joh09419

• Commented on Can certain pills improve our memories?
    It might be an issue of placebo. The person taking the ginkgo thinks that it will improved their memory, making them pay more attention to what they need and thus are better at encoding it into long term memory. In...
  • Commented on Operant Conditioning to Make My Future Students Successful
    Way back when I was a third grader, my teacher would reward us with candy and not just for academic things, but also for things like sitting down quietly, raising our hand, or helping someone else. This motivated us, and...
  • Commented on Inattentional Blindness
    I observed inattention blindness just earlier today. I was riding in the car with my mom and the windshield wipers were going. It had stopped raining a good twenty minutes before, and although we were looking out the windshield we...
  • Commented on Social Loafing
    In high school, my classmates would always beg to do group tests, thinking that we could pool all our information and there was always bound to be someone who knew the answer to whatever question. But considering social loafing and...
  • Commented on REM sleep: CON DS make-up
    It would be interesting to see how REM sleep works with someone's circadian rhythm. I know that for those who work night shifts, they often have fatigue because sleeping during the daytime hours goes against the circadian rhythm often set...
  • Commented on The Ability to Cope With Stress
    Stress seems to be an issue that has more recently come into the public eye as a health issue. For me, when I am super stressed, I journal. It helps me write down what is going on, and then concentrate...
  • Commented on Abnormal is normal
    I totally agree about how the abnormal psychology section was incredibly interesting in terms of what you can see in those around. For an example, my grandma has been diagnosed with depression, and after learning about it in class I...
  • Commented on Game show winners are not as smart as we think
    This is an interesting thought. I agree that just because someone knows a lot of random facts does not necessarily mean that they would have intelligence on all levels. They may score very low on practical intelligence. On the flip...
  • Commented on Alcohol vs. Food
    This is such an interesting topic that I never thought of. One reason the public might be so freaked out about people under 21 drinking is that over consumption could cause even greater problems with judgment because the pre-fronal cortex,...
  • Commented on Memory
    Memories are amazing! Something else that is interesting about memories is how sometimes the slightest thing like an object, a smell, or a sound can trigger a memory. Walking around campus recently and smelling all the lilacs triggers a memory...
  • Posted Psych + nursing = <3 to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    I think that in five years, one thing from psychology that will be applied often and remembered will be Maslow's hierarchy of needs. In five years, I will hopefully have by BSN and working as an RN. According to...
  • Commented on The best parenting styles
    I agree that parental influence does not directly influence personality, but it does seem to have an effect on values. I would place my parents in the authoritative group, they give instruction and advice, but ultimately give my siblings and...
  • Posted Does your face or brain say you are lying? to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    I have watched the show "Lie to Me", and have found it really interesting. The book talked about its basis in Paul Ekman's work and its inaccuracies. The basis is the idea of body language and micro-expressions. I personally am...
  • Commented on And Let There Be Light! Ho Ho Ho
    This was a very entertaining and interesting. Defeating functional fixedness seems to be easier for some people than others. For example, I was on a trip with my high school class over the summer, and my friends and I accidently...
  • Commented on The Culture of American Business: Jumping the Gun!
    This is interesting. I feel like the reason people often make decisions quickly when someone is trying to get them to do something is probably a nature of people pleasing. People want to be liked and make others happy, so...
  • Commented on Different Perceptions of Time
    This is really interesting! Last summer, I was able to go on a trip to Puerto Rico. My group was supposed to catch a ride to a different part of the island, but some of the group was running late....
  • Commented on Sorry, I don't speak English.
    This is interesting! I have heard that it is easier for younger children to pick up extra languages. I know a three year old who knows English, Chinese, and ASL. She is at a point where she doesn't always know...
  • Commented on Is this a dream?
    Dreaming has always fascinated me, how you can seem to create a whole story and situation while not fully knowing what you are doing. In the book it talked about how people in hypnotic acts are most often trying to...
  • Commented on Is this the first time you've seen this?
    Deja Vu is a very strange phenomena. Sometimes, it might feel like a new conversation or place, but then later you see or hear something that reminds you that you actually have been there before. Sometimes, you have not been...
  • Commented on Is It Really Your Decision?
    This is very interesting. In the case of criminal activity, one main difference would be its ethical questioning and the effect of one's conscience. You could think of your conscience as part of the unconscious since it appears to be...
  • Posted Painting of a painting- depth perception illusion to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    http://www.artsmia.org/viewer/detail.php?v=12&id=1670 This painting by Rene Magritte, displays illusions of depth perception. When you first see it you probably think you are just looking out the window and see two pinnacles and some houses. Then you look closer and next...
  • Commented on Acetycholine- finding a cure to Alzheimer's?
    According to the Mayo Clinic, these are some possibilities of prevention through: “Avoiding smoking, eating a balanced diet rich in vegetables, fruits and lean protein, particularly protein sources containing omega-3 fatty acids, being physically and socially active, and taking care...
    According to Mayo Clinic, some proposed prevention tips include: "avoid smoking, eat a balanced diet rich in vegetables, fruits and lean protein ( particularly protein sources containing omega-3 fatty acids), be physically and socially active, and taking care of your...
  • Commented on Little Meals, Big Boost?
    I agree that it seems like a lot of people who make statements about this have no evidence and that can confuse people. One piece of evidence that I have heard supporting the beneficial 6 meals theory is if the...
  • Posted Blog #1:THE FIGHT FOR PERSONALITY- Chapter 14 to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    THE FIGHT FOR PERSONALITY Nature versus Nurture In chapter 14 of the Lilienfeld textbook, it discusses personality. What is personality? What determines your personality? How is it measured? And, can you change your personality? These are among the many types...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from joh09419