govek002

• Commented on That's What Makes You Beautiful
    This was a very applicable topic that we learned about. I found the combination of what defines beauty and how people choose mates to be very interesting because of how often it relates to our lives as college students. With...
  • Commented on Just how often are we classically conditioned on an average day?
    I definitely agree that classical conditioning is one of the most prevalent topics in psychology simply because we are exposed to it daily. Whenever one turns on the TV, drives past a billboard, or goes online, they are being classically...
  • Commented on Psychology...What will I remember?
    This is a great application of the mere exposure effect that I have never thought of before. I too have friends from many different regions of the US and, at first, we didn't understand why each other said the things...
  • Commented on Personality: Not What I Once Thought
    It truly is fascinating to think about the origins of peoples' personality traits. I thought the chapter in our book did a good job at breaking it down; however, there is still a lot to learn in this department. For...
  • Posted REM for LIFE! to Psy 1001 section 26 Spring 2012
    One of the most interesting things I have learned in the Psychology 101 is the concept of consciousness; in particular the biology of sleep. As a busy college student and a soon-to-be busy engineer, I will be battling the constant...
  • Commented on Monkey See, Monkey Do.
    It's a hard task to pinpoint the exact reasons for the actions of teenagers. There are endless factors going on in their lives that could affect them whether it be environmental, genetic or both. For example, in the case of...
  • Commented on Truth about lying
    There are definitly people I can trust more than others based on the history I share with them. At first everyone I meet starts out on the same playing field; everyone is trusted. Unfortunatly, however, some people are just unreliable...
  • Commented on You, sir, are a liar and a scoundrel.
    I have never seen this show but it reminds me of the show 'The Moment of Truth' which was very controversial as to whether or not a polygraph detector could determine if the contestants were lying or not. Long story...
  • Commented on Minnesota, eh?
    I personally think 'Minnesota Nice' is a wive's tale. I am from Green Bay and people act the same there. When I first came here I did not feel any more welcomed by the locals than I do in other...
  • Commented on Parenting styles. There are so many but which to choose?
    I am in agreement with this blog post and its amazing to realize how much stress parents put themselves under when they hear success/fail stories. They are definitly being too hard on themselves because, as the book states, as long...
  • Commented on Homework Should Never Be Done Alone
    I definitely agree that there are pros and cons to working together as a group. I also believe that if one approaches group work in the right way its advantages will outweigh its disadvantages. For example, in my math class...
  • Commented on Internet Perception
    This is interesting and as bauma275 has mentioned, this concept can be applied to many types of media. Newspaper in particular is one that comes to mind because I'm in a entrepreneur class that deals with advertisement strategies. Our textbook...
  • Posted Problem Solving: A Somewhat Tricky Task to Psy 1001 section 26 Spring 2012
    As we all know as students here at the U, there are often many barriers to solving problems. From a difficult problem on a physics test to whether or not you should break up with your girlfriend/boyfriend you are constantly...
  • Commented on Memory Causing Movies to go 'Overboard'
    I think movies illustrate amnesia is a variety of ways. In the case of the movie 'Overboard' it may be viewed as romantic and harmless but other movies such as '50 First Dates' illustrate some of the real world problems...
  • Commented on My Memory of Running Away?
    This blog post brings up another interesting point about how our perspectives change as we grow older. Similiar to how degn0034 remembered the forest being a lot larger than it actually was, I too remember playing in my grandparents back...
  • Commented on Wanna Join(t) Me?
    You have a very nice title and great blog post over all that attracts bloggers to read on! Congrats! I think the biggest reason that drugs are tried initially is due to peer pressure and a sense of adventure which...
  • Commented on Sex, Sensuality and Salad
    This is very insightful and will motivate me to eat more salads from Hardies. In fact, I may have developed a fetish for salads after looking at this ad. If, after being presented with salads continously without the presence of...
  • Commented on Ground Hog Day (The Movie) I've figured it out!
    I think that you do bring up a good point that applies well to the chapter about memory and psychology but even if everyone's hippocampuses were damaged so they suffered from anterograde amnesia, this concept would still be unlikely because...
  • Commented on Mind Your Step or Mind Your Eyes?
    This illusion definitly utilizes the brain's monocular cues and manipulates them to create a sense of depth. By using pictorial cues such as texture gradient and linear perspective, the artists create an illusion. The artists use texture gradient by detailing...
  • Commented on I will become this man
    It may appear that the diamonds are flowing out of his hand and that he magically appeared on a horse but it should be considered that their could be a simpler explanation to these strange events. With the help of...
  • Commented on Sleep...how much is enough?
    It is very interesting how people have different needs when it comes to sleeping. I think this could possibly be due to two factors. The first being that as we progress through life we form a schedule with certain sleeping...
  • Commented on The Great Debate: Not Politics or Religion But... Videogames?
    This is definitly a controversial topic as anyone can see by the amount of debate it has sparked. I propose that while agression could be correlated with competition as many have pointed out, that the causal relationship could be reversed....
  • Posted Marijuana and the Mind: Correlation is not Causation! to Psy 1001 section 26 Spring 2012
    The article attached below is a prime example of how the media fails to follow certain principles of scientific thinking. It claims that the use of marijuana in teens leads to depression and mental disorders later on in life....
  • Posted An Engaging Read Packed With Information! to Psy 1001 section 26 Spring 2012
    After skimming through the chapter, I was immediately impressed to see the amount of interaction the book has with the reader. By providing examples of studies done in the past as well as puzzling challenges for students to work through,...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from govek002

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page