joh09532

• Posted All the Great People of India to IBuS 3033 spring 2014
    There were a lot of interesting people I met in my time in India. For this entry, I'm going to give a description of the most memorable ones and what I'll remember the most about them. Sushil:  The first Indian guy that we met during my experience in India was Sushil, our guide in Delhi and Agra. As we got on the bus, one of the first things he tells us that when driving through India, "In India, nothing ever happens in front of you. You must always look to your left and to your right, because that's where...
  • Posted Hard Rock Cafe to IBuS 3033 spring 2014
    One of the more memorable nights I had in India was when we all went to the Hard Rock Café in Bangalore. After staying in the hotel bar the previous night, I decided to go out with the group for some food and drinks. They had this deal where we could get unlimited appetizers and drinks for the price of 1500 rupees, so I made sure that I would get my money's worth by drinking (and eating) more than my fair share. Getting to the Hard Rock Café was just a mess of walking through traffic. For some reason...
  • Posted Security in India to IBuS 3033 spring 2014
    Something that I didn't expect to see during my time in India was the amount of security I saw wherever we went. The first experience I had with security was at the Hans Hotel in Delhi. We had to enter the hotel through a metal detector where a security guard would check all of handbags and backpacks to make sure nothing suspicious inside them. At first, I didn't think too much about it because it didn't really stand out, but as we started to visit more and more hotels, we experienced this type of security at every place we...
  • Posted Advice to Future Students to IBuS 3033 spring 2014
    The following is a list of all the things I would tell next year's students before they went on the trip: Do some research on the companies you're visiting on the trip. I did very little research on the companies, and I had some limited knowledge of what some of the places did. This also lets you have an idea of some good questions to ask during the question and answer session. When packing, make sure you have enough clothing for all the days.  If I could do it again, I would pack way more polos and dress shirts...
  • Posted Infosys Visit to IBuS 3033 spring 2014
    My favorite company site visit during the trip was Infosys's corporate university in Mysore. When you first go to the entrance gate, you can't really see the entire thing. However, once you enter, you notice that the place is huge and it would take forever to walk around the entire place. We had to take a golf cart to the building where the presentation was in order to save time.  After we got to the building and some pictures, we met one of the guys who worked for Infosys and began to tell us about what they do there...
  • Posted T.G.I. Friday's: American Food in India to IBuS 3033 spring 2014
    After spending a night at Christ University, we got to a nicer hotel in Bangalore and most of the group went to TG.I Friday's to eat dinner and experience some American food for the first time this trip. Personally, I wasn't quite sure what to expect out the experience, but I was hungry and I wanted some good food. When we first got there, the first thing I noticed was how the restaurant looked from the inside. The Indian version of T.G.I Friday's gives off a very American feel to it, there are lots of memorabilia from Elvis Presley...
  • Posted Initial Impression of India to IBuS 3033 spring 2014
    Now that I have experienced India for a full day, I have made some observations about the differences between America and India. First of all, after only 5 minutes of being outside the airport I saw a couple of dogs just lying around on the street corner. I wasn't quite sure what I thought of that because part of me was amused at the dogs, but I questioned whether I should be worried about their cleanliness. Seeing animals all over the place became common throughout the day as I saw multiple cows and some more dogs randomly on the...
  • Posted The White Tiger Final Review. to IBuS 3033 spring 2014
             After reading the last half of the book, I think that a lot of my initial thoughts about the book have been maintained. In the first half of the book, I liked the book quite a bit for its subtle humor and the generally easiness to follow and understand. In the second half of the book, the plot begins to become faster paced as Balram and his master go to New Delhi and he gets to experience the life of the upper class more often. One of the most prominent parts of the book is the difference in...
  • Posted Article Rresponse to IBuS 3033 spring 2014
               Many of the articles I read dealt with the challenges that the American automakers and motorcycle companies face when doing business in India. According to the article, Ford and General Motors hold approximately 3% of the market share in India, while the industry leaders like Suzuki and Hyundai have about 42% and 15% respectively. It is very important for Ford and General Motors to be able to break into this market because India is one of the fastest growing markets in the world. The main obstacle that Ford and General Motors are facing is meeting the desires of...
  • Posted Current Event: 2014 Election Turnout to IBuS 3033 spring 2014
    http://www.hindustantimes.com/elections2014/the-big-story/voting-begins-121-constituencies-12-states-195-million-voters-in-5th-phase/article1-1209013.aspx     Starting from April 7th and ending on May 12th, India is having a general election and India's citizens are turning out in large numbers. According to the article, voter turnout is almost 65% and in some places it is 85%. I thought that this was interesting because in America, 85% voter turnout is considered extremely high and wasn't achieved by any state in 2012. The article stated that the cause for this is the general sentiment against the incumbents and a desire for change. One of the candidates for the BJP party said that first time voters has increased...
