S.Y.Yao

• Commented on Seeing the world... through language
    It's really hard for a learner to think in a second language way. I don't know the reason, maybe the deep influence in the first language, maybe something else....
  • Commented on Finding a job with my big five
    I think it's good to know ourselves, especially our personality. you are right, since almost all the interviewer will ask what our strength is. it's important to know that....
  • Commented on Milgram Experiment
    Actually, this experiment reminds me a historical figure in Chinese history. He obeyed empire's order and finally lost his life. People feel stressed when they either obey an unreasonable order or disobey an authority figure. They will choose the one...
  • Commented on Body Language
    Agree. Since I like to do observations, that Chapter is one of my favorite. It's really amazing that you can read people only by their behaviors....
  • Posted Similarity=Comfort´╝č to Psychology 1001 Sections 10-11 Spring 2012
    Our human being are social animals. Therefore, we can not just live alone. I like to observe people wherever I go. As an international student, it's natural for me to look for similarity and difference among people here to...
  • Posted Positive Attitude after A Big Deal to Psychology 1001 Sections 10-11 Spring 2012
    We can find two concepts of social psychology in the clip above. Door-in-face technique at the beginning and social lofting later. Eric's eight thousand dollar seems too far away from the real price, fifteen dollar, while his making use...
  • Commented on Divorce and Children
    It's complicated. For the elder children, it might easy for them to understand parent's divorce, like you and your sister. while for those children in some certain age, like your brother, it's not a easy thing, it's a key time...
  • Commented on Peers vs Parents
    I think it depends, no one can deny parent's influence on us, we can have different kinds of peers around us, but we only have one couple of parents, the ones who share half gene and same blood with us....
  • Commented on What to do or what not to do? That is the question.
    yes, friends are very important, and it's not just for young people but for everyone. however, if a friend ask you to do something you think immoral, tell him/her it's not good, if he/she insists, it might be the time...
  • Commented on combatting racism today in America
    racism is a kind of concept or way of think that not easy to change in people's mind, because people inherite it generation by generation. many american might deny their prejudice, but oral is always powerless than actions. their attitude...
  • Commented on Liar liar
    that's true, polygraph test is not accurate, for those who have been well-trained or with high sense of the rule of this test, it always makes them escaped and it shows high positive false, so the court don't really accept...
  • Commented on Popular Culture on: Love and Marriage
    Because of those movies and dramas, many people out of US think that is the reflection of the real life style here. That's the power of media....
  • Commented on Throw our IQ/Standardized Testing
    Unfortunatelly I am from a country that 100% relys on the standardized test for selecting students to go to university. Personally, I don't agree with its dominance of most of people's life. But it's very controversial to say. Someone might...
  • Commented on The Definition of Beauty
    Haha, you are absolutely right, and moreover, I think men in all cultures pay attentions on women's physical attractiveness, especially on appearances. The only difference is their vaule of beauty might be slightly different. The diverse of sense of beauty...
  • Commented on Beauty, in the eye of the beholder?
    Hey, I do agree with you. Since the vaule of beauty is really diverse all over the world. One of the most interesting thing is someone western people think are pretty but don't even reach to the beauty standard in...
  • Commented on Say YES to the Dress
    It's a interesting question you raised after your introduction of the show. "What is the criteria that makes for good relationships?" I think another important thing is that he/she is the one who makes you feel you are who you...
  • Commented on Asian Parents are STRICT!
    Hi, I think I can somewhat understand you, since I grew up in this kind of cultrual background and envirionment. The real situations of asian-style parenting in each countries, even cities, are more diverse actually. (I guess you might be...
  • Commented on Eliciting Emotions Through Advertisement
    Classical conditioning is widely used by those marketing people, and usually those ads are useful....
  • Commented on Alzheimer's: The Dementia Enigma
    It is a clear description and explanation. The picture makes me easy to understand the progresses of Alzheimer....
  • Commented on Do you know what is Alzheimer Disease?
    Alzheimer, a disease that will make a whole family desperate. People lost their memory. There hasn't been any way to treat patients up to now. It might be caused by stroke. My grandmas had this disease before. I can understand...
  • Commented on Sybil- Multiple Personality Disorder
    I am very interested in this topic. I know a movie called "Identity" is also about this disorder....
  • Posted Our Brain is Like a ... Palace. to Psychology 1001 Sections 10-11 Spring 2012
    Method of Loci, which was discussed in our lecture as well as in our text books, has another more impressive name, Memory Palace. This is a memory method originated from ancient Greek. People who can successfully make use of...
  • Commented on Sense of Smell
    I always think those who have super-sense of smell and taste are really awesome. This is a very interesting topic. And also, you mentioned animal's sense of smell. Some animal, like dogs, their ability to smell well do assist them...
  • Commented on Grand Theft Childhood?
    We can only say they might be correlated, but definitely not cause and effect. most of the time, children's violence tendency is from adult's behaviors, because our human beings are good at imitating. We can not just throw this guilty...
  • Commented on Correlation versus Causation: Social Networking and Personal Confidence
    I agree with you, and I think you are very critical on this topic. Whether social networking helps teen's really social skills? I don't really think so, maybe it enhance teen's sense of loneliness. I have some friends. Their way...
  • Commented on Could a Strict Diet Ease (or possibly cure) Autism?
    Really? For the extraordinary claims, we also need extraordinary evidence. The exact cause of autism is still unknown, although the genetic reason tends to be the major one. This diet method is easy to cause malnutrition, we really need some...
  • Commented on Is the Dog Whisperer magic?
    It's really a beautiful dog. I agree that having a well-behaved dog is very important for the family. Truly, it's always effective to use positive reinforcement to train our dogs. Awesome!...
  • Commented on Out-of-Body Experiences and The Ghost Behind You
    Aha, finally I know the reason. I sometimes have the same experience that feel someone is behind me but see nothing following. All is because of angular gyrus, the part of my brain. It's great to know this. When I...
  • Commented on "That is so cool, Whale!"
    yes, animals are really good observational learners, and most of them are smart to learn behaviors. Yes, you're right. I think the best way to train our own pets is by using food as a positive reinforcement.^^ This is a...
  • Commented on Shopping for Perfection
    yes, that's what those commercials intend to do. They use classical conditioning to catch our woman's eyes and persuade us to buy their products. I guess those marketing guys must be good at psychological methods....
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from S.Y.Yao

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page