redi0069

• Posted Inattentional Blindness to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    Our body can't pick up outside signals in their pure form but it must receive these signals (perception), encode the external stimulus into an electrical signal (transduction), and finally the brain must interpret the signal. So surprise, surprise, we may...
  • Posted Blog #4: Safety in Small Groups to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    A fascinating part of psychology is the idea that safety in numbers is just a myth. I was astounded to learn that it doesn't help to have more people near you in the scene of an accident. Three factors transforming...
  • Commented on Easy to change your attitude?
    I feel like the attitudes of many people are shaped by their perception of the environment. When someone begins to realize that the old perception is decidedly wrong, they must somehow change their attitude. One way to do this is...
  • Commented on Altruism: Inherent or Learned?
    I agree with the thought that many seemingly altruistic actions have a self interested motive. In many cases that we are consciously aware of, our motive is merely to try to keep the guilt from overcoming us or to receive...
  • Commented on Social Facilitation
    I really feel this social facilitation at my job at Subway. I would really be able to make some great sandwiches while a lot of people are watching as long as they are simple meat and minimal veggies. As soon...
  • Commented on What Divorce Does to Kids
    I agree with your entry. Parents provide the foundation for a child's developing life and one parent may not have all of the resources to do the job. I think that conflict in the home causes anxiety and also gives...
  • Commented on Famous IQ's
    I found this list very interesting. One thing that I think that we have to be careful about however is the restriction of range. Nearly every person on the list had an IQ above 100. And we have to remember...
  • Commented on Paul Ekman's other study on the universality of facial expressions
    I also find the universal facial expressions test to be amazing. First of all, they had to be pretty creative to even come up with the idea of showing pictures of faces to people in different cultures and finding a...
  • Commented on The best parenting styles
    One thing that I think is important in parenting is the ability of the parent to connect with the child. I come from a larger family and I know that the same method of discipline for one child may make...
  • Commented on Deadly Thin
    I have to say that although I am a male, the same pressure to avoid fatness has affected me. I believe that it has to do with my perfectionist nature and the belief that I just can't be fat at...
  • Commented on A Motherly Touch
    I have also experienced the power of my mother's touch. A simple example for me is my mother running her fingers through my hair while I sit in front of her. This feels so good and yet it seems to...
  • Commented on Lawrence Kohlberg's Criticisms
    I found Kohlberg's work interesting as well. The idea is great but I think that it can really be taken as something bigger than it should be. For example, there is really no way to falsify the hypothesis that moral...
  • Commented on Liar Liar
    I agree with these ways to detect lying, including polygraphs and non verbal cues. But I also think that there is a little bit more to the story. Why does a mother know when her children are lying more than...
  • Commented on Liar Liar
  • Posted Killer Math Problems to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    Many times, calculus problems take a lot of brain juice to find the right answer. They require me to counter the problems with using heuristics while reaping the benefits. The problems include salience of surface similarities (Wait! I saw a...
  • Commented on If Athletes can smoke, so can we.
    I think this a powerful part of this advertisement is its target group. It doesn't target the self confident people out there but instead it targets the ones that are trying to fit in. They want to be part of...
  • Commented on What happens when we go to sleep?
    I like this idea because it reminds me of sleep mode on a computer. It is still on for sure but it is not responding to anything and the screen is blank. Something is still being processed in the computer...
  • Commented on You can train a fish?
    This is truly terrific. I especially appreciate the basketball and football stunts of the fish. I actually tried to teach my dog how to fetch and I did not really include this chaining method as I should have. I didn't...
  • Commented on Can air pollution really increase health factors?
    I agree with your conclusion that this article is making an unscientific claim. Along with the two that you mentioned I think that two other principles also relate. First, how can we be sure that the two are not a...
  • Commented on Dolphins Training Other Dolphins
    I think that this dolphin training is largely an adaptive ability to learn to survive. I can agree that the ability to do tricks is not necessary for survival, but there are many other things that are. These might include...
  • Commented on TURN THAT OFF!
    I can agree with you about this Teen Buzz. The same thing happens to me where I here a high pitched buzz from the TV monitor but even my friends claimed that I was making things up. I think that...
  • Commented on Correlation
    I think that distinguishing correlation from causation is easy to talk about but hard to remember in everyday life. There are times when I am sure that my performance at work is making another worker slightly irritated. But how can...
  • Commented on Oh my, what a big hippocampus you have.
    I also found the brain functions very interesting. This study on taxi drivers was amazing because #1 they knew how to navigate London. I think that is amazing. Then, the researcher figured out a way to measure brain activity in...
  • Commented on Pin The Blame on Vaccinations
    This is an interesting topic. It sounds just like the pseudoscience that our text book talked so much about. The idea of linking such a big topic to so little data and then suggesting that one causes the other is...
  • Posted Blog # 2: Adrenaline to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    I found the section about adrenaline fascinating. Something exciting happens outside of our body and our body reacts. First, the sympathetic nervous system ramps up and the parasympathetic system shuts down. Then, the sympathetic nervous system activates the adrenal glands...
  • Posted Intelligence & Chapter 9 to Psy 1001 section 16 & 17 Spring 2012
    What really is intelligence? Many psychologists have been trying to figure out the meaning of this idea. Psychologist Spearman proposed that it is a combination of g (general intelligence) and s (specific abilities.) IQ tests demonstrate that items answered correctly...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from redi0069