Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us
check out my bio check out my bio check out my bio

Hello again!

I hope you're enjoying your summer so far - I've had a great start to mine. I wanted to share some of what I've been up to, and give you a preview of some of the great attractions and events that the Twin Cities has to offer!

A Weekend With Friends

I hosted visitors two weekends in a row - the first weekend two old friends came up from my hometown in Illinois to stay with me and enjoy the Twin Cities. My friends - Dave and Andrew - and I grew up and attended school together for nine years. Even though we attended different high schools, we have stayed in touch our whole lives. It was great to see them for a weekend and to reconnect.

They both have spent quite a bit of time in Chicago, so I knew they had high expectations for a fun weekend in the city. We started off with dinner at a delicious Minnesotan pizzeria, Pizza Luce. After that we went bowling at Bryant-Lake Bowl, a vintage bowling alley, restaurant, and cabaret theater.

On Saturday we had a cookout with some of my friends from Admissions Ambassadors, a student group on campus that helps with tours for visiting prospective students, and then went to a concert at First Avenue. It was great to see them, and we definitely stayed busy with all that Minneapolis had to offer.

photo%202.JPG

photo%203.JPG

A Weekend With Family

The next weekend I hosted my parents and my younger siblings! I planned on the weekend well ahead of time and had a full itinerary prepared - my family doesn't travel to Minneapolis often, so I knew this would be the only chance I had for a while to show my siblings what the Twin Cities have to offer.

They arrived Friday evening and we started off with dinner at Buca di Beppo, a great family-style Italian restaurant located near downtown Minneapolis. After that we headed to a mini-golf course at the Walker Art Museum, featuring artist-designed courses and installations. The best part was I could use our mini-golf tickets for free admission to the Walker Museum for up to a week afterwards, giving me a chance to bring other friends with me to see some great exhibits.

photo%204.JPG

We spent all day Saturday at the Minnesota Zoo in Apple Valley, a quick 20-minute drive from Minneapolis. After grabbing some ice cream on our way back, we headed to Brunswick Zone XL just north of Minneapolis in Brooklyn Park for some laser tag and the arcade.

On Sunday, my family headed out after we grabbed breakfast at the delicious Keys Cafe and Bakery downtown, which is famous for its brunch menu.

It was a very busy and fun couple of weekends, and if you're looking for tips on what to do in the Twin Cities check out Minneapolis's visitor website! For information on the University of Minnesota's great location, see the Office of Admissions website.

Photo credits: Drew Coveyou

Hello past, present and future Gophers!

My name is Josie Lampone and I am one of the summer bloggers for Gopher Tales! I am a senior pursuing a B.A. in theatre arts. I've worked in a variety of different offices here on campus, including the Multicultural Center for Academic Excellence, the Circle of Indigenous Nations, and the College of Biological Sciences. In addition to that, I have experienced East bank, West bank, and St. Paul campuses, all of which I greatly enjoy.

My knowledge and love for this University has only grown since I first visited here my senior year of high school. The sheer beauty of our campus, paired with the excellent academics and opportunities that this institution provides was what made me decide to choose this school over all the others. Over the years, the U of M has only topped my expectations, and I'm excited to share with you all of my experiences at this wonderful University.

I'll be blogging about the history of the University of Minnesota, as well as current events that are happening over the summer. There will also be some focus on different places around the University in general, and how the U of M relates to the larger Twin Cities area. As an arts major, I'm also very excited to share the different arts and culture events happening around both the University of Minnesota and the Twin Cities.

This school has been great for me in many different ways and I'm excited to represent the U of M through this blog, reaching out to all of our Future Gophers. Stay tuned for more updates coming soon!

Hello, and thanks for stopping by our blog! My name is Drew Coveyou, and I'm a junior at the U of M from Ottawa, Illinois. I am majoring in Journalism, focusing on Strategic Communication and Advertising in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication in the College of Liberal Arts.

My path the University started when my older sister came to visit campus her junior year of high school. I was only a freshman but I got dragged along for the college visit with the rest of my family. Even though college wasn't something I was really thinking about, I fell in love with the Twin Cities campus right away and it was always on the top of the list of colleges I was considering.

During my senior year of high school I visited campus another two times and confirmed what I already knew - that the University of Minnesota was the place for me. I knew I wanted the traditional feel of a Big 10 campus, but at the same time I didn't want to give up attending school in a major metropolitan area; I knew that I wanted to have access to the arts/music scene and professional opportunities that a major city could offer me. The Twin Cities campus was the one place where I found both the Big 10 campus and the major metropolitan area.

I attended my first-year orientation session in the middle of June with my dad tagging along for a parent orientation session. There, I met some of my best friends to date. Looking back, orientation was the time when I really acknowledged that this place would be "Home" for the next four years, and I couldn't have been happier.

(Here's a video from my Welcome Week in Fall 2011!)

I lived in a Living and Learning Community my first year - the American Indian Cultural House. There, I met other American Indian students and was put into contact with many different resources on campus, including the Circle of Indigenous Nations, the Multicultural Center for Academic Excellence (MCAE), and many students groups such as the American Indian Student Cultural Center (AISCC) and the American Indian Science and Engineering Society (AISES).

I got my first job on campus through these connections at one of the above student groups, the AISCC. I had such an awesome experience working with the group to run our Center and plan events that I ran for the governing board the next year. After two election wins, I am now entering my second term as the group's Treasurer. My responsibilities include creating a budget, applying for grants, and general accounting of finances for the group.

