annis024

• Commented on The More, The Merrier
    My father was an alcoholic and from what hes told me of AA, it seems that along with the support from other members, it was the dramatic situations and stories of the more severe alcoholics int he group. I still...
  • Commented on DS Memory - Caffeine
    Could it be possible that the caffeine given to rats in that study yielded some type of state dependent learning? I wonder if they were given caffeine prior to the testing of their memory, which would skew the experiment. Also...
  • Commented on Way to Happiness
    What I think was the downside of positive psychology was that some people function better as pessimists, and to take that away from them by being positive in their lives actually decreases their functioning and problem solving. Since they are...
  • Commented on Freudian approach to Homophobia
    I feel that this illustrates a reaction formation perfectly. They lack control over their own sexual desires, so to compensate for this, they actively refuse or even accept the issue. The same could be said about a gay priest who...
  • Commented on Budweiser Advertisement Analysis
    I wonder how much advertisements like these actually effect people on the specific product. You talked of the entire alcohol industry doing similar advertising strategies, so in accordance with a common UCS being less effective then a unique one, wouldn't...
  • Commented on Which lineup is better?
    Regardless of how they decide on this issue, I just hope the outcome results in fewer wrongful incarcerations. I could not imagine a worser fate then spending the rest of your life rotting away in jail for something you didn't...
  • Posted Nature vs Nurture in a social setting. Oh and some visual illusions. to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    Yesterday i was thinking as i walked back from class about just how much of my personality came directly because of my genetics. More specifically I pondered how can my musical tastes be determined by chemicals in the brain. Does...
  • Commented on Alcohol vs. Food
    This would be a very interesting precedent, however despite me trying to argue this, all i can find are similarities between the two. Alcohol causes upfront problems as well as long term damage. Overeating at McDonalds will cause you to...
  • Commented on Kitty or Tiger?
    It's interesting to see your native viewpoint on the subject. Do you feel that authoritarian parenting styles yield better results in children's success as well as obedience to elders then the style you received growing up? I also find it...
  • Commented on Personality is forever...
    The values that make us unique are actually shared and very similar between everyone. This was very interesting to me, as personality is such a hard thing to quantify, and compare....
  • Posted Remembering how I Remembered What I Remembered to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    Please pardon my title, and I'm sorry if you were forced to read it more then once. If you did you might have even encoded it into your memory, for which I am also sorry took up your valuable cranial...
  • Commented on "Oh, my, God. Becky, look at her butt."
    Maybe if you people watched a bit more quietly these poor passerbys wouldn't know they were being judged. Im just curious as to whether the amount of "you should be like this" messages are passive or active. As in "Get...
  • Commented on Famous IQ's
    That might provide a valid explanation on why George Washington got stuck on the 1 dollar bill. But as far as presidents go, the most valuable trait i believe is interpersonal skills, not raw IQ. The cabinet exists to provide...
  • Commented on Homosexuals; should they be allowed to donate blood?
    I feel this is the remnant of the notion that homosexuals were the original spreaders of the HIV virus. Whether that is even true in the first place is beyond me, however it is a common rumor that has unfortunately...
  • Posted And Let There Be Light! Ho Ho Ho to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    It was late November, before Thanksgiving, and I was preparing my dorm room for the coming holiday season. Mariah Carrey was softly singing what she wanted for Christmas, the heat was cranked up to eleven, and my cup of...
  • Commented on Sorry, I don't speak English.
    A lot of studies have shown that children who learn more then one language at an early age develop higher levels of cognitive ability. Besides the possible intelectual gains, its very useful for a child to know more then one...
  • Commented on What happens when we go to sleep?
    Its amazing to think that all these connections can create such complex thought objects like guilt and how a engine works. This kind of clears up why dream thought is so chaotic, but i still find it mind boggling. Pun...
  • Commented on Chapter 5: Lucid Dreaming
    Even when we realize things in dreams are obviously not real, the very nature of the dream distracts us from the rest. For example in the water breathing dream you may have known you couldn't breath underwater, but you may...
  • Commented on When are we aware that we are self aware?
    Thinking about the concept of me thinking invariably ends up with giving me a headache. This is another one of those unanswerable questions that always ends up coming into discussion on nights spent looking up at the stars in summer....
  • Commented on TURN THAT OFF!
    I actually remember having the same thing happen to me when i was a little kid. Those old tube TV's would just shriek the highest pitch sounds, that only my 5 year old delicate ears could hear. However in regards...
  • Commented on Is this the first time you've seen this?
    Whether Deja Vu actually has any footings in the paranormal or not, i have had some odd experiences. One christmas when i was 12 my grandma was opening a present and i leaned over to my cousin and "predicted" exactly...
  • Commented on Oh my, what a big hippocampus you have.
    It strange to think of our brains structure actually changing in response to our learning. I wonder what structure would change if someone learned how to play guitar, or a new language. Comparing these various structure changes would be an...
  • Posted Hey nice bracelet. Can you really jump higher? to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    http://news.discovery.com/human/power-balance-maker-admits-bands-are-worthless.html Ive had way too many people slap their sweaty power balance bracelets on me and prove to me how much more flexible i am. The idea of hologram energy enhancement is fun and all, but it doesn't take a...
  • Commented on Blog Entry #1 - Chapter 6
    yes yes indeed. Quite interesting if do say so myself. However some of the nicest people i know have been raised in negative environments....
  • Posted Blog one Chapter one: Science, why you dont think you have an accent, and upside down Barack Obama. to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    Im sure most of you if not all of you have heard of the scientific method before, but what surprised me about this course and psychology in general was how empirical it actually can be. I was always under the...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from annis024