University of Minnesota
Driven to Discover

Results tagged “Sports”

Twins Vs Angles

So yesterday I was able to get 5 free tickets from my favorite non-profit organization ACES and I decided to take my friend, little brother, nephew, and niece.It was an exciting time for my younger family members because it was their first time at a Twins game. The first thing we ordered when we got there were the "Dinger Dogs" which is a footlong hot dog. Then we ordered fries and a large pepsi. We then topped things off with cotton candy.

As good as the food was, the game was not so good. We eventually had to see the Twins fall to the Angels 6-2. However, on a brighter note, my kids got to see an official homerun from left fielder Josh Willingham. Additionally, they also got to see the fireworks that came after the homerun.

I guess you can say that this was a success because my kids got to enjoy an outdoor baseball game, eat great tasting food, and see many of the in game festivities.

me balcony 2.JPG
mid view 3.JPGmid view 2.JPG
close up base view.JPG

NFL Draft Conclusion

So the Vikings just concluded the draft this past weekend and we were able to get so many new players into the organization. First Vikings traded away their #3 overall pick for the #4 overall to select Matt Kalil and a few other late picks. Then with those extra picks we came back into the 1st round and got a safety Harrison Smith. Then in the 3rd round we got the faster cornerback at the NFL combine. Followed by 2 recievers, a tight end, a cornerback, a kicker, a linebacker, and a defensive lineman. This draft in my opinion was a great draft because we the VIkings literally injected a lot of young guys into the team and really talented players that could potentially develop into starters in the future. I am seriously very excited to see these guys play especially Matt Kalil and Harrison Smith.

Welcome to the team guys!

NFL Draft

So next week is the NFL draft starting with the first round that will begin Thursday and rounds 2-3 on Friday and 4-7 on Saturday. The draft is essentially the selection of college players and is a great way to bring younger players onto your team. It is also the best way to build a good team. For example, teams like Green Bay have done a great job of drafting players which has led to its recent strings of successful seasons. For me personally, I enjoy this time because I am very interested in the new players that will be coming into the Minnesota Vikings team. Additionally most mock drafts have the Vikings selecting Matt Kalil at the number 3 spot in the first round and either a cornerback or receiver in the second round. Whatever the case it maybe, I am just excited to hear about some football news and bring new excitement to the team next year!

Lets go Vikings! 

Timberwolves Update

Had a great time with the my family yesterday at the game against Memphis. Even though I wasn't as focused on the game as I usually am I still had a great time. My family also had a great time with all the festivities that were there like trying to get featured on the jumbotron or  just enjoying the half time shows. Here are a few other highlights of my night:

free samples of licorice candy
free samples of chips
received a buy one get one free pretzel for first 500 fans
got to meet crunch
ate loaded potatoes, fresh cut fries, ice cream, pretzel, and hotdogs

The best part of my night was knowing that even though we lost, my family truly had a wonderful experience at the game

Little nephew meeting Crunch for the first time!
P4171016.JPG
Little brother comparing shoe size...P4171006.JPG
nephew comparing shoe size...P4171007.JPGshoot arounds!!!
P4171026.JPG

Cheap Timberwolves Ticket!

I just scored 6 tickets to the Minnesota Timberwolves game against the Memphis Grizzles for $1.60 a piece on Stubhub! The best part is that they are lower level tickets.

Now your probably wonder if we should trust the site right? Well when you buy from Stubhub, it has a guarantee program that will make sure you get your seats so don't worry.

But I bought the 6 tickets with the intention to take my 2 younger brothers and 2 nephews to experience a live basketball game.To my kids, winning isn't a very big issues and its more about just having fun with them. For example, they enjoy the dunks and the food that are there. Thus this brings a very good point of developing team spirits at an early age as well as having fun. I'm really hoping we get a win to add onto the great experience we are going to have tomorrow!

Will post photos soon enough!

twolves tickets.jpeg

So COOL!

Wow, I seriously have like 3 weeks left of classes and finals on the first week of May! It is both an exciting time and sad time for me because I have really enjoyed my last 2 and half years in the sports management program. The instructors are awesome and well informed within their respective fields. Additionally, I have learned a lot from the instructors and really am sad to leave higher education.

