perre066

• Commented on Final Blog: Free Will
    Right, I think you're missing the point. I simply mean to listen to our instinctive responses...not act on them immediately. I think it's important to listen to the "reflexive responses" as the beginning of a process. Not to entirely shape...
  • Commented on The BRAIN!
    The brain is so complex, it is nice having a diagram like this to show the different areas and functions. One could spend a lifetime trying to unravel the mysteries in the brain and still only complete a small section....
  • Commented on Final Blog!
    I definitely thought this was really cool also. Knowing how to memorize things better is essential for me because I have a terrible memory. This chapter should make things a lot easier for me....
  • Posted Final Blog: Free Will to Wednesday Wanderings
    In five years from now, I'd like to still remember that everything that I do is not exactly the result of my choice. There are a lot of reasons my body and brain connect me to my choices, that I'll...
  • Commented on The Bystander Effect
    This seems terrible, but the fact we feel less responsible seems logical. I feel like people in general are happy to pass off any responsibility they can to another. Whether its a midnight shift, a problem with their car, or...
  • Commented on Birth Order
    Interesting post. I had an anthropology professor who wrote his dissertation on birth order of chimpanzees. He noticed how parents treat their first born child differently from later born children. First born children usually receive more attention, security, and discipline...
  • Commented on Do you agree with Freud Sigmund?
    I'm with shaff133. There is a lot going on in our heads that cannot be explained. To be frank, we might be insulting our intelligence by laying the results of statistics and modern technology to explain something as complex as...
  • Commented on Trait Troubles
    Good post. I'd have to say nothing is purely objective, all the way down to heart of these scientific tests. I'll probably get criticism for saying this, but science has limitations. It takes objective measures of things that can be...
  • Commented on Is Sugar Bad For You?
    I actually laughed reading this. Pointing out logical fallacies and other errors in media is always a good time. I used to work at a GNC and this was a common question for me. I'd always respond, go a day...
  • Commented on Body Image
    It's strange how being "in shape" is a process not a product. Since media has been portraying diamond-hard abs, tanned skin,...
  • Commented on the thing about gay marriage is...
    Completely agree. Bible hates homosexuality, however, our government isn't grounded by Christianity. All arguments against gay marriage are fallacious and built by propaganda. In order for our country to be more humanitarian, it needs to focus on all man-kind, not...
  • Commented on What influences our IQ
    I agree with rzent003, experience and biology affect intelligence. Aside from the obvious lack of good food, there is also a lack of other things to build experience. I'm sure these children were increasing their knowledge in some area, just...
  • Commented on Similarities > Differences
    Good post. Haven't watched the show, but I'm sure I'd agree with your thoughts if I had. Regarding to wille360, I'd agree that intellect similarity is important in relationships. However, I don't think an intellectually challenging relationship sounds very fun...honestly,...
  • Commented on The Art of Intimate Relationships
    zind0018 - Fisher used long-term in one example from the age of 13 to 21 still continuing the usage. For short-term I would imagine its for less than a year to recover from depression or a traumatic experience....
  • Commented on Imprinting Isn't Just For the Werewolves...
    I think it is funny how the goslings just follow any large moving object. It makes sense though, if thinking in evolutionary concept. Goslings who followed a large moving creature capable of protection would have been safer than others assuming...
  • Commented on Morality? I don't need no stinkin' morality!
    kinc0027 - When writing my comment I didn't really clarify what how I meant the connection between universal and subjective morality. I meant to express the subjective differences, but also say that to some small degree some things are universally...
  • Commented on Polygraph Tests- Can we trust them?
    Good point. Not only is the machine occasionally incorrect, just giving the test can give a bias conclusion. For example, if someone is on trial but fails a lie detector test, how is one supposed to convince a jury of...
  • Commented on Emotional Darwin
    It is interesting how universal some emotions even though we might show our emotions in different ways. I think it is funny how chimpanzees use social displays just like we do. They might not be the exact same but the...
  • Posted The Art of Intimate Relationships to Wednesday Wanderings
    I found information by an Anthropologist names Helen Fisher who spent the last 30 years researching love and intimate relationships. Her findings suggest the evolutionary background for love of another starts with a drive to feed ones sexual appetite, then...
  • Commented on Aggression in Children
    Awesome topic. I think violent behavior and video games have blown completely out of proportion. People don't recognize that aggressiveness is measured in these studies, not violence and one does not automatically lead to the other. Just like the analogy...
  • Commented on Pinocchio Response
    Interesting post. I think it would be awesome if we could detect lies, but then again maybe some things are best left to be undetermined. I remember some study on the news said after lying people look in a certain...
    Profound post. Morality is an incredibly interesting concept to me. I like your last sentence "[...] moral enlightenment comes when one can truly look at a situation through every involved party's perspectives [...]. This idea is shared by a philosophical...
  • Commented on Alzheimers
    This is a touching post. My grandparents also were facing issues like this. For awhile my 92 year old grandpa thought I was his 96 year old brother Paul. It wasn't sad because he did tell me some funny stuff...
  • Commented on Being tricked by your own brain!?
    One thing I find really interesting when it comes to recollection is how we change stories a little everytime we tell of a memory. I don't have a link to any specific to support this, but in one of my...
  • Commented on Animal training
    I like the picture you put up. Awesome video also, that is one well trained animal. I'd like to know to how far can you go teaching people using this method? Also, I think colleges should rethink their teaching methods,...
  • Commented on Clickers
    I agree with J (above). Clickers work well, but so does any consistent sound one can connect with a well-done task. In the gym instructor's case a clicker is consistent, but also a little demeaning implying that another person's child...
  • Posted Free Will and Determinism to Wednesday Wanderings
    In our text, we are presented with an age old debate - free will v. determinism. This concept is built upon the discovery of our unconscious choices determining our conscious ones. One simple explanation is if I were to put...
  • Commented on Homosexuality: Nature vs. Nurture
    I remember asking about this very idea in an Anthropology of Human Nature course and my professors response seemed to match most of the information you've provided. I'm glad genetics can answer questions like these. Hopefully, GLBTQ rights grow given...
  • Commented on Free Will-Determinism
    Cool post! I'd have to agree that societies influences should not be an excuse for making questionable decisions, but some could be acceptable at a lesser extent. However, I think the societal framework of our decisions making processes are the...
  • Posted Chapter 11: Emotion and Motivation to Wednesday Wanderings
    Chapter 11 explores our emotions and motivations. Emotions being the reactions we have to stimuli and motivation being the driving force behind our actions. Emotional reactions are categorized into areas such as primary emotions, secondary emotions, conscious emotions, unconscious emotions,...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from perre066

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page