Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us
check out my bio check out my bio check out my bio

Students in the College of Education and Human Development (CEHD) are united in their common drive to make a difference in the lives of others. CEHD students and faculty have many amazing opportunities to make a difference through research, engagement and outreach in their career field.

CEHD's magazine, Connect, is a great resource for our students, faculty and alumni to stay up-to-date on highlights of the research, accomplishments and current news generated by our CEHD community. Every season (spring, summer, fall, winter), the college magazine centers its articles around a common theme. The Spring 2011 issue focuses on global stability through education. The issue features articles that showcase the impact our students can make globally through opportunities such as our learning abroad programs. This issue not only talks about the global impacts that our students, faculty and alumni have made on other people, but also features current student experiences from our unique First Year Experience program.

If you are a person that knows you want to make an impact on other people's lives, I would suggest reading Connect and see how people like yourself can make a big difference!

With so much to do, it's no wonder why National Geographic named Minneapolis as one of the best cities for a summer vacation destination.

If you are interested in the arts, you can select from a plethora of theatres and museums to visit. In fact, Minneapolis holds the nation's second-highest theatre seat per capita. Enjoy a play or musical at the Guthrie Theatre, watch your favorite musician at the Orpheum or First Avenue, take in some fine art at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, or enjoy the summer air by heading to the Sculpture Garden at the Walker Art Center.

Minneapolis also boasts a beautiful Chain of Lakes, including Lake Calhoun and Lake of the Isles--some of my favorite destinations to enjoy the outdoors during the summer months. Locals are often found enjoying the lakes by swimming, playing volleyball, throwing a Frisbee, walking, picnicking, or fishing. The lakes are easily accessible by bicycle or bus from campus. 

Whether you are planning on lounging on the Annie's Parlour patio in Dinkytown or taking in an outdoor concert and movie on the Coffman Plaza, campus is also a great place to enjoy a summer evening.

The warm weather months are a great time to experience Minneapolis/St.Paul...so if you're planning to come to campus for a visit, make sure to take some time to check out other local attractions as well!

We survived the winter, and it's time to enjoy everything that the Twin Cities has to offer during the summer! CNN's recent article about the metro area describes many great offerings of our city this time of year. I am so lucky to be living and working as a student in such an exciting environment! I know that I will be very busy this summer enjoying the perfect weather.

Since we've been cooped up indoors for so long, it's great to have a meal outside in the sun, with live music from one of Minneapolis' great artists. Many restaurants feature patios to sit at in the summer, and the two that the CNN journalist featured were Aster Cafe and The Anchor Fish & Chips. Both feature amazing food and the best atmosphere to relax in Minneapolis, the No. 4 on the list of the world's 10 best summer destinations according to National Geographic Traveler.

The arts are a huge part of what makes "The Cities" such a great location. Here, we have the Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis, Fitzgerald Theatre in downtown St. Paul, the Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra, and the famous music club First Avenue. Living in Minneapolis has allowed me to listen and dance to popular bands at First Ave., which is one of my favorite ways to spend the weekend.

Another tourist destination mentioned in the article was the Mall of America, one of my favorite places to shop in the metro area. While it can be busy at times, this mall has everything, and I have a blast every time I visit. Whether it's shopping, eating, or just enjoying a nice bike ride, you can be certain that traveling here is a great way to spend the summer!

It is hard to believe that in just two weeks I will be crossing the stage to receive my diploma. It seems like just yesterday my parents were dropping me off for the first time Territorial Hall. I have learned so much and have had a blast during the last four years. Even though it is sad to be leaving the U of M, I feel as though I am prepared to go out into the real world and am excited start the next chapter of my life! 

For my final post I would like to share with you my top ten reasons why I love the University of Minnesota (in no particular order):

Campus
Ever since I visited the University of Minnesota for the first time, I have been in love with the campus grounds. There are beautiful views of the downtown skyline and the Mississippi River. Every building has its own unique architecture and artwork is scattered around campus such as the Wall of Discovery and the St. Paul Bronze Bulls.

