abdox021

• Posted Memorable Psychology Topic: The Big Five Model of Personality to Psychology 1001 Sections 10-11 Spring 2012
    I'm a frequent user of mnemonic devices, and when "OCEAN" was introduced during discussion section, I knew that I wouldn't forget it. I found the study of personality very interesting, especially the concept of factor analysis and the Big Five....
  • Commented on Memorable Psychology Topic
    I agree, social psychology is an incredibly memorable topic. I found Asch's studies on conformity very interesting as well. It is fascinating (and sometimes scary) how deindividuation can cause people to behave in ways that they never would if they...
  • Commented on Beauty, in the eye of the beholder?
    I really like this entry! It is very interesting to read about the beauty practices across the world. I find it very cool that there isn't one true standard of beauty, and that "beauty is in the eye of the...
  • Commented on The Definition of Beauty
    I agree, this post is very interesting and well-written. I think it's interesting to see the different beauty standards across the globe, but also the common characteristics. It does seem that men value physical attractiveness and women place more importance...
  • Commented on Love and Marraige according to You, Me, and Dupree
    I really like this blog entry! It's fun to see psychology concepts applied to situations. I agree that Carl and Molly seem like a perfect couple. I'm curious as to what psychologists would have to say about Dupree!...
  • Posted Nature Versus Nurture: Genetic Predisposition and Parenting Styles to Psychology 1001 Sections 10-11 Spring 2012
    http://www.harrypotterrealm.com/movie/ss_dursleys5.jpg Growing up in a large extended family, I've seen various parenting styles. Because of this, I was particularly drawn to Diana Baumrind's study on parenting. After analyzing over 100 families, she divided parenting styles into three major groups: authoritarian,...
  • Commented on Knock knock. Who's there? BANANA.
    This is such a great example of mental sets and surface salients. Both projects involve plants, so it would seem that they would require similar problem-solving methods. The fact that the rose project requires "thinking outside of the box" and...
  • Commented on Are violent video games making our generation more violent?
    This is an incredibly interesting topic. I agree that violent video games can increase aggressive behavior, but may not directly induce it. It seems that another factor would have to be in play, such as real-world conflict, to cause violent...
  • Commented on Eliciting Emotions Through Advertisement
    This is a really good blog entry! I like how the elements of the advertisement are directly broken down into unconditioned stimulus, unconditioned response, etc. The ad is a perfect example of conditioning. Also, while this image may evoke lust...
  • Commented on Alzheimers.
    Alzheimer's is an incredibly difficult disease, not only for those suffering from it but also for their loved ones and caretakers. I like how this blog points out that Alzheimer's is not a normal part of getting older. It isn't...
  • Commented on Oh Na Na, Whats My Name?
    I really liked reading this entry, and I'm also a fan of the Bourne Identity. It's interesting how many films are based on retrograde amnesia, when in reality anterograde is much more common. Given a choice, I would choose retrograde...
  • Commented on Alzheimer's: The Dementia Enigma
    I enjoyed reading this blog, it's a very good summary on the illness. I espcecially appreciated the diagram as well as the analysis of the genetic basis of Alzheimer's. This is such an awful disease and I truly hope that...
  • Commented on Alzheimer's and Love
    Alzheimer's is truly a devastating disease, it was difficult watching my grandfather suffer from it for many years. He never seemed to have a momentary regaining of memory like Allie did in the Notebook, although he always remembered his wife....
  • Commented on Cat Speak: Beyond the Lolcat
    I really liked reading this blog! It's amazing how complex interactions can be between people and their pets. I like how you analyzed this through the lens of psychology. I agree that the pack mentality of dogs would differ from...
  • Commented on The Vaccine-Autism Scare
    I have always been confused as to why one would link vaccination to autism, so it's good to know more about the controversy and its history. I agree: Jenny McCarthy displays extreme belief perseverance. This scare is incredibly regrettable; clearly...
  • Commented on What helps keep us aware of ourselves and the world around us?
    This is a very interesting topic! The concept of consciousness is fascinating, and I'm really interested in the methods scientists are using to understand it further. My favorite part of this blog was the report that "with this experiment, we...
  • Commented on Is the Dog Whisperer magic?
    The treadmill looks like a great training method! I think it's cool how psychological principles and findings can be used in everyday life. I don't think that the Dog Whisperer is magic, but he seems to know something about classical...
  • Commented on Shopping for Perfection
    It is amazing to the extent that advertisers use classical conditioning. The make-up advertisements such are a perfect example of this. It is interesting that they don't need to have much truth in their advertising: although the image of Julia...
  • Commented on Autism: Paranoid or Prepared?
    This is a very interesting topic. I think that is wonderful that people are increaingly aware of autism, but you bring up an interesting point that there may be increased (and sometimes incorrect) diagnosis as a result. Because autism is...
  • Posted Correlation versus Causation: Social Networking and Personal Confidence to Psychology 1001 Sections 10-11 Spring 2012
    It seems like everyone is on Facebook these days, so when browsing through articles to write about, I was drawn to one addressing how social media affects friendships. The article addressed how these sites influence teens, and as I continued...
  • Commented on Chapter 12: Stress, Coping, and Health
    I'm very glad that there is a chapter in the textbook devoted to stress, coping and health. The ability to manage stress is so important to one's daily life. I find it very interesting that people who could not only...
  • Commented on Biological Psychology (Chapter 3)
    The amount of neurons in the human brain is amazing. I'm also fascinated by the biological aspect of psychology! The studies of people who have undergone split brain surgery were highly informative for scientists, but also very sad. I wonder...
  • Commented on Chapter 11: Emotions
    I really enjoyed reading this blog post. The different theories of the causes of emotion are fascinating. Feelings are such an integral part of humanity, and I am looking forward to learning more about emotion in the Psychology lectures. The...
  • Commented on 2012: A Claim With Poor Evidence
    Agreed: I don't think there is nearly enough evidence to support this extraordinary claim. It is also interesting that there is scant evidence in Mayan records about the world ending. I really like the logical reasoning in this blog, and...
  • Commented on R.I.P. - My lifelong belief in "The Hot Hand"
    I think it's great that you read Thomas Gilovich's study, that was a very interesting part of the textbook. Belief perserverance is such a pervasive sentiment, so many people believe in winning streaks. I really liked your analysis of "The...
  • Commented on DREAMS: THE SECRET LIFE
    I really enjoyed this blog! Dreams are fascinating, and I'm very interested in studying them and how they may be scientifically tested. There are so many possible interpretations for dreams. I wonder if they are fantastical regurgitations of previous thoughts...
  • Commented on How Much is too Much? Caffeine's Effect on the body
    I find it interesting that caffeine does not help in weight loss. I've been told many times that drinking coffee burns calories: perhaps that's just an urban myth. Another intriguing aspect of caffeine is the tolerance that a person can...
  • Commented on Chapter Nine: Intelligence and IQ
    After reading this summary, I'm really looking forward to studying intelligence and IQ in class. One thing that does interest me, however, is the possiblility that the IQ test is biased: how can one truly quantify raw intelligence? Does the...
  • Posted Chapter One Summary to Psychology 1001 Sections 10-11 Spring 2012
    The first chapter of "Psychology: From Inquiry to Understanding" is an introduction to the field of psychology. It defines psychology as "the scientific study of the brain, mind and behavior." I really enjoyed this chapter, because it gave a very...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from abdox021

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page