  • Posted The White Tiger Part 1 to IBuS 3033 spring 2014
         The book that I chose to read for this class was Aravind Adiga's White Tiger. I picked it because I thought it would be the most interesting of the 4, and overall I am happy with my decision and I've enjoyed reading it.      The narrator's name is Balram Halwai and he tells of his life story starting from his schooling up to his murder of his boss. The story is told in the form of written letters addressed to the Premier of China which allow the reader to gather insight of Balram's inner thoughts on each event...
  • Posted TED Speech Review to IBuS 3033 spring 2014
    Rajesh Rao's TED video "A Rosetta Stone for the Indus Script" was about efforts to decipher the Indus Valley Civilization's script by using patterns that can be found in all of today's languages. Through using small and rare artifacts, he is hopeful that by using these patterns experts can figure out this ancient language.                 After watching the video, I thought that his video was engaging and he had a lot of interesting things to say.  I thought that his logic and reasoning were sound and made a lot of sense. For example, using signs in today's world and...
  • Posted First Impression of India to IBuS 3033 spring 2014
             To be completely honest, I don't know too much about what India is like, so most of my opinions on it are derived from what I have heard from friends that are Indian and what I have seen and heard on TV and movies.  For me, one of the first things that comes to my mind when I think of India are crowded streets traveling from one place to the next can take a long time because of all of the congestion.  Something else that comes to mind when I think of India is the high volume of...
  • Commented on Which Sibling is the Best?
    This is very interesting because in my family, my older sister is definitely smarter than me and less extroverted. When i think of other families I know, it seems consistent with the research, but I'm not sure how accurate it...
  • Commented on What I Will Remember From Psych 1001: When Sweet Children Become Conniving Monsters
    I enjoyed watching the children's reactions to the video and it made me think how children react to hearing "devastating " news. This clearly shows how young children's brains aren't as developed as adult's brains are....
  • Commented on Final Blog!
    How we remember things interests me as well. Sensory memory is the something that I didn't even know existed and if it wasn't for this class, I would have never learned it....
  • Commented on Social Psychology NO REGRETZ
    I think society strongly influences what we do. I am conforming right now by just agreeing with what everybody else has to say . Everyone conforms in a way even if they don't want to admit it....
  • Commented on Final Blog: The Big FIve
    I think that I will remember the Big 5 personality traits too. I think that they give us good insight into our true personalities....
  • Commented on A Scientific Experiment
    I think that what makes a good experiment is something that I'll remember too. I think that this class has made us use critical thinking skills to answer questions....
  • Commented on Final Blog!
    This was interesting! I think that correlation vs. causation is a very interesting topic to discuss. This is a very noteworthy topic because it has made me think whether ones thing is the cause of others....
  • Posted Conditioned Responses to Wednesday Wanderings
    When I look back on this class in five years, I will have many thoughts and feelings about what i learned, but the one concept that will stick in my mind is how we learn. I remember reading the chapter...
  • Commented on Lying
    Actually, I'm not surprised at all that people can tell what lies are only 55% of the time. I think people overestimate their abilities in reading other people's body language and their words when determining if what they say is...
  • Commented on the thing about gay marriage is...
    I enjoyed reading this blog quite a bit. You said your opinions very well in a very direct way. I also agree with you that not letting homosexuals get married is wrong because it's preventing them from having a right...
  • Commented on The Paris Syndrome
    I think that this has to do with people having certain expectations for places, and the disappointment when the places aren't what they're expected to be. What I wonder however, is if people experience this in cities other than Paris....
  • Posted What influences our IQ to Wednesday Wanderings
    Think about in television shows and movies where there is an impoverished kid who accomplishes great things. There characters are portrayed as inspirations because they are not supposed to contain high intelligences because of their unfortunate situations. However, is socioeconomic...
  • Commented on Children and objects
    I was surprised when I found out that when young children can't see things, they don't believe they are hidden. I just thought that little kids were stupid. I was even more surprised with the water experiment that they did...
  • Commented on Polygraph Tests- Can we trust them?
    I feel that polygraph tests aren't reliable enough for them to be used in convicting criminals. They don't tell if someone lies, they just see if there is a changes in blood pressure, and one can alter results by doing...
  • Commented on Authoritarian-ative is ok right?
    I definitely feel that each parenting style gives varying degrees of success for different types of children. I would say that the authoritative parenting would be the most effective because it puts children in line, but thy also are forgiving...
  • Commented on Aggression in Children
    I really liked this entry. I'm surprised to read that violent crime rates are decreasing because the media makes it seem like they are going up. I agree with you that violent video games and television programs are the main...
  • Commented on The Studious Life of a Polyglot
    That video was really surprising, I didn't know how much time polyglots spend reading and writing all these languages They are very dedicated to language and I'm shocked anybody would have the time and interest to do all that....
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from joh09532

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page