Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us
check out my bio check out my bio check out my bio

The school year is has ended and it's time for summer to begin. My summer plans are especially exciting because I will be leaving the country for six weeks to intern abroad in Sydney, Australia! Unfortunately, that means that I will not be blogging for the next couple months, but I will be sure to take many photos and share them with you upon my return!

My internship abroad is part of CAPA International Education. I learned about this program while researching study abroad opportunities at the Learning Abroad Center. There are so many options to consider at the Learning Abroad Center--300 programs in more than 70 countries!

It's always been a dream of mine to travel halfway across the world to Australia and experience the Australian culture. I am taking on a long-term program because I want to be fully immersed in the culture; it was a tough choice between studying abroad for a semester or instead participating in an internship abroad during the summer. I choice to intern abroad because I believe it will be interesting to learn how businesses operate internationally, and I will gain a better global perspective. Additionally, I will be living with a family in Sydney, rather than in an apartment building, to completely understand the daily life and culture in Australia. I will not be traveling with anyone I know, so it will be exciting to meeting new people on this trip! Click here to learn more about my "Study and Internships in Sydney" program through the Learning Abroad Center!

As a Carlson School of Management student, a period of international experience is required of me during my time at the University of Minnesota. However, I know that I would have participated in a study abroad program even if it were not required. The best learning comes from pushing yourself out of your comfort zone and experiencing new things, and that's what studying abroad does for students. The University of Minnesota's Learning Abroad Center makes it very easy to study or intern abroad, and they work with you to make sure your international credits transfer back to the U of M. The one thing that most graduates regret is not taking the opportunity to study abroad, so I encourage you to all consider it when making your college plans.

Thank you for staying with me this academic year and reading about the U of M through my eyes. Another current U of M student, Emily Ehlert, will be taking over the blogs this summer, so you will be able to experience campus life from a whole new perspective. See you in the fall! Bon voyage! 

Relay-for-Life-logo.jpg

Erin Tlachac is a junior studying child psychology at the University of Minnesota, a U of M Admissions Ambassador, and a cancer survivor. She was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma last May, but with a positive spirit and many treatments at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, Erin beat cancer. She told her story to the 1,700 participants at the ninth-annual Relay For Life last Friday.

I was one of the lucky listeners at the event that night. Relay For Life, put on by Colleges Against Cancer, involved 140 teams who walked to raise awareness and money for the American Cancer Society from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. on Friday, April 27.  Emily's speech was incredibly touching, and I think the entire audience was able to look at life from a different perspective after hearing her story. Erin said she worked hard to stay optimistic, and the hardest part was losing her hair. At Relay For Life, Erin was able to walk a lap with fellow cancer survivors.

It was a very rainy night, but supporters of the cause stayed awake, walked, played games, and attended the luminaria celebration--a candlelight vigil--to honor victims taken by cancer. Eric was part of the Admissions Ambassador's team, which came in third as one of the leading donation teams at the event.

Erin is still involved with the Admissions Ambassadors as a co-chair with her best friend Quintin Walker, who said he "was impressed and proud of her attitude throughout the summer." I hope that Erin continues to share her story and reaches even more people to help support the cure for cancer in the future.

If you are interested in learning more about Relay For Life and how you can be involved with the program in the future please visit the Relay for Life website. Additionally, click here for more information about the American Cancer Society.

Grant Remmen is a National Merit Scholar who has been heavily involved in undergraduate research since he was a freshman attending the University of Minnesota. Grant has recently been awarded a prestigious Hertz Fellowship to support his future graduate studies. Considered to be the nation's most prestigious and generous support for graduate education in applied sciences and engineering, the Hertz Fellowship is valued at more than $250,000 per student, with support lasting up to five years.

Remmen will graduate summa cum laude from the University of Minnesota's College of Science and Engineering this spring and will begin graduate school this fall in pursuit of his Ph.D. Read on to get an inside look at Grant's experience at the University of Minnesota:

grant remmen.jpg

Name: Grant Remmen
Hometown: Detroit Lakes, MN
Majors:
Astrophysics, physics, and mathematics
Year of graduation: 2012

- Which U of M experiences have prepared you the most for your future?

"The U of M offers a plethora of undergraduate research opportunities. The ability to delve into research starting in my freshman year and continuing throughout my undergraduate studies at the U of M has well prepared me for success in graduate school and a career in science."

-  What have been the highlights of your time at the U of M? 

"There have been many academic highlights to my time at the U of M. Because of my undergraduate research at the U of M, I was presented with many awards. A few of the awards I have received include:

• Goldwater Scholarship
  • American Astronomical Society Chambliss Medal for exemplary research
  • University College London Dean's International Student Scholarship
  • Hertz Fellowship for graduate school
  • National Science Foundation Fellowship for graduate school

"A major highlight from my time at the U of M was a May Session study abroad experience in Italy, studying the work of Galileo and Leonardo daVinci. Spending a month in Florence and Rome allowed me to gain unforgettable experiences in getting to know a new culture and become globally engaged.