Greek life
Joining the Greek community was one of the best decisions I made in my college career. The tight-knit community has provided many leadership, scholarship, and service opportunities for me. I will always come back to campus to support my sorority and fellow Greeks!

Fun classes
Electives and major requirements alike; there are a variety of courses that make learning fun and interesting at the University of Minnesota. History of Rock n' Roll, Toy Product Design, and Bob Dylan are one-of-a-kind classes you can't find anywhere else!

Goldy Gopher
I can't help but smile every time I see Goldy Gopher around campus. His silly antics and school spirit entertain the young and old. It is no wonder why he was named the Best Mascot in the Nation this year.

Diversity
Our campus is home to students, faculty, and staff from many different countries, backgrounds, and cultures. The U of M is a place where you can explore other cultures and celebrate your own. We come to college to learn from professors and experts, but we also learn so much from each other.

Twin Cities
One of the main reasons I enrolled in the U of M is the great location. I have enjoyed living in a vibrant urban area and being just minutes from professional sports games, world renown theaters, museums, and more.

Campus wide events
If you have been reading my blog, you can probably tell that I enjoy the campus-wide events such as Homecoming, Spring Jam, and Minnesota Royal. Every person at the University shares the common bond of being a part of this community. These great traditions bring students, faculty and staff, and alumni together to celebrate our wonderful school.  

Student groups and organizations
Throughout college, I have been involved in a number of organizations including Minnesota Student Association, Public Relations Student Society of America, Alpha Gamma Delta, and more. Groups and organizations have not only kept me busy, but have provided leadership and personal growth opportunities!

Food
I am somewhat of a "foodie" and love going out to eat with friends and family. The U of M and Twin Cities are full of restaurants with delicious cuisine such as Loring Pasta Bar, Al's Breakfast, and Punch Pizza. This is definitely a great place to live if you like to be fed well!

Big Ten sports
The University of Minnesota has a great tradition of athletics! Some of my favorite memories are sporting events such as the inaugural football game in TCF Bank Stadium last year and seeing the Gopher hockey team beat North Dakota my freshman year.

As in many aspects of life, all good things must come to an end. I am so glad I have had the opportunity to give you an insider's view of life as a Golden Gopher. I hope that I gave you a better idea of what it is like to go to college at the University of Minnesota and have shown you some of the great opportunities this wonderful campus has to offer.

So long....

Hilary

This weekend is Spring Jam, one of my favorite times of the year at the University of Minnesota. Spring Jam is an annual campus-wide music festival and is one of the U of M's biggest events of the year. There are concerts, competitions, and a variety of special events put on by Student Unions and Activities to celebrate the warm weather and the end of the school year. Here is what I'm especially looking forward to this week:

Service Project - From noon until 5 p.m. on Thursday there will be a community service opportunity to package meals for Kids Against Hunger. It is a local non-profit organization that provides meals for children and their families in the Twin Cities.

Trampled by Turtles concert - On Thursday night Trampled by Turtles is performing in the Animal Arena on the St. Paul campus. This must-see folk band was founded in Duluth, Minnesota, and has been entertaining crowds across the country for eight years. I'm excited to check-out this local band.

Ballyhoo - Ballyhoo is an annual dance competition between the Greek chapters. Greek chapters perform choreographed dances and are judged on their variety of dance styles, costume, use of theme, music, and more. I am excited to see my sorority sisters perform a Lady Gaga-inspired dance that they have been practicing for months!

Outdoor movie night - On Friday night, there will be an outdoor movie theater set up on Coffman Memorial Union's front plaza. There will be music played by a Beatles tribute band to go along with the Beatles inspired movie, Across the Universe.

Battle of the Bands - On Saturday afternoon, student bands will compete to be the opening band for the headliner concert that evening. Bands are allowed to play a 15 minute set and will be judged on sound, stage presence, and spirit. The number of musically talented people here at the University is amazing!

OK GO - After years of being a fan, I am excited to finally see OK GO live! Their famous treadmill dance is enough to get me to go to the show. The concert will close out a week of good music and fun.  

Visit the Spring Jam website for a full listing of events happening this week and to learn more about Spring Jam.

Apply Visit Ask Us Home