joh09532

• Posted Article Rresponse to IBuS 3033 spring 2014
               Many of the articles I read dealt with the challenges that the American automakers and motorcycle companies face when doing business in India. According to the article, Ford and General Motors hold approximately 3% of the market share in India, while the industry leaders like Suzuki and Hyundai have about 42% and 15% respectively. It is very important for Ford and General Motors to be able to break into this market because India is one of the fastest growing markets in the world. The main obstacle that Ford and General Motors are facing is meeting the desires of...
  • Posted Current Event: 2014 Election Turnout to IBuS 3033 spring 2014
    http://www.hindustantimes.com/elections2014/the-big-story/voting-begins-121-constituencies-12-states-195-million-voters-in-5th-phase/article1-1209013.aspx     Starting from April 7th and ending on May 12th, India is having a general election and India's citizens are turning out in large numbers. According to the article, voter turnout is almost 65% and in some places it is 85%. I thought that this was interesting because in America, 85% voter turnout is considered extremely high and wasn't achieved by any state in 2012. The article stated that the cause for this is the general sentiment against the incumbents and a desire for change. One of the candidates for the BJP party said that first time voters has increased...
  • Posted The White Tiger Part 1 to IBuS 3033 spring 2014
         The book that I chose to read for this class was Aravind Adiga's White Tiger. I picked it because I thought it would be the most interesting of the 4, and overall I am happy with my decision and I've enjoyed reading it.      The narrator's name is Balram Halwai and he tells of his life story starting from his schooling up to his murder of his boss. The story is told in the form of written letters addressed to the Premier of China which allow the reader to gather insight of Balram's inner thoughts on each event...
  • Posted TED Speech Review to IBuS 3033 spring 2014
    Rajesh Rao's TED video "A Rosetta Stone for the Indus Script" was about efforts to decipher the Indus Valley Civilization's script by using patterns that can be found in all of today's languages. Through using small and rare artifacts, he is hopeful that by using these patterns experts can figure out this ancient language.                 After watching the video, I thought that his video was engaging and he had a lot of interesting things to say.  I thought that his logic and reasoning were sound and made a lot of sense. For example, using signs in today's world and...
  • Posted First Impression of India to IBuS 3033 spring 2014
             To be completely honest, I don't know too much about what India is like, so most of my opinions on it are derived from what I have heard from friends that are Indian and what I have seen and heard on TV and movies.  For me, one of the first things that comes to my mind when I think of India are crowded streets traveling from one place to the next can take a long time because of all of the congestion.  Something else that comes to mind when I think of India is the high volume of...
  • Commented on Which Sibling is the Best?
    This is very interesting because in my family, my older sister is definitely smarter than me and less extroverted. When i think of other families I know, it seems consistent with the research, but I'm not sure how accurate it...
  • Commented on What I Will Remember From Psych 1001: When Sweet Children Become Conniving Monsters
    I enjoyed watching the children's reactions to the video and it made me think how children react to hearing "devastating " news. This clearly shows how young children's brains aren't as developed as adult's brains are....
  • Commented on Final Blog!
    How we remember things interests me as well. Sensory memory is the something that I didn't even know existed and if it wasn't for this class, I would have never learned it....
  • Commented on Social Psychology NO REGRETZ
    I think society strongly influences what we do. I am conforming right now by just agreeing with what everybody else has to say . Everyone conforms in a way even if they don't want to admit it....
  • Commented on Final Blog: The Big FIve
    I think that I will remember the Big 5 personality traits too. I think that they give us good insight into our true personalities....
  • Commented on A Scientific Experiment
    I think that what makes a good experiment is something that I'll remember too. I think that this class has made us use critical thinking skills to answer questions....
  • Commented on Final Blog!
    This was interesting! I think that correlation vs. causation is a very interesting topic to discuss. This is a very noteworthy topic because it has made me think whether ones thing is the cause of others....
  • Posted Conditioned Responses to Wednesday Wanderings
    When I look back on this class in five years, I will have many thoughts and feelings about what i learned, but the one concept that will stick in my mind is how we learn. I remember reading the chapter...
  • Commented on Lying
    Actually, I'm not surprised at all that people can tell what lies are only 55% of the time. I think people overestimate their abilities in reading other people's body language and their words when determining if what they say is...
  • Commented on the thing about gay marriage is...
    I enjoyed reading this blog quite a bit. You said your opinions very well in a very direct way. I also agree with you that not letting homosexuals get married is wrong because it's preventing them from having a right...
  • Commented on The Paris Syndrome
    I think that this has to do with people having certain expectations for places, and the disappointment when the places aren't what they're expected to be. What I wonder however, is if people experience this in cities other than Paris....
  • Posted What influences our IQ to Wednesday Wanderings
    Think about in television shows and movies where there is an impoverished kid who accomplishes great things. There characters are portrayed as inspirations because they are not supposed to contain high intelligences because of their unfortunate situations. However, is socioeconomic...
  • Commented on Children and objects
    I was surprised when I found out that when young children can't see things, they don't believe they are hidden. I just thought that little kids were stupid. I was even more surprised with the water experiment that they did...
  • Commented on Polygraph Tests- Can we trust them?
    I feel that polygraph tests aren't reliable enough for them to be used in convicting criminals. They don't tell if someone lies, they just see if there is a changes in blood pressure, and one can alter results by doing...
  • Commented on Authoritarian-ative is ok right?
    I definitely feel that each parenting style gives varying degrees of success for different types of children. I would say that the authoritative parenting would be the most effective because it puts children in line, but thy also are forgiving...
  • Commented on Aggression in Children
    I really liked this entry. I'm surprised to read that violent crime rates are decreasing because the media makes it seem like they are going up. I agree with you that violent video games and television programs are the main...
  • Commented on The Studious Life of a Polyglot
    That video was really surprising, I didn't know how much time polyglots spend reading and writing all these languages They are very dedicated to language and I'm shocked anybody would have the time and interest to do all that....
  • Commented on Alzheimers
    This was an interesting read because even though I've read a lot about Alzheimer's , I don't really know what causes it and why. I was surprised to see that intellectually stimulating activities can reduce risk of acquiring Alzheimer's...
  • Posted Training Animals to Wednesday Wanderings
    One part of psychology that we've all seen constantly is training animals to make them do amazing tricks. They have become an important circuses and shows as animal training has become a million dollar industry. Animal trainers have been...
  • Commented on TeenBuzz: What's the buzz about?
    This was an interesting entry and found it informative on what frequency people older people could hear up to. I've always wondered what was the reason was that older people were not able to hear the higher frequencies. I've noticed...
  • Commented on Sneaky Ring Tones
    I found it interesting that animals like deer have better hearing than humans. I would never expect a deer to be able to hear from 150 yards away. I guess that deer need to be able to have ears that...
  • Commented on Homosexuality: Nature vs. Nurture
    I think that this was a very interesting blog to read. What I was most surprised me the most while reading it was that a homosexual male tend to have a hypothalamus twice as large as their heterosexual counterparts. I...
  • Commented on Born this way?
    I found that this blog was interesting to read because it questioned the role of nurture and nature in intelligence. I've always held the belief that genetics play a large role in intelligence, but other factors like hard work and...
  • Posted Chapter 10: Human Development to Wednesday Wanderings
    This chapter goes into what has an influence on children in terms of development later on in life. All of these studies and subsequent theories are grouped into a type of psychology called developmental psychology. A big component on...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from joh09532

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page