Although I live off campus now, the sense of community I built that first year hasn't left, and now I am getting even more involved in my academic program and other on-campus jobs. I'm sure I'll have more to share about my experiences and plans in future posts - thanks for reading!

270px-Weisman_Art_Museum.jpg

In honor of Museum Month in Minnesota, I'd like to share with you some of my favorite museums and attractions around the Twin Cities - many of which offer free or reduced admission for students. In fact there are a couple museums right within the University of Minnesota campus!

Museums and galleries on the U of M campus are:

1) Goldstein Museum of Design 

Located in McNeal Hall on the St. Paul campus, the Goldstein Museum of Design is a collecting institution that advances the understanding and appreciation through showcasing the design of objects such as clothing, pottery, metalwork, and more.

2) Weisman Art Museum 

The Weisman Art Museum is known for its unique architecture designed by Frank Gehry. The museum's mission is to create art experiences that spark discovery, critical thinking, and transformation linking the University and the community. Best of all, admission is always free!

3) Bell Museum of Natural History

As Minnesota's state natural history museum, the Bell Museum of Natural History houses the largest collection documenting Minnesota's biodiversity, but also has significant collections from around the world. Nearly 4 million specimens of mammals, birds, fish, plants, mollusks and insects provide exceptional opportunities for research and learning. 

4) Larson Art Gallery

The Larson Art Gallery is located in the St. Paul Student Center. The gallery houses exhibitions that are curated, designed, are installed by students of the Visual Arts Committee within Student Unions and Activities. 

5) Coffman Art Gallery

Developed in 2003, the Coffman Art Gallery is located on the first floor of Coffman Memorial Union. All exhibits are curated, designed, and installed by the students of the Visual Arts Committee within Student Unions and Activities. 

Outside of campus, other attractions are only a bus-ride away. If you don't have a car, it's still really convenient to get around the Twin Cities using buses and the light rail and you can easily map out your route using the Trip Planner on the Metro Transit website. U of M students can get heavily discounted semester-long bus passes (the U-Pass). I own a U-Pass and it gets me everywhere!

Here are some of my personal favorite museums and attractions around the Twin Cities. I've visited every single one and can vouch that a visit to each of these places is worth it!

1) Science Museum of Minnesota 

2) Como Zoo and Conservatory

3) Minnesota Zoo

4) Minneapolis Institute of Arts

5) Walker Art Center

6) Minnesota History Center

One of the best parts about going to school in the Twin Cities is that you never run out of things to do. The vast amounts of museums within the vicinity of the U of M provide plenty of opportunities for fun, relaxing, and educational learning experiences outside the classroom. If you want to experience it yourselves, try visiting some of the museums on your next campus visit to the University of Minnesota! 

In the spirit of National Volunteer Week, I'd like to highlight the many opportunities available to stay involved and volunteer that the U of M has to offer. If making a difference in your community is something that is very important to you, you'll definitely find what you're looking for at the University of Minnesota. First of all, there are so many student organizations built around volunteer opportunities--I couldn't even count them all! I've picked out a couple service-based student groups to highlight, but there are literally hundreds.

American Red Cross Student Organization 

Their mission is to provide service for the community with regards to public health issues, especially relating to the University of Minnesota campus student population in collaboration with the American Red Cross. Services may include (but are not limited to) hosting speakers to advocate for a cause, running blood drives, and collecting for international relief.

Circle of Giving (COG)
COG's principle activities are health focused group volunteer projects, workshops for leadership development, fundraising for a scholarship fund, serving as mentor for local youth, and helping members develop service projects based on their interests, such as health disparities in minority groups.

Colleges Against Cancer
Colleges Against Cancer is dedicated to eliminating cancer by spreading awareness and education through volunteer work in the community. Through cancer education, survivorship, and advocacy programs, all University of Minnesota college students have the opportunity to make a difference in the fight against cancer.

Biology Without Borders
Biology Without Borders is a student organization that leads students on annual global volunteer trips while connecting students with resources and making them advocates for global and social change. Their goal is to promote ethical volunteerism, and community-based and sustainable projects in underserved areas, both locally and globally.

Orphan Kitten Project
The Orphan Kitten Project helps local shelters by fostering orphan kittens (newborns to 8 weeks old) while providing hands-on animal experience to veterinary students.

Students Against Hunger
Students Against Hunger's mission is to aid Kids Against Hunger in significantly reducing the number of hungry children locally and globally by providing a community service activity that is meaningful, fun and memorable. Through enlisting members and volunteers from the University community, they package nutritious meals researched by food scientists in order to battle death's grip on over 40,000 children who die each day due to malnutrition, starvation and hunger-related diseases.

For a complete list of service-based student groups, check out: http://sua.umn.edu/groups/directory/index.php?group_by=category#Service

In addition to service-based student organizations, the University of Minnesota also fosters community service through offering service-learning courses. Service-learning courses incorporate community involvement into the coursework--students learn by participating in community service projects. Homework for these classes involves working with community-based organizations, which compliments the classes' readings, lectures and discussions. Wouldn't it be great getting to volunteer and earning class credit for it at the same time?

If you're passionate about volunteering, the University of Minnesota's Community Service Learning Center is a great resource to help you find what you're looking for. Check it out! http://www.servicelearning.umn.edu/

Apply Visit Ask Us Home