jaspe087

• Posted Classic and Operant Conditioning to Wednesday Wanderings
    Years from now the thing I will remember most from taking psychology is classic and operant conditioning. While the tests required a lot of pointless memorization of definitions and knowing what research belonged to which psychologist, the ideas of conditioning...
  • Commented on Lying
    Polygraph tests also have reliability problems in the fact that they rely on accurate "control" question results. If a person's responses to the control question are misinterpreted that messes up the entire test....
  • Commented on Is Sugar Bad For You?
    It would be interesting to determine whether sugar or aspartame (the sugar substitute used in diet drinks) is worse for your health. I guess there's some evidence that shows diet drinks are worse for people in the long run due...
  • Commented on Which Sibling is the Best?
    I kind of disagree because there could be a correlation vs. causation problem in this theory....
  • Posted Gender Testing in Sports to Wednesday Wanderings
    Caster Semenya, a South African middle distance runner, won the World Championship in the 800m run in 2009. Following the championship, Semenya was required to undergo gender testing. Tests showed that Semenya has no ovaries or uterus, and has internal...
  • Commented on Aggression in Children
    I also agree with the post and all the above comments. Blaming violence on video games and the like has gotten to be nothing more than a lazy talking point....
  • Commented on Authoritarian-ative is ok right?
    I find this very similar to the theory that birth order determines what a person's personality will end up as. In both of these situations it seems as if there may be a correlation vs. causation problem that's unaccounted for....
  • Commented on Emotional Darwin
    I remember hearing somewhere that in some countries, nodding your head yes actually means no in that culture while shaking your head no means yes. Because of these differences it would be a good idea to learn the customs of...
  • Commented on Polygraph Tests- Can we trust them?
    I also agree, but it should also be taken into consideration that guilty people can still lie and pass the polygraph test. This is possible by causing the readings to match what a normal lie would look like when they...
  • Commented on The Studious Life of a Polyglot
    Well that was eye opening. I always just figured polyglots were simply gifted in understanding language and didn't have to work excessively hard to maintain their comprehension. My only question is how does this guy support himself when he spends...
  • Commented on Being tricked by your own brain!?
    I've found that people sometimes have more accurate types of long term memory and are less accurate on the other types. For example, I seem to have a poor episodic memory compared to my friends but a better semantic memory....
  • Commented on How Does This Ad Work? The Rick Perry Edition
    I disagree with the fact that the ad is supposed to be false. The elections are still in the primaries so Perry is only trying to get votes from the Republican base. This ad is not targeted at a general...
  • Commented on Imagine Taking as Much Shit As Your Car
    The idea of a person representing a car wouldn't really draw me in to getting a car wash. What did draw me in though was throwing the word "shit" in the mix. It made me read the rest of the...
  • Posted The Asperger's Controversy to Wednesday Wanderings
    Asperger's Syndrome is an Autism Spectrum Disorder that is characterized by normal language and intelligence skills, but poor social skills. The DSM IV, published in 1994, has Asperger's Syndrome as a separate diagnosis that High Functioning Autism. The controversy surrounding...
  • Commented on Super Human Senses
    This explains why my dog sometimes barks at absolutely nothing. I always assumed he was just dumbass, but this makes sense that he is hearing things that are beyond my physical capacity to perceive. I find this very interesting/a little...
  • Commented on Tricky Perception!!!
    While I was using Stumbleupon.com as a means of procrastination, I found a page that showed the logo for Formula 1 Racing. Here's what the logo looks like: http://www.famouslogos.us/images/f1-logo.jpg I had always assumed that the "1" was supposed to be...
  • Commented on Free Will-Determinism
    I like how this question spans different disciplines such as psychology, philosophy, and even theoretical physics. I don't think there we ever be an absolute answer to this question....
  • Commented on CAFFEINE!!! Is it good of bad for you?
    I like the objectiveness and how you didn't take one side or the other. That's good because there is always new studies coming out that keep flipping on whether or not coffee is good or bad. For example, there was...
  • Posted Chapter 9: Intelligence and IQ Testing to Wednesday Wanderings
    The chapter starts by giving an overview on how intelligence has been defined over the years. First it was thought to be only a sensory capacity, then merely abstract thinking. The most current idea is that we each possess varying...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from jaspe087

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page