vishn010

• Posted The Finale- Correlation vs. Causation to Wednesday Wanderings
    I think the main thing that I will remember five years from now that we have learned in psychology is the difference between correlation and causation. Many newspapers and other sources often get these confused and use them interchangeably. This...
  • Commented on Body Image
    One issue is that people think that if they need to lose weight, they should just stop eating. And if they want to lose 40 pounds, they need to lose it all in a day. But this is from the...
  • Commented on Trait Troubles
    I think the problem is when people do individual trait tests and their scores show they are not extroverted and then they think it's a bad thing that they are not super outgoing or something. It isn't a bad thing,...
  • Commented on Lying
    It is weird to think that we pretty much have the same odds of guessing if someone is lying or not. It would help so much to know when someone is lying in our every day life, and with our...
  • Commented on Do you agree with Freud Sigmund?
    I think Freud overemphasized the role of sex and reproduction in our motives. However, it relatively makes sense through evolution as reproducing is absolutely vital for us to survive....
  • Commented on Gender Testing in Sports
    I remember this reading about this during the last Olympics and it is also seen in women's sports, especially in the case of Brittney Griner, basketball player for Baylor. Everywhere she plays, they chant about her being a boy, except...
  • Commented on Which Sibling is the Best?
    I have an older sister and we argue about this pretty much daily as she got better grades, but I got the better scores on standardized tests such as the ACT. The difference in findings probably change due to the...
  • Commented on What's With This IAT Test?
    I actually did one of these tests for a REP study earlier this year. It was about race and words such as good or violent. It was really interesting but unfortunately I didn't find out my results which I am...
  • Commented on The Bystander Effect
    This is especially seen in crime shows and movies where the cops/detectives are shocked when they hear that so many people heard the screams, saw the crime, etc. but didn't do anything. It was interesting to learn why this actually...
  • Commented on Emotions and Bombs
    This is an interesting story that I haven't heard of before and it is a good argument. But I also believe that they go hand-in-hand and influence each other like the poster above mentioned. Thanks for sharing the story....
  • Commented on Emotional Darwin
    I wonder how these different expressions mean different things in different cultures. Like how the differences in meaning started....
  • Commented on Children and objects
    It sounds so dumb to us that if children can't see something, they think it is nonexistent. That's why it would be interesting to have the mind of a child for a day or so and see exactly how different...
  • Commented on Girls are Bad at Math. How Studies with this Conclusion May be Methodologically Flawed.
    I don't have the stats to back me up, but I have some friends that are in CSE and they always comment on how the number of females in the college are pretty much nonexistent. I wonder if it is...
  • Commented on The Art of Intimate Relationships
    That's really interesting that there have been studies that shows that we can be passionately in love with multiple people at once. I am curious as to how they figured this out but I found that really interesting!...
  • Commented on The Paris Syndrome
    I have been to France and Paris a few times before and I think this is just part of the French culture. More so in Paris then other cities. They don't really like tourists or people who aren't like them...
  • Commented on Similarities > Differences
    It is interesting that so many people meet in the workplace, but almost every workplace frowns upon, or even prohibits, relationships in the workplace. It makes sense though as if they get in a fight, it can really hurt the...
  • Commented on What influences our IQ
    I would be surprised if nutrition and socioeconomic status don't affect a person's IQ as their standard of living is improved if those two are better, and I would think that would lead to a higher IQ....
  • Posted Polygraph Tests- Can we trust them? to Wednesday Wanderings
    Polygraphs tests, or commonly known as a "lie detector" test, are often seen used in movies, television shows, and in real life. This produces the misconception that this test is a foolproof method to see if someone is lying. This...
  • Commented on My 3 year old nephew, Jace.
    That's sweet that you actually did the experiment and it worked. It is one thing to read about it in a textbook, but it's a lot more interesting when you experience it yourself....
  • Commented on Training Animals
    I have always thought that the animal trainers have some superpower or something; however, after learning this, it is interesting to know that pretty much any average Joe could be an animal trainer. Maybe that's a future career path calling...
  • Commented on Polly Want A Cracker?
    Very interesting post. Although it is just repetition, I still find it really cool that they can repeat the sounds we make so well. Very impressive either way....
  • Commented on TeenBuzz: What's the buzz about?
    I haven't heard anyone with this ringtone since like freshman year of high school so it doesn't seem like it is really popular. But I couldn't hear the last one either so don't worry about it!...
    Yeah, it will be interesting to see how this will change with the huge effects of increased headphones usage, concerts, etc. I am sure our ears will be much worse when we are older compared to the elderly today....
  • Posted TeenBuzz: What's the buzz about? to Wednesday Wanderings
    We have all had that moment in school where a student's phone starts ringing in class. It keeps going for a while but the teacher keeps lecturing. How is that not distracting to the lecturer? Well, it is because the...
  • Commented on Homosexuality: Nature vs. Nurture
    This is just another huge part in the nature/nurture debate. It is really interesting to read about how heterosexual males have larger hypothalamuses than homosexuals. I wonder if thats causation though or why the effect is. Interesting to see what...
  • Commented on Yoga, the invisible killer?
    The few times I have done yoga, the instructors would always say "Listen to your body." I never really understood that completely until reading this. Nice post!...
  • Posted Chapter 2 to Wednesday Wanderings
    One of the main thing this chapter talks about is the importance about research design. If an experiment isn't properly designed and administrated, it may not lead to conclusive and accurate results, and can actually lead to very harmful procedures...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from vishn010

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page