inofe001

• Posted DS Make-Up: Psychological Treatments to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    When reading the final chapter in the textbook on psychological treatments, I came to find out that not all psychotherapists are actual licensed professionals. This brought me back to an episode of HBO's Curb Your Enthusiasm, where the main character,...
  • Posted Dealing with Stress to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    When I was was reviewing for the final exam, I came upon the chapter about stress. I read this chapter with great interest, because lately I feel extremely stressed in my everyday life. I learned that everyone deals with stress...
  • Commented on Abnormal is normal
    I also found the abnormal psychology section very interesting. I found a lot of my prior beliefs about psychological disorders to be false. Now I feel after taking this course that I can better understand people with psychological disorders, and...
  • Commented on Operant Conditioning to Make My Future Students Successful
    I wish I would of had someone like you as my math teacher when I was younger; maybe then I wouldn't have grown to resent math so much. But I do believe that this Psychology course has most likely been...
  • Commented on Everyone is different
    Interesting post, I also thought about the same topic for my wrap-up blog. The class discussion was one of my favorite, it was interesting to see how everybody split up into personality types. But it is also interesting to think...
  • Commented on A World of Grays
    I definitely agree with your entry. There certainly are no certainties in life, but this course has equipped us with thinking skills that help us weed out false or extraordinary claims. If we take the time to give things that...
  • Commented on The Importance of Understanding Personality
    I believe that this course has equipped all of us with tool to help us better understand and interact with other people. We are able to look at our current relationships, and now have ways to improve them. As long...
  • Commented on The Powers of Persuasion
    I also find myself as a persuasive person when I need to be. It is crazy to think about how easily companies who look for donations are able to manipulate consumers. Many companies advertise their sales in deceiving ways. For...
  • Commented on Altruism: Inherent or Learned?
    I think you make a valid point, but I also believe people are capable of helping a distressed person without actually feeling distressed themselves. Many people who volunteer to help the needy come to volunteer in very good and cheery...
  • Commented on Social Facilitation
    I can definitely relate to your post. I worked for a year and a half in a retail clothing store where my job was to help customers and fold clothes. Whenever my manager wasn't in the room I was working...
  • Commented on I Need to Belong
    I have definitely witnessed first hand some peoples need to belong. It seems like every time I am with my group of friends, I can always tell that there is one person who is unhappy with whatever the group is...
  • Commented on IQ testing as a measure of job performance
    I believe that using an IQ test as a tool to help an employer decide whether or not to hire someone should only be used in professions where the IQ of someone is extremely relevant, such as lawyers or doctors....
  • Commented on Pro-Anorexia as a Dieting Method
    I definitely think that the existence of websites such as these which help promote unsafe practices like anorexia can only encourage people to continue to suffer from these unhealthy disorders. People fall victim to a confirmation bias when they come...
  • Commented on When I count to ten, you will bark like a dog
    I admit that I was first skeptical about the effects of hypnosis, but I have actually seen a large group of people that were hypnotized and made to do very odd and unique things. Things that a person with any...
  • Commented on alzheimer's...it happens to the best of us
    In my opinion Alzheimer's is a devastating disease that can completely change a person. To see it happen to a loved one can be one of the most saddening things. I truly hope that we can find a cure for...
  • Commented on Double Trouble
    I went to kindergarten through eighth grade at a Spanish-Immersion school in Minneapolis, and I find myself semi-bilingual, fluent in English and able to comprehend a good deal of Spanish. Every time I was in Spanish class, pictures helped me...
  • Commented on Erasing Memories: Is it possible?
    We all have memories we wish we could forget. But I also believe these memories help shape us into the person we are today. I do think the procedure to erase memories is ethical, however, only in a case where...
  • Commented on otnemeM
    First off, very creative title! I first watched this movie with my dad when I was very young, and while I didn't understand it, I found it very entertaining. I watched it again as a senior in high school, was...
  • Commented on Chapter 5
    I also believe that hallucinations are not as uncommon as made out to be. Just last night, I thought I saw the figure of a face in one of the pillows at the end of my bed. I knew it...
  • Commented on Research Methods - Cognitive Biases
    I found your post very enjoyable. It is not hard to find cognitive biases in our everyday lives. People love to point out problems and love to offer their opinions on how they would have solved them. They are called...
  • Commented on Coping with Stress in College
    You are very right, everyone deals with stress in a different way. With me, when I know that I am going to have a lot of things to do in a short amount of time, I like to structure how...
  • Commented on Blog #1 Psychological Disorders- Have We Really Come All That Far?
    I enjoyed reading your post, I thought you had a very thoughtful opinion on the topic. And I also agree with what you have to say. Over the course of time, our treatment of those who appear different from us...
  • Commented on My eyes did not tell the whole story
    This is a very interesting post. I often find times where my eyes deceive me. Sometimes I am looking down while walking, and all of a sudden I'll stumble on the ground itself! Embarrassing, I know, but I believe my...
  • Posted What I'll Remember to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    I have learned so many things throughout this Psychology course. However, just like any other semester-long course, it is impossible for me to retain all of that knowledge. While many things will slip from my memory, I know there will...
  • Posted Week 12 - Personality (Make-up) to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    I decided to research further whether birth order within a family actually has effect on personality or behavior. It has long been believed that the first born in a family tend to achieve more, middle borns tend towards diplomacy,...
  • Posted Chapter 11 - Intelligence to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    When I visited the website reportermag.com and read the article "Beauty in Different Cultures", I learned that every culture finds beauty in very different forms. According to our textbook, our culture correlates averageness to attractiveness. That is, we find...
  • Posted The Culture of American Business: Jumping the Gun! to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    Business theorists have found that Western managers are more inclined to rush to decisions compared to managers from Eastern cultures. I believe that the differences in the Western managers can partly be attributed to the way our media sources...
  • Posted The Existence of Lobotomy in Society to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    One thing I found truly compelling from the textbook was from Chapter 2, when prefrontal lobotomies were discussed. A lobotomy was long considered the solution for many severe mental disorders. Before this class, I had been exposed to lobotomies (or...
  • Posted Chapter 13 - Social Psychology to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    Chapter 13 covers the topic of social psychology, or how people affect the actions of others. What I found most interesting was that recent studies show that brainstorming in a group setting is much less effective than brainstorming alone. We...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from inofe001