On to other things, lets see I just got a set of tickets to a Twins game for May 10th against the Toronto Blue Jays. Guess how...I got it through volunteering at my favorite after school program Athletes Committed to Educating Students! I cant wait to go!

tickets.jpg

NFL resolves Saints Bounty System

I am relieved that the NFL was able to resolve the issue between the New Orleans and the Bounty System they ran. For those of you who don't know, the Saints under the guidance of defensive coordinator Greg Williams ran a bounty system in which he awarded cash advances to players on the team should they injure an opposing player. Additionally, the general manager of the Saints and the head coach all knew about this as well.

This bounty system affected me as a Minnesota Vikings because during the 2009 NFC championship game, the Saints were intentionally trying to injure Probowl QB Brett Favre and it resulted in him taking big hits as well as a badly injured ankle.

As a result, Greg Williams is indefinitely banned from the NFL, the head coach is being suspended for one year, and the general manager will be suspended for about 6 months.

Topics like these are very ethical issues because it involved so many people and so many reasons why people choose to either do it or not do it. I for one am relieved that the NFL was able to handle this very well and straighten things out.

Spring Break

Spring Break has officially begun and after looking at the weather forecast, the weather should be pretty fair to us Minnesotans for this spring break. So be sure to get some time outdoors because I have already.

Yesterday had a little game of co-ed flag football with my friends and of course my team won! Also I'll be going to the Saint Paul Rec Center today as well and just a reminder that they are running on different times for spring break. So plan your workouts accordingly.

Have a safe and exciting break, I will keep you posted through out the week!

Timberwolves Recap

I totally forgot to post up these photos, but last Monday, I went to the Timberwolves-Clippers game and had such a great time as well as a 95-94 victory for the Timberwolves.

This was a very exciting game because it was a battle between Kevin Love and Blake Griffen both who many considered to be the next generation of power fowards in the NBA. Blake Griffen had 26 points and 12 rebounds which was very impressive but Kevin Love outplayed him and went off for 39 points and 17 boards as well as the final 4 points to keep pace ahead of the Clippers.

Timberwolves game finisher.JPG
IMG_3804.JPG
IMG_3806.JPG

Coffman Arcade

Just had lunch and some fun at the arcade in the basement of the bowling alley. Great way to kill time and get a snack bar that offers food like fries, cheese curds, sodas, and FREE board games!

coffman 2.jpg

Giants Super Bowl Victory

What a great Super Bowl game. The action was intense and the momentum kept shifting between the two teams. For example, the Giants took a 9 point lead with lots of momentum heading in to the second quarter only for the Patriots to finish out the first half with a 10-9 lead. The last 2 quarters were pretty even and both teams switched leads until the Giants offense scored a touchdown with 1 minute left in the game. Tom Brady and his offense had one last drive to score and made it half way down the field with 2 last chance "hail mary" plays but both attempts came up short.

It was definitely nice to see Eli Manning and his Giants get a second Super Bowl victory over the New England Patriots.

superbowl photo.jpgLast "hail mary" play that came up short.

Super Bowl Sunday

Were are just about 5 hours away from Super Bowl 46 and I can't wait! So what's your plan for today? Well for me, I'm going to study for a few hours and head on over to my friend's house who just so happens to have a huge 60 inch TV!!! This year's underdog are the New York Giants and I'll be cheering them on because I really like the Giants defensive line who I think will be chasing Tom Brady all day.

Go GIANTS

2007 Giants Champions.jpg

Vikings' Season Recap

The Vikings finished the season at 3-13. It was a season in which there were some optimisum for a possible playoff run with a mix of vetran and rookie players. The hopes were quickly dashed after a 1-5 start and turned out to be a season filled with inconsistent play.

BUT

I am excited for next season as I saw many good performances from several players. For example, Vikings' defensive end Jared Allen set a Vikings single season record for sacks with 21 and came within half a sack of tying the NFL record. Wide reciever Percy Harvin came on strong at the end of the season and finished with a career high 967 yards receiving. Toby Gerhart proved that he could carry the offense while filling in nicely for Adrian Peterson. Christian Ponders showed glimpse of greatness in nearly leading the Vikings to a win against the Packers and was able to lead the Vikings on a game winning drive to beat the Carolina Panthers.

