schm3474

• Commented on Hannah's Page
    Hannah, Your 3rd entry shows some good thoughts in terms of thinking through the logic of ordering in your group presentation. Ending with the comparison of the two operas does seem like a good way to tie everything together, but...
  • Commented on Jerry's journal
    Jerry, Your third entry does a good job to articulate a way of assessing an author's credentials (i.e. he did his PhD research on Vivaldi, and thus must be an expert). See if you can think more about what specifically...
  • Commented on Jack's Research Journal
    Jack, Good points about how new technologies in sharing (which promise to bring people together) can actually function to hold people apart. I'm wondering if you think this had any impact on the final presentation? Did you feel like it...
  • Commented on Leo's Page
    Leo, These are great, thorough blog entries. I especially like how your third entry begins to think through specific overarching ideas about Baroque and its significance as a rebellious art form. To play devil's advocate, I want to push back...
  • Commented on Ryan's Individual Blog
    Ryan, Your first two blog entries are very thorough about your research process and questions. The last two are a little less fleshed out. True, you're discussing mostly process issues, but there is still a lot you can discuss here:...
  • Commented on Rex Davenport - Individual Blog
    So, Tarantino is your gold standard for a thrilling climax? Fair enough. I've appreciated your thorough blogging throughout the process. I'm glad that the process has been as interesting for you as the actual research itself. This is a major...
  • Commented on Kaitlyn
    Kaitlyn, These are great entries. How fortunate that you found the article near the end that confirmed what you had been thinking! For future research projects, consider finding such resources not only useful confirmation that you're going in the right...
  • Commented on Elizabeth Machart
    Elizabeth, Your final journal entries give some good information about your process leading up to the presentation, and your reflection on your performance in the presentation. I would like to see think a little less about the style of how...
  • Commented on Rebecca's Page
    Rebecca, Your second to last reflection gives some good insight on your process, specifically your whittling down of materials in order to fit the presentation. You seem to have de-emphasized the Shakespeare/Calederon connection, which ended up being a good thing...
  • Commented on Katie's Page
    Katie, Good work on these entries. Some quick observations: Entry 3 - Good point about the usefulness of doing contextual research before reading the play. An alternative approach is to read the play first, and use that experience to gauge...
  • Commented on Cate's Page
    Cate, I'm glad that you're proud of the work you did for the assignment. I could see the effort that you put forth in the final presentation. You made some good observations about the smooth flow of other groups, but...
  • Commented on Caleb's Page
    Caleb, You give some good reflections on your presentation. I'd be interested to know how you thought your group's presentation specifically of an argument compared to those of your peers. Perhaps it would have been better for the group to...
  • Commented on Michael's Blog
    Good reflections here, Michael. To respond to your assessment of the need of "more of an exploration in the realm of performance, art, and theater in general" I wanted to just focus this idea a little bit. I think what...
  • Commented on Ga Yun's journal
    Ga Yun, Good work on these final blog entries. I like your reflection on the differences between your group and others. I want you to notice a couple things: you say that the other groups talked more about the context...
  • Commented on Bowen's Beautiful Blog (Page)
    Bowen, Your further blog updates showed that you were doing solid research and being attentive to the other groups, but I'd like to see you take some more time at self-reflection. What did you think that you did well in...
  • Commented on Anna Heitz - Journal
    Anna, Good job reflecting on the end portion of your research and on your presentation. While I could see that you had a tough time fitting all your information into the presentation, I thought that you did a good job...
  • Commented on Kevin's Week Two: the Blind and Insane (or maybe they're just actors)
    Kevin, Glad that you found Paradox of Acting so interesting. This is a great text to get at the heart of the theory behind Diderot's bourgeois drama. Interesting and random connection to Louis Braille! These are the sort of golden...
  • Commented on Kevin's Week One, if this oddly buggy software will permit
    Kevin, Great, thorough entry here. Ditto on the crappy web platform. You give both strong analysis of the information you've discovered and how it applies to your subject and also document your process as an historian. Interesting that you invented...
  • Commented on Abby's Blog Entry #1-- Misconceptions on Bourgeois
    Abby, This entry is great at pointing out the historiographic complication of different meanings of words in different time periods - bourgeois in this case. Don't think of it as there being a right or wrong way to use bourgeois....
  • Commented on Shea #3
    1. You've put your finger on a difficult problem: Too much information which needs condensing. One solution is to take the 1-2 most important sources you've used and try to summarize what you get out of them in order to...
  • Commented on Shea Page #2
    The analysis you make in question number 2 is terrific! Seems like you got a lot out of the comparative essay papers since you're doing a good job at finding general thematic elements rather than looking merely at plot and...
  • Commented on Lizi's Blog Entry #1
    Great first entry to discuss some of your initial questions and discoveries. It's good that you're looking not just at individuals, but also at the production values that characterized this period of history (i.e. the 4th wall). You're also hitting...
  • Commented on Kiara's Korner
    Kiara, This is a great entry in terms of both giving specific info and attacking some historiographic questions. In particular, you do a good job to chart the different meaning "bourgeois" has in contemporary society versus that of 18th century...
  • Commented on Andraya's Blog Number One
    Andraya, Lots of great info here. I like how you chart your journey from knowing essentially nothing about the era to discussing how terms become illuminated and useful to you. It's great that you're not only putting emphasis on the...
  • Commented on Bree's Blog!
    Hi Bree, Your journal entry is great in terms of both defining some of the specific information you found on Holberg and thinking about his theoretical views of theatre (i.e. the desire to awaken people's common sense). I'm also seeing...
  • Commented on Rebecca's Page
    Rebecca, These are nice and thorough entries. I like that in your first entry you document your research on the authors of the book. That's excellent historiographical research! One thing to consider is what this research tells you - what...
  • Commented on Erik's Page
    Eric, Your blog gives lots of information and charts a very detailed path of your reserach. To answer your initial question, this is exactly how we intended you to post the journal, so continue in this format for the future....
  • Commented on Dan's Blerg
    Hi Dan, I'm missing blog (or blerg) entries from you. Be sure to get these up ASAP so that you do not get penalized any further for their absence. Bryan...
  • Commented on Allie's Page
    Allie, This journal does a good job to document your process as a researcher. The book "A Short History of Scandinavian Theater" in particular sounds like a great find, and I hope you found it useful to start from this...
  • Commented on Leo's Page
    Leo, You're doing a good job to both document some specifics of your individual reserach and your process as a researcher. You've found some really useful info about the politics of the Early Modern Period and the rise of capitalism....
Subscribe to feed Recent Actions from schm3474

Following

Not following anyone

About This Page