stase007

• Commented on Mind Power
    I always knew that the mind was a complicated yet fascinating thing, but this course and our textbook opened my eyes to just how complex it truly is. I never really contemplated the idea of egocentrism, but after doing so,...
  • Commented on Can Stress Really Do That?
    I too have suffered from anxiety for the majority of my life, and I was surprised by some of the things I learned in this class regarding stressors. I found the chart on one of the pages of our textbook...
  • Posted The Apple Doesn't Fall Far From the Tree to Psy 1001 section 26 Spring 2012
    My grandpa was an alcoholic. His father was an alcoholic. My father is an alcoholic. Notice a pattern here? Several chapters covered in class mentioned various issues involved with addiction. We learned how addiction can be treated through the use...
  • Commented on IAT Sheds Light on the Impact of Implicit Thought...Jenny Kinzler
    Thanks for the great post! I actually did a similar REP study, where I was asked to math up 'good' words and 'bad' words to either a heterosexual category or a homophobic category. I did not find out the results...
  • Commented on You Look So Good in Those Genes
    Great post! With all the new research coming out about various genes and traits that are associated with those genes, it wouldn't surprise me if a whole new type of eugenics movement formed. Of course, we have come a long...
  • Commented on Unborn Baby Geniuses
    I agree to my fellow commenters that it is unlikely the music or any other type of stimulation enhances an unborn infant's intelligence. I do, however, believe that it is still important to stimulate the child. Reading books to them...
  • Commented on Double Eyelids, Beautiful?
    Your post reminds me of a documentary I once saw, focusing on an Asian woman who was determined to look more "American" and even went as far as getting eyelid surgery to create the 'extra skin.' Every culture has their...
  • Commented on And the final rose goes to...
    I must admit that I am an avid fan of 'The Bachelor,' and I completely agree with your thoughts regarding the two-factor theory as a means of forming a relationship on the show. I mean, come on, how can you...
  • Commented on "I can tell you're lying!" - Actually no, you probably can't
    Thanks for the post! Ekman's work fascinated me as well, because I always assumed that there were general tell-tale signs of a lie. I remember back when the Scott Peterson trial was going on, there was a segment on Nancy...
  • Commented on Internet Perception
    I have never realized the way psychological principles are used in web design, as well as other media related sources. I'm definitely going to pay more attention to the layouts of my most frequented sites, and try to think how...
  • Commented on What do cats and babies have in common?
    Thanks for the post! I love cats, and I've wondered some of the questions brought up in your blog as well. I've tried getting my cat to look at himself in mirror too- and just like your cat, he paid...
  • Posted 16 and Pregnant Revealed!- Assignment 3- Emily Stasel to Psy 1001 section 26 Spring 2012
    It is common knowledge that the bond between a mother (or primary caregiver) and child is important- but just how important is it? Well, I was surprised when I stumbled upon an article describing attachment theory as the "first...
  • Commented on SleepWalking-Valid Arguement in Trial
    Sleepwalking as a defense to murder is completely crazy, but I believe it is valid. If one doesn't remember sleepwalking, how could they remember what they have done during it? I personally have dabbled with sleep-walking a couple times as...
  • Commented on Knock, Knock. Is anyone here? - Conscious Awareness
    In high school, my class learned and studied the Terry Shaivo case. While the root of the argument appears to be over money, the issue of her consciousness was of debate. After several trials and appeals, the end came in...
  • Commented on Ground Hog Day (The Movie) I've figured it out!
    Your entry immediately makes me think of the movie "50 First Dates" with Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore, where Barrymore suffers amnesia and is forced to live the same day over and over, while Adam is trying to form a...
  • Commented on The Call of the Wild
    The concept you expressed of animals communicating in 'human' speak so to say totally brings me back to "The Wild Thornberries" day (the once popular tv show where the main character can talk to every single species of animal). I...
  • Commented on I Got A Gut Feeling...
    Very good entry! I think people are getting 'gut instincts' and 'impulse decisions' blended together. I believe that 'gut instincts' and intuition often do lead to successful results, while I believe that 'impulse decisions' lead to poor outcomes and oftentimes,...
  • Commented on Sex, Sensuality and Salad
    As everyone noted above me, sex sells. Prostitution, for example, is the oldest occupation that still exists today. As i'm not an expert, I can only speculate as to why sex is such a predominate motive in humans. I believe...
  • Commented on When I Say Three, You Will Be A...
    I took a psychology class in high school, and one day during class my teacher hypnotized (or at least attempted to hypnotize) my class as a whole. It appeared that only one boy in our class had fallen into this...
  • Commented on Defining Sexuality
    I also agree with the idea that the enlarged hypothalamus in homosexuals males compared to straight males is more of a correlation than a causation. There has recently been a lot of hype about scientists discovering a 'gay gene' (as...
  • Commented on Emotions and the Force that Drives Us
    I never realized how space plays a role in intimidation, although it makes perfect sense. I even learned in previous public speaking classes that speakers feel more comfortable speaking behind a podium, because it creates a barrier between them and...
  • Commented on Why is she so attractive? It's called Photoshop......
    I love how the Halo effect can be used against someone as well. I personally believe, and I think a lot of people would agree, that when a physically attractive person encompasses a not-so ideal personality, they start to appear...
  • Posted Don't Poke Me With That!- Emily Stasel- Blog Assignment #2 to Psy 1001 section 26 Spring 2012
    Those of you reading this right now have most likely been poked and prodded with needles dozens of times. Rubella, meningitis, polio, and tetanus (just to name a few) are shots that are required to be administered to children...
  • Posted Emily Stasel Assignment 1 - Am I Recreating the Past? to Psy 1001 section 26 Spring 2012
    Dictionary.com defines 'memory' simply as a person's power to remember things. Interestingly enough, this definition does not include the phrase to remember things accurately. Chapter 7 of our textbook delves into the complex, intricate human phenomena of memory, and aims...
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from stase007

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page