Thus,

With an offseason to work with all the players, the Vikings have nowhere to go but UP and improve which is what I look forward to!

GO VIKINGS!

WOW $20 for a Timberwolves Game

Hey just a heads up. In celebration of the new years, the Minnesota Timberwolves are selling $20 for a lowerlevel ticket as well as upper levels for $5. Now thats a great deal to take advantage of. I will also be in attendance for that game so if you see me feel free to gave me a high five!

Go Timberwolves!!!

You can copy and paste the link below or just click here "Ticketmaster" to get there.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/2B004786AF454ADF?brand=timberwolves&camefrom=NBATIMBERWOLVES_FB_OFFERS120102

Thumbnail image for twolves.jpg

Vikings vs Bears

So this past weekend, my cousin gave me two free tickets to the Vikings versus the Bears game at the Metrodome and I decided to take my little brother who is 10 years old to go with me. It was his first time going to the game and so I was hoping for a Viking's victory. Sadly the Vikings lost to the Bears in the final minute of the game. But aside from that, I thought that my little brother enjoyed all the aspects of the gameday experiences such as the making "noise" on third downs or the chants like "DEFENSE" and the SKOL vikings songs that all fans sing everytime we score points.

It truly was a fun time and experience going with my little brother. Our next game that him and I are going to is the Timberwolves game! Which I will update you more on later!

Percy Harvin's 5 yard touchdown run

Percy Harvin.jpg

Hip Hip Hooray for the NBA!

Just as I was ready to give up on the NBA season for 2011-2012...the lock out is FINALLY over! I'm most excited to attend the Timberwolve College Nights and I hope they continue the tradition of discounted tickets again this year for college students. I look forward to watching new accusitions Ricky Rubio and Derrick Williams as well as the development of Wes Johnson. But the main player I am looking forward to watching is the all-star Kevin Love!

Timberwolves(33).jpg

Gopher Volleyball

On Sunday I attended the Gopher volleyball game against Michigan. It was actually a really good deal because all or most of the pre-sanctioned NCAA tournaments are free for students. I was surprised to see almost all of the stand full. Since I don't keep up with volleyball as much as some of the other sports I was out of touch with how popular volleyball has become. Overall, the experience of Gopher volleyball was very positive and exciting. It was interesting to see really good athletes who know what they are doing play because you definitely don't get the same fast paced action in a beginners volleyball class. In college volleyball, they play best out of five games. Unfortunately, Michigan won in three games (25-21, 25-21, and 25-22) and although the Gophers put up a good fight they could not close the games. I still had a great time despite the lost, volleyball is very entertaining and enjoyable! Below are some photos from the game: 

2011-11-13 13.49.36.jpg
2011-11-13 14.20.08.jpg

Mid Terms

The past two weeks have been a lot of studying for me as I had 2 exams. Last week I took the SMGT 3111 Sports Facility and Event Management exam and yesterday I just finished the SMGT 3421 Business of Sport. So I thought I would share some of my interesting notes that might be of interest to you.

- The Sports Industry is a $4 Billion industry.
- Fantasy Sports originated in the 1950's for professional golf and 1960's for baseball
          BUT
  Now football has the most participation
- The Fan Cost Index suggests that an average family of 4 will spend (cost includes parking/food/drinks/programs/tickets):
  $412.64 at an NFL game
  $301.01 at an NHL game
  $289.87 at an NBA game
  $195.13 at an MLB game

So do you have any interesting facts about sports???

More Viking Photos

And the Field Goal is GOOD!!!!
FG.jpg
Oh and as always the entertaining cheerleaders
HT Show.jpg

Vikings vs Cardinal Photos

Oh yes you better believe it --> The play before McNabb's first rushing TD of the season
McNabb TD.jpgNow its SKOL VIKINGS!!!!
SKOL Vikings.jpg

College of Education & Human Development
cehd@umn.edu | 612-626-9252 | 104 Burton Hall, 178 Pillsbury Dr SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455

© 2009 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved.
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.