rube0059

• Commented on Angel vs. Devil
    This is a great analogy! I never thought to compare the id and the superego to the little devil and angel sitting on a persons shoulders (the ego) and trying to sway the ego one way or another. It is...
  • Commented on When all you know is a lie.
    This a great post and a perfect way to spread awareness of the irreversible disease that causes much hardship not only do those directly effected by it, but also to their family members and friends who are forgetting by somebody...
  • Commented on Sherlock Holmes - A Man of Extremes
    This is an awesome idea for a blog. I think you did a great job describing Sherlock Holmes' personality and analyzing him with the Big Five traits. To me it seems that the popularity of the hit character is in...
  • Commented on coping strategies for stress
    This is a very interesting topic that most everybody faces in our everyday lives. I think the problem-focused coping strategy is a great idea if you can get it to work for you, but I also agree that this is...
  • Commented on First kid, the smartest one?
    I tend to agree with you and the studies that show that the first born is usually more responsible and wise and typically the "best" child. However, I also think that today's culture is starting to raise their kids to...
  • Posted Memorable Moments in Learning to Psychology 1001 Sections 10-11 Spring 2012
    I think that for me, the most memorable topic we have learned in psychology this semester is in fact the topic about learning and teaching children. I always found it a fascinating subject wondering just how it is that we...
  • Commented on How is intelligence portrayed in the media?
    This is an interesting point. I think you're right in that, slowly but surely, our portayal of women in popular media is becoming more and more respectable and they are coming to been seen as equals to men, as it...
  • Commented on Do Ask, Do Tell: An encouragement for freedom of expression and sexual orientation in the military
    I totally agree with everything you are saying. I think it is esspecially important that you pointed out the bit about separation of church and state. I went to a Catholic high school and was brought up on the view...
  • Commented on Have you had a demon visit you at night???
    This is really very interesting, I guess I've never personally heard of anybody experencing this, and you add an interesting perspective with your previous experiences. The one thing I wonder is how do cultural beliefs, like the Tai belief that...
  • Commented on Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire
    Interesting topic! I think the lie detector test could be a helpful starter tool and investigating suspects but due to the high rate of false positives and how unreliable it can be, I find it astounding that results can hold...
  • Commented on Asian Parents are STRICT!
    Although I think it is a bit stereotypical to say that Asian parents are more strict than caucasians or African Americans, I can relate to your view on the authoritative parenting style. My parents were also very stict, not allowing...
  • Posted Popular Culture on: Love and Marriage to Psychology 1001 Sections 10-11 Spring 2012
    It is widely seen in movies and television programs today that our cultural views on love and marriage are progressively changing. It seems to me that our culture once viewed love as special feeling we reserve for one special person,...
  • Commented on Correlation versus Causation: Social Networking and Personal Confidence
    This is a very interesting point. My personal experience with Facebook actually shows the opposite of what the research you found is showing which to makes it hard to believe. What I see on Facebook is a lot of useless...
  • Commented on Why The Vacuum Is Not A Friend To Your Dog
    This is a really interesting fact! I knew that dogs had greater sense of hearing that do humans, but I never connected this thought to the seemingly strange say dogs act around vaccuums! This makes a whole lot more sense...
  • Commented on I didn't choose to eat that, I swear
    I watched the same part of this video for my blog and although it seems very convincing, I'm not sure whether or not I believe the evidence they say supports the conclusion that we do not make conscious decisions. Couldn't...
  • Commented on Apprennez uma neue lingua σήμερα !
    This is a very interesting topic. I, myself have been studying Spanish for 6 years, and have found that through studying another language not only have I learned how to structure sentances across cultures, but I have also found myself...
  • Commented on Our Brain is Like a ... Palace.
    This is a very interesting idea. Personally, though, I think this sounds like a long process to memorize something, especially if it's just a grocery list or list of items. I've never tried it, so I don't know, maybe it...
  • Commented on Emotional Expressions
    You add very interesting insight to the idea that animals show different facial expressions and I agree that it is fun that we can tell what our pets want by the way the react in certain situations; however, i disagree...
  • Commented on So Imprinting Isn't Completely Ridiculous?
    This idea is very interesting! That was a part of the Twighlight movies that I always found fascinating, but the research by Konrad Lorenz seems slightly unrelated in that he discovered a bond between mother and child not between star-crossed...
  • Commented on Oh where do I go, where do I go?
    I really liked you idea of using the decision about what college to go to as an example of the Prospect Theory. Deciding what college to attend is a very important choice that requires careful consideration which is what this...
  • Posted Who is in Control? to Psychology 1001 Sections 10-11 Spring 2012
    Who is in charge of your thoughts, words and actions? Do you have free will? The ability to make decisions for yourself? Or is there some high power or authority over you causing each of you to act without knowing?...
  • Commented on Intelligence & IQ Testing (Ch. 9)
    This topic reminds me of all those tests we had to take in high school about what 'type' of learners we are. These tests made it easier for the instructors to teach in accordance to the different 'intelligences' within the...
  • Commented on Illusory Correlation
    I think this chapter sounds very intrersting in that it seems to discuss topics that we can all relate to. Although many of us truely believe that stereotyping is wrong, myself included, we still tend to, seemingly without thinking, sort...
  • Posted Chapter 11: Emotion and Motivation to Psychology 1001 Sections 10-11 Spring 2012
    The initial portion of this chapter discusses emotions: why and how we as humans experience them. Although it remains unknown the cause of emotions, there are several widely accepted theories that help explain the phenomenon. One such prominent theory is...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from rube0059

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page