Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us
check out my bio check out my bio check out my bio

University of Minnesota students, including myself, are finally finished with the school year and more than ready to begin summer! After experiencing my very first "Finals Week" last semester, I had learned how to better manage my time and motivate myself to study and was able to tackle my spring finals more effectively. This semester, the reward for finishing my final exams is much sweeter, because now I can enjoy three months of summer vacation.

My schedule for my final exams was a challenge, but one I was able to handle. For one of my classes, I had a take-home exam where I needed to write three essays in one week. It was difficult, but it was nice to be able to use my notes and other materials. At first I was worried about my first day of Finals Week since I had two of my most difficult exams on the same day, but I managed to do well on both of them! The professors of both classes, gave us study guides and provided extra office hours to help us prepare. Although I had two big tests on the same day, I know that other students originally had up to three exams in one day. Luckily, the University of Minnesota is very accommodating in rescheduling those exams to help students with their finals week workload.

My last final exam was for my astronomy class, which was on the last day of finals week--Saturday. Although I didn't enjoy having to wake up early on a weekend morning, it was nice to have the entire week to study.

Since there are no classes during Finals Week, I even had some extra time to spare. The University Recreation Center offers free finals week group fitness classes, and I was able to take a "Cardio-Kickboxing" class, as well as a yoga class. It was a great stress-reliever! I'm really glad that the Recreation Center offered these awesome programs for everyone on campus to experience.

Now that the beautiful Minnesota summer weather has arrived, I can't wait to have fun on my vacation from school! I will be sure to keep you updated on all the exciting things that are happening in Minneapolis over the summer. If you'd like to experience campus for yourself this summer, be sure to schedule a visit, or check out one of our Summer Sneak Preview events!

Whether you're craving a slice of mac & cheese pizza at Mesa Pizza, or snacking and studying at the Purple Onion Cafe, you can find your perfect restaurant only a brief walk from the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities campus.

Dinkytown, the neighborhood just north of the part of the East Bank of the Minneapolis campus, is always alive and bustling with students and faculty. The neighborhood features all the amenities a person could need: you can get a hair cut, grab some great food, take in a concert at the Varsity Theater, and even salsa dance at Loring Pasta Bar on Friday and Saturday nights.

Chilly Billy's, a recent addition to the Dinkytown landscape, is a great place to cool down during the summer. Located on 15th Avenue north of Folwell hall on the ground floor of the new Sydney Hall, Chilly Billy's offers self-seve frozen yogurt with great toppings. Last week, some members of the U of M Office of Admissions stopped in to enjoy a frozen treat and celebrate the beginning of summer.

Thumbnail image for Chilly Billy's.JPGSo, the next time you are on campus don't forget to check out Dinkytown as well!

The West Bank Arts Quarter at the University of Minnesota is home to our Music, Theatre, Dance and Art departments. The University of Minnesota is the only campus in the nation to have all of its art disciplines in one centralized location. The West Bank Arts Quarter brings  our artistically and academically talented students across disciplines to share their talent and inspiration.

Each year, the West Bank Arts Quarter offers our students an on-campus source of entertainment with musicals, plays, operas, ensembles, symphonies, dance performances, and art exhibits. Earlier this month, I had the pleasure of viewing some of the works that our studio art students produced at the Regis Center for Art. Among the artistic displays were the paintings of one of our former Office of Admissions interns, Daisy Giles! Daisy, along with six other graduating seniors, displayed her paintings during the Spring 2011 Bachelor of Fine Arts exhibition. 

Take a look at some of her pieces below:

Self Portrait.jpg

Studio Art Exhibit 006.jpg

Thumbnail image for Studio Art Exhibit 004.jpgYou can see more of Daisy's artwork on Facebook

Summer is an exciting time of year at the University of Minnesota! Warm and sunny days have arrived, students have finished their final exams, and our recent graduates have moved on to pursue new opportunities in their careers.

During the upcoming summer months, the University of Minnesota will begin to welcome incoming freshmen onto campus for Freshmen Orientation, and incoming College of Biological Sciences students will attend Nature of Life, a unique first year program designed especially for CBS students.

We are so proud of the students who will be joining the College of Biological Sciences this upcoming fall semester. In fact, the local NBC-affiliate KARE 11 recently highlighted an incoming CBS freshman in their recurring "Academic All-Stars" segment. This clip showcases just one of the many wonderful students who will be joining our Class of 2015 next year.

If you're interested in learning more about the College of Biological Sciences, you may want to consider visiting campus this summer, or attending our Summer Sneak Preview on June 24! 

University of Minnesota researchers, famous for their work in mapping Antarctica, have begun to literally expand their work to the ends of the Earth. Paul Morin, a staff member in the College of Science and Engineering at the University of Minnesota, along with a team of undergraduate and graduate students from the U of M, have recently begun include the Arctic in their research and mapping. Paul Morin leads the Polar Geospatial Center, which provides information and project opportunites for other geology and geophysics researchers. The National Science Foundation (NSF) is funding this project with $4 million throughout five years of creating imagery of the Arctic terrain.

Certain parts of the Arctic being mapped have never even been visited before. The collected information will allow scientists to study the polar animals, glacier movement, and even find remote loctions for landing military aircrafts. The team has also created a partnership with Google to keep Google Earth and Google Maps up-to-date.

The ten University of Minnesota students who are participating in this project are experiencing an opportunity of a lifetime. They are able to view the breathtaking land of the Arctic, which is unseen and undervalued by most people. Pictured below is one of the teams' researchers on the rugged terrain. Examples of the maps that they produce can be viewed at the Polar Geospacial Center's website. Click here to check one out!

Apply Visit Ask Us Home