Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us
check out my bio check out my bio check out my bio

The Recreation, Park, and Leisure Studies program at the University of Minnesota will be hosting the annual Gopher Adventure Race on Friday, October 7, 2011!

The Gopher Adventure Race is a mental and physical challenge to the participants who race in teams, traveling by foot and campus transportation to decipher clues that lead them to discover many "gems" that exist at this great University. Teams of two can be made up of females, males, or co-ed (student category), alumni who have graduated less than ten years ago and alumni who have graduated ten years ago and over (alumni category), or faculty & staff.

The Gopher Adventure Race (GAR) is an environmentally responsible event and incorporates "green" practices in line with the FitPlanet criteria for their "Pledge of Sustainability". A portion of each registration fee is donated to our community partner, the Three Rivers Park District, for Forests Forever, a reforestation project that provides critical habitat for wildlife threatened by urban sprawl and ensures the beauty of our parks for future generations.

If you are a U of M student, alumni, or faculty & staff member, register today for this exciting adventure!

The Big Ten has launched an Honoring Legends. Building Leaders. Mobile Tour that will visit each Big Ten campus this football season. The Mobile Tour, which is going to highlight the new Big Ten Championship Trophy and honor one school each week, will be stopping at the beautiful TCF Stadium for the Oct. 29 Iowa at Minnesota game.

Student blogger Kate Garcia, a senior in the U of M's College of Liberal Arts, will be the representative of the University of Minnesota on the tour. If you get the chance to visit campus in October for the Iowa vs. Minnesota game, be sure to stop by the Mobile Tour Bus, as Kate will be there as a host on behalf of Golden Gopher football. In the meantime, she will be Tweeting and posting video blogs leading up to the big game, so check it out!

Check out Kate's intro video below! Representatives from our Big Ten rivals are also posting their own videos on the Big Ten Mobile Tour YouTube page.

The Minnesota State Fair is an icon of state culture; it's the third largest state fair in the country, and the fairgrounds are very close to campus! In terms of daily attendance, the MN State Fair is actually the largest in the country. I took my trip to The Great Minnesota Get-Together last weekend, and I had a blast! My friends and I spent the whole day going on rides, visiting promotional booths (with people who handout lots of giveaways!), checking out the animals, and eating.

I had delicious Sweet Martha's Cookies for lunch, but there are many food options available that could satisfy any craving, and almost everything is on a stick. You can enjoy the free entertainment or head to a Grandstand Show to see some amazing performances.

You can also see the sculpture of The Minnesota State Fair's 58th Princess Kay of the Milky Way, which is crafted out of a 90-pound block of butter. Mary Zahurones, 18, of Pierz, Minn., will be the goodwill ambassador for the state's 4,500 dairy farmers. She was chosen from among a dozen county dairy princesses.  Zahurones will attend the University of Minnesota this fall as a pre-med student studying biology and chemistry.

There is so much to do at the Minnesota State Fair that anyone can have a good time!  

After a long, fun summer, it's that time of year again--school is back in session! I will be a sophomore at the University of Minnesota this year, and it's great to be back for my second year on campus. I'm excited for my classes this fall, and it's nice to be able to see all of my friends who had left for their hometown during the summer months. I also can't wait for the cool, crisp air and the beautiful colors of fall that will soon be seen throughout the campus.

So far, I have completed just one week of fall semester classes. I am anticipating that this semester will be a great chance for me to gain even more knowledge and learn about some interesting topics. My schedule consists of the following classes: Introduction to Entrepreneurial Management, Business Administration, Operations Management Systems: Business Statistics, Introduction to Public Speaking, and Introduction to Multicultural Literature. I have a great mix of courses that are required for my majors (Marketing and Entrepreneurial Management) along with courses that fulfill Liberal Education requirements and teach me about subjects outside of my majors.

This fall I will be continuing my membership in the professional business fraternity Alpha Kappa Psi, and I will be on the executive planning committee for Business Week, which takes place in the spring. I also intend to take a look at other student organizations to see what is out there. Although I will be much busier during the school year between going to class, studying, and working, I believe that it's very important for all students to find a community to become involved with on campus. The U of M has more than 600 student organizations and clubs available--there's so much excitement here that it's hard to not get involved!

I look forward to keeping you updated throughout the school year with the many activities and events that I will be participating in. Be sure to check my blog regularly to stay updated on the happenings of the University of Minnesota, and to find out what life is like for a real U of M student!

If you're a Minnesota sports fan and you' re looking for an internship or job, then head to Target Field on Tuesday, September 20, 2011 for the seventh annual 2011 Sports Internship and Career Fair! The Minnesota Twins Baseball Club will host the Fair from 11:00AM-2:00PM at the Rod Carew Atrium located within Target Field on the Legend's Club Level.

This is a great opportunity for students to learn about a variety of internship and career opportunities with many sports related organizations from throughout the upper Midwest. The fair costs $25.00, which will include admission to the fair, one ticket to that evening's game against the Seattle Mariners, and a food coupon that can be redeemed for a hot dog and soft drink at Target Field. What a great deal!

Space is limited, so register early to secure your spot!  Advanced registration is required, and you must register before Monday, September 12. To register, call 1-800-33-TWINS. You may purchase 1 additional ticket for a friend or family member who is not attending the fair to accompany you to the game. If you would like to be seated with specific individuals who are attending the fair, you must purchase tickets at the same time. For questions, contact: jobs@twinsbaseball.com.

I highly encourage you to take advantage of this opportunity! Internship and career fairs are a great way to set yourself up for success in the future. If you want a job in the sports industry, attending this fair would be the first step on the path to reaching your goal!

Apply Visit Ask Us Home