joh09320

• Commented on Operant Conditioning to Make My Future Students Successful
    I like how you are thinking of how to apply what you learned in Psychology to your real life. I think this shows just how applicable Psychology is and how we can apply many things from this course into our...
  • Commented on Can certain pills improve our memories?
    This post also reminded me of "Limitless" with Bradley Cooper. People should realize that with no science that supports the claim of these pills improving memory, then why use them? Until something is proven to make you smart (like the...
  • Commented on Pro-Anorexia as a Dieting Method
    This is very interesting, I too had no idea that such sites existed. These types of things are just encouraging anorexics to continue living unhealthy lives. I bet it is frustrating when family/friends are trying to help someone suffering from...
  • Posted What I Will Take With Me to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    We have learned so much through the semester, when asked what I would I remember five years from now so many things came to mind. I thought about conditioning, development, personalities, and much more. When I really thought about all...
  • Commented on Social Loafing - March 8th
    In general, I do not like group work for this very reason. I find that it is very common that members of the groups slack and don't do their part because they assume other members will make up for it....
  • Commented on Birth Order
    I find birth order very interesting. I am a middle child and my family seems to fit in with many birth order "stereotypes" My older brother (21) is very much a leader, intelligent, and has a lot of pressure from...
  • Commented on Better Symmetry Means Better Orgasms
    I found your post to be very interesting and definitely unique. It actually does make sense with the data you provided that women would orgasm (better chances of reproducing) with men would they would rather have children with. I noticed...
  • Commented on What Divorce Does to Kids
    My parents divorced when I was two, I cannot imagine my parents married because all I have ever known is two homes, and going from week to week at each house. I completely agree with you because my parents took...
  • Commented on Does money buy happiness?
    For the most part I agree with your post, as another commenter said, money does have a small effect on your happiness if you cannot afford to feed and house yourself and your family, but I will agree that after...
  • Commented on Contact Comfort
    I agree that intuitively it makes total sense that the monkey would go to the "terry cloth mother" versus "feeder" which was not warm and comforting. I will admit when I first heard of Harlow's study I thought of how...
  • Commented on Liar Liar
    I always find it fascinating how people (usually I see this on TV) can tell if people lying by honing in on their nonverbal cues. I also find it crazy that people can "outsmart" lie detectors, I have heard that...
  • Commented on Violence and Video Games
    You are making a bold statement. Crime has gone down over the years but there are so many variables that could be effecting that. Your statements make it seem like you are implying that more and more people watch/play violent...
  • Commented on Just a fad?
    It is hard to think that having a positive outlook on life could be a negative, although I do see where you are coming from when you say it could cause delusion, but that seems to me as an extreme...
  • Commented on "Oh, my, God. Becky, look at her butt."
    I suppose you can be genetically more likely to have an eating disorder but I will agree that it is largely our society and media that plays a huge part. You were right on when you mentioned how harsh people...
  • Posted It's all about me to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    One of the topics I found most fascinating from this weeks lectures was egocentrism in children. Some of the videos we viewed in class were quite shocking, for example when the little girl seemed to follow the story of the...
  • Commented on Erasing Memories: Is it possible?
    I do think that taking a drug to "forget" bad memories is a poor idea in general. I think this because memories (bad and good) are part of who we are and how we became who we are. Everything that...
  • Commented on Sorry, I don't speak English.
    I am very impressed with people who are bilingual, I took three years of spanish in high school but I would not consider myself anywhere near fluent. Your statement about people believing that children may be confused while learning two...
  • Commented on Got Sleep?
    I found this post and the articles very interesting, and I am some what convinced that you could train your body to adjust and feel just fine with that sleeping schedule. However, I would agree that you need to be...
  • Commented on Get Fit, Don't Quit
    I will definitely agree that it will be of great benefit for Gatorade to show their advertisements with "regular joes" doing their workout and feeling accomplished then how you put it, "professional athletes in their intense workout situations". Viewers can...
  • Commented on Correlation
    We all know now that "correlation does not mean causation" but I can understand why most people in society don't realize that. It can be easy to assume causation relationships from correlation. Perhaps if you see a correlation between weather...
  • Commented on Raising a Child Gender-Neutrally: Can it work?
    Raising a child gender-nuetral seems very odd to me, I understand that they want their child to be who they are and express that but being identified as a certain gender should not stop the child's freedom to express themselves....
  • Commented on Little Meals, Big Boost?
    I would agree that the claims are bold without much actual evidence. They would need to study the effect of six meals vs. three much more to say that it will improve your metabolism. I think it could work though,...
  • Posted Oh my, what a big hippocampus you have. to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    A concept from biological psychology that I found particularly interesting was the case of London taxi-drivers and the size of their hippocampi versus non taxi-drivers. The hippocampus is the part of the brain that plays a role in consolidation of...
  • Posted Blog 1:Chapter 1 to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    In chapter one, the authors discuss the importance of scientific thinking and how important it is to distinguish fact from fiction. Admittedly they say that it is not always as clear cut as you would believe. Many things we perceive...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from joh09320