"My research experiences at the U of M have also been major highlights of my undergraduate education. Working with the University of Minnesota's world-class faculty, I have been able to conduct research on the Milky Way's dark matter, black holes, and even engage in Hubble Space Telescope research on Eta Carinae, a massive star system. These experiences have prepared me to excel in my graduate studies and my future career as a physicist."

- Can you comment on your interactions with your U of M professors? 

"Undergraduate research has allowed me the opportunity of working closely with remarkable faculty members at the University of Minnesota. By delving into current research problems with the University's leading investigators, students are able to develop connections with faculty outside of classes; the mentorship of University of Minnesota faculty has been a key component in preparing me for success."

- Would you recommend the U of M to high school students, and why?

"I would enthusiastically recommend the University of Minnesota to prospective students. At the U of M, you will find challenging academics, engaging professors, and cutting-edge research opportunities, which will well prepare you to excel in a career or in graduate school."

In a recent ranking by the Academic Ranking of World Universities,  the University of Minnesota placed 14th in the world in the field of Economics/Business. As a business student at the Carlson School of Management (CSOM) at the U of M, I was especially happy to hear that the school has moved up in the ranking this year.

Additionally, it is a very exciting time to be around the Carlson School of Management because next week is Business Week! Business Week is a one-week celebration focusing on Carlson students and the connection Carlson has to the business community. I am currently on the planning committee for the many events at occur throughout the week, and I am looking forward to all that Business Week has to offer!

The first event in Business Week is a case competition this Friday. A case competition involves teams of students who are put into a business situation and asked to present their proposed actions to a panel of judges. Then, on Saturday, there will be a 5K race to raise money for the Ronald McDonald House in Minneapolis. SAFA (Student Accounting & Finance Association) is a student organization at the U of M and will be hosting the 5K.

Next Monday kicks off the rest of the week. Each morning and afternoon, there is a free breakfast and lunch in the Carlson atrium. Companies located throughout the Twin Cities, such as General Mills, Ernst and Young, Ecolab, and many others, sponsor these meals. This gives the recruiters from each company an opportunity to speak with the students who are candidates for future internships and positions within the company.

There are also evening events during the week; including the Price is Right (where tons of prizes will be given to lucky contestants!), an Etiquette Dinner, the Take it to the Bank Networking Event hosted by young alumni from The Gophers of the Last Decade (GOLD), and a Business Day Dinner. The Business Day Dinner is the culmination of Business Week and represents the collaboration between students, staff, faculty, and business professionals. To celebrate the accomplishments of the Carlson community, awards will be presented to outstanding students, faculty, and recruiters of the year. There is even a keynote speaker who connects this year's theme, "Find Your Fit," to her personal experiences and our daily lives.

To learn more about what Business Week is and about the events that will be held during the week, visit the Business Week website.

If you would like to visit the U of M and the Carlson School of Management, click here to schedule your visit today!

ABC.jpgRelay for Life is a very popular event at the University of Minnesota, and always ends up being attended by a large amount of students. U of M student groups form teams to raise money for the American Cancer Society; the ultimate goal is to honor cancer survivors and remember people we have lost, but also to raise funds and awareness to help save lives. The teams walk in a relay around Bierman Field and set up campsites for the entire night. This year, the event will be held on Friday, April 27.

To help raise money for Relay for Life, the student organization Business Association of Multicultural Students (BAM) is hosting the Angel Benefit Concert this Thursday, April 5th. I have already RSVP'd for the Concert, and I can't wait!

There will be four great performances to watch tomorrow night. MinnesoTap is "a student-lead tap ensemble promoting cultural and historical awareness of a truly American art form." Members of Pi Eta Sigma will be performing a step show, and William Within, a band who plays folk/Americana music across the Twin Cities, will also be performing that evening. Finally, the Enchantments, a woman's a cappella group, will end the night with a few of their own songs.

The food and prizes are another amazing part of this event. Raising Canes and other Twin Cities restaurants will cater the Angel Benefit Concert, and there will even be a chocolate fountain. The raffle prizes include gifts from corporate sponsors, gift cards to local restaurants, and an iPod touch. To attend this event, tickets are sold in advance for $5 and at the door for $8. It will be held in the Great Hall of Coffman Memorial Union. This is a great way to have fun, get free food and prizes, and support Relay for Life and the American Cancer Society. I know I'm going to have a blast this Thursday. If you're near campus, please check out this awesome event!

For more information about the Angel Benefit Concert or Business Association of Multicultural Students (BAM), visit the BAM website at http://www.bam4biz.com/. To learn more about Relay for Life and how you can help make a difference, click here! View the save-the-date video for the Angel Benefit Concert below to get an even better idea of what the event will be like. Hope to see you there!

Apply Visit Ask Us Home