raise the question "Can we control our emotions or are they natural reactions to stimuli like the James-Lange theory suggests?"...
  • Commented on Caught in Limbo? (Chapter 5)
    Lucid dreaming sounds very interesting! I always wonder what the purpose is for all of those phenomena and also how sleep-walking, lucid dreaming, ect. are related....
  • Commented on Chapter Three: Biological Psychology
    Wow! It was very interesting to hear that our brain and nervous system "prunes" over 70% of our neurons in order to make our brains more efficient. I had always heard that we are always building new neurons and connections...
  • Posted Chapter Six Summary to Psychology 1001 Sections 10-11 Spring 2012
    Chapter six's main theme is learning. In the book, learning is defined as a change in an organism's behavior or thought as a result of experience. Learning can be applied to two main conditionings that are talked about in chapter...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from joh09495

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page