graz0029

• Commented on Do you believe in ghosts?
    One thing that we do know scientifically is that sleep paralysis occurs while your brain is still technically in REM sleep. During REM, there is basically a switch that shuts off your body's ability to move (otherwise, imagine how everyone...
  • Commented on Have You Ever Experienced Lucid Dreaming???
    That's so cool that so many of you have had lucid dreams! I knew it was pretty common, but still, I'm envious of those of you who have them often (it's only happened to me a couple of times). One...
  • Commented on Uh-oh! Somebody Made a Stinky!
    That video is amazing. Good find!...
  • Commented on Advertisements that manipulate you into buying a product (groupC)
    "Blow in her face and she'll follow you anywhere" actually made my jaw drop. I wonder what other marketing campaigns have changed this drastically within the space of a century!!...
  • Commented on Sneaky Ring Tones
    The file: http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencycheckhigh.php...
  • Commented on Sneaky Ring Tones
    Here's a file with an audio test on it. I could only hear something from 18k on (22k-19k were silent to my ears... too many concerts in my younger days, I guess..)...
  • Commented on Becoming aware of the self
    This is such a great post, thanks Jay. It does seem like most animals lack the ability to truly plan and perceive time. A lot of scientists have tried to successfully complete the sentence "Humans are the only animals that...
  • Commented on Imagine Taking as Much Shit As Your Car
    (I was staring at my car from my porch as I read this and now I feel SO GUILTY... haha... poor car, so dirty, so lonely...)...
    Man, I felt guilty too! Crazy. Very effective... and I think the profanity adds to the shock value and makes you look a second time. (I wonder if they caught any, er, sh** for this ad)...
  • Commented on Consciousness and Free Will: Real, Fake, or Irrelevant?
    It's true that the goal of science is to refine understanding--that is why really, at the end of the day, consciousness is probably not such an intractable problem. Our knowledge of ourselves biologically, as well as our understanding of how...
  • Commented on Animal training
    Go, bunny, go go! Shaping really is amazing, I agree. What human examples can you think of? Clara, you raise a good point. Grading can be sort of an underwhelming reward process, especially when some assignments are weighted so differently...
  • Commented on How Does This Ad Work? The Rick Perry Edition
    Alex, what do you think of the comments so far? This could be a really interesting debate. Have any of you encountered the study that shows that Conservatives are more likely to think that Stephen Colbert is seriously espousing the...
  • Commented on 50 First Dates
    Awesome--knowing more about the way the brain works definitely makes it harder to suspend belief during movies with plots like in 50 first dates!...
  • Commented on Autism
    Lauren, this is so interesting, and I'm impressed with what a measured and informed view that you've taken on an issue that has so deeply impacted on your family. Figuring out the nature of developmental timing in autism and understanding...
  • Commented on Heritability
    Nice job, but you have to be really careful when you think about individual cases/preferences (as opposed to looking at how heritable traits are in a large number of people). Heritability is sort of a weird concept to wrap your...
  • Commented on Pseudoscience or not?
    Great post, Julieta! And I love all the comments, I'm so happy to hear that you guys are savvy about questioning health claims and diet tricks. Talk about an area where there is an overwhelming quantity of conflicting information--especially online....
  • Commented on Where'd you get those GENES?
    Nice work, Rachel! I agree that genetics clearly play a huge role in shaping our behaviors and preferences. Everyone who pointed out that more information about the adoptive parents would be helpful--great points, that's so true. Many times, adoption agencies...
  • Commented on Homosexuality: Nature vs. Nurture
    Eryn, I agree that the biological differences between straight and gay men are really interesting to consider! There are some interesting evolutionary hypotheses about why same-sex relationship/sexual preferences are about equally prevalent in all human cultures; one possibility is related...
  • Commented on Is Free Will an Illusion?
    Ooooo, you took on a tough topic! The free will debate has been going on for centuries in philosophy, and is gaining new insights from psychology and neuroscience. So far as I know, the debate has not been settled, though...
  • Commented on CAFFEINE!!! Is it good of bad for you?
    Heather, that video is hilarious (though I think she may be confusing the effects of caffeine with the effects of methamphetamines--haha). I love when she shotguns the energy drink. That girl is nuts, I've seen some of her other stuff......
  • Commented on Yoga, the invisible killer?
    Wenmeng, I totally agree with your first reaction! I was so alarmed when I read an article about this last month in the New York Times !!! Huiwen, Heather, and Clara: I think you are exactly right in your responses--anything...
  • Commented on My First Blog, I think (chapter 15)
    Oliver Sacks! Awakenings is one of my favorite movies (highly recommend to anyone else in this class who hasn't seen it). I agree that the field of psychology and psychiatry is way too big for its britches when it comes...
  • Commented on Don't Be a Victim to Your Own Eyes (Chapter 2)
    This is a great post! (Though a bit above the word limit, haha--but that's okay) My favorite bias is the confirmation bias ,which describes the tendency for people interpret information in a way that confirms their own preexisting beliefs--an especially...
  • Posted How to Write an Amazing Blog to Wednesday Wanderings
    I have experimented with blogging and learned how to incorporate fun and interesting features like videos, images, and hyperlinks, I'm expecting you to do the same. But that doesn't mean I'm going to leave you high and dry, so in...
  • Posted How To Write An Amazing Blog to Pondering Psychology
  • Posted Chapter Five: Emotions to Pondering Psychology
    Emotions are there so motivated behavior can happen...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from graz0029

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page