hasse165

• Posted DS Bio-Make up to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    One thing that I found very interesting in the biological psychology chapter was the story of Phineas Gage and his severed prefrontal cortex. It got me thinking, are there way to reverse these kinds of injuries? And if not, are...
  • Commented on Bridesmaids- the Irish and the American collide.
    This is a really good comparison for the three principles, and I think almost any romantic movie can fit into this description. The only one that comes to the top of my head would be Sleepless in Seattle, where two...
  • Commented on Billy Madison
    Based on other comparisons that I've seen, high extroversion and neurotisism seem to go hand in hand. This also fits the description as the class clown or as in discussion "the entertainers". While this is an easy assumption to make,...
  • Commented on What is love? Baby don't hurt me...
    I think balance is the biggest message from this section of psych, especially in all areas. While it's hard to define every relationship in these guidelines, I thin being more aware of how your relationship should be will make it...
  • Commented on I'll Just Sleep During Class, NBD.
    I also have never really had issues sleeping! I know many people that cannot have caffeine after three, cannot nap for more than an hour, and cannot eat to late without having issues sleeping. While I've had the occasional late...
  • Commented on Pro-Anorexia as a Dieting Method
    I also recently learned about this site after a friend was doing a research paper on media image, and it's amazing the lengths people will go to. I think the images that are projected to us at such a young...
  • Commented on Sparked Interest
    I also find these topics very interesting! It's amazing that even though there are so many differences in culture, personality, and language, the brain still functions the same, no matter the ethnicity. After taking this course I've realized how much...
  • Commented on Way to Happiness
    I wonder if positive psychology can be used as a treatment instead of normal psychological help. I think it's generally known that people who think happy thoughts eventually tend to be happier, and if positive psychology becomes a more popular...
  • Commented on DS Make-up: SOC- Blue v. Brown
    This makes me think a lot about how young children in Germany during WWII were taught about how much better blonde hair and blue eyes are. Without even questioning why, it was known that the children with those traits immediately...
  • Commented on REM sleep: CON DS make-up
    Considering so many college students are sleep deprived, REM rebound is a necessity for health. I think it would be very interesting though if there were ways to induce REM sleep so that every time you go to bed you...
  • Commented on Mentalists - The Masters of Memory, Sensory, and Perception
    This makes me wonder if there are changes in the brain that cause this heightened sense of awareness, and if there is, potentially there are ways to naturally bring out these changes that would help enhance the intelligence of many!...
  • Commented on The Importance of Understanding Personality
    Using the big 5 has been a great way to get first impressions of people! But I think the important thing to remember is that first impressions do not always reveal the true sides of people, which is why I...
  • Commented on Alcohol vs. Food
    As a nutrition major, I love this. Obesity is such a huge problem in the US, and alcoholism is nothing compared to it. Recently in Louisiana, the government tried to pass a law stating that if you had a BMI...
  • Commented on DS Memory - Caffeine
    As a coffee lover, I think that if there is truth in the study wonderful things could happen! But at the same time, I am still skeptical. I can see how it is possible for caffeine to make the subjects...
  • Commented on Memory
    Since my parents have relived the situation so many times, my sister is convinced she remembers walking for the very first time. Between the pictures and stories, she can explain in perfect detail of how many steps it was, how...
  • Commented on Social Loafing
    I think that at young ages, particularly in elementary school, it is important to do group projects so that we can learn to work together. However, come high school and especially college, group projects should not be a common thing....
  • Commented on Nature Vs. Nurture: A New Light/ Are you a supertaster?
    I think the idea of epigenetics is also very interesting and also a very nice addition to the nature vs. nurture debate. When talking with older adults, it seems that they have their minds completely made up and that it's...
  • Posted Teaching an Old Dog New Tricks to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    One psychological concept that I will always remember is the different forms of conditioning. I found the idea of making something completely neutral into an object that stimulates and automatic response to be extremely interesting and actually relatable to everyday...
  • Commented on Just Your "Average Joe"
    I think that the people doing the hiring unconsciously judge the applicants based on appearance for several reasons. The interviewer may be attracted to them, which could influence their thoughts on the ability of the applicant and how well they...
  • Commented on What Divorce Does to Kids
    Also coming from a family of divorced parents, I completely agree with your opinions. By not involving the child in the divorce process and avoid having them observe arguments can really make a difference on the outcome. But I think...
  • Commented on Beauty: Is it Really in the Eye of the Beholder?
    I think the differences between what cultures find to be "attractive" is very interesting considering that males and females, no matter the culture, were built to do very specific things. It makes sense that women find strong men attractive since...
  • Commented on "Oh, my, God. Becky, look at her butt."
    I find this blog very fitting for the problems that many American women have today. I'm currently doing a research paper on influences of body image, and discovered that over 40% of women with eating disorders are over the age...
  • Posted Homework v. Social and problem solving to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    A key problem that college students face is the distribution of time academically and socially. For me, a really big problem arose when I had to study for three midterms but at the same time a friend of mine was...
  • Posted Acetycholine- finding a cure to Alzheimer's? to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    In chapter 3, one key topic that struck me was learning about acetylcholine. Acetylcholine is a neurotransmitter that plays a role in arousal, selective attention, sleep, and memory. When someone has Alzheimer's disease, these transmitters are getting destroyed. They have...
  • Posted Blog 1- chaper 13 to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    Chapter 13 is all about social psychology, which is the study of how people influence others' behaviors, beliefs, and attitudes-for both good and bad. For the most part, others have positive influences over us. But one idea that was introduced...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from hasse165