Go to Admissions home page.Tab Bar

Ask Us
check out my bio check out my bio check out my bio

The University of Minnesota offers great opportunities to develop academically, personally and professionally. Whether students are seeking a job for a little spending money or are ready to kickstart their careers, the University of Minnesota is a great place to work!

Student jobs can also be a great way to build professional skills, gain valuable experience in your field, and explore potential careers. As a student, I worked for the Office of Admissions as a customer relations representative, which eventually led to my current position as the College of Liberal Arts admissions counselor. My job with Admissions was one of my best college experiences!

The University is dedicated to developing professionals in their student workforce and recognizes students for their outstanding service. For example, each year the Outstanding Student Employee Recognition Awards honor about 10 percent of undergraduate student employees. The awards are awarded annually to recognize our outstanding student employees. That is a great honor to be able to put on a resumé talk or about during an interview! 

Employers at the University of Minnesota recognize that students are students first, and employees second. They will work around your class schedule and are often flexible during finals weeks or if you have an upcoming project or test. You can check out some of the employment opportunities at the University's Employment website where you can search by title, position category, location, and more!

Yefei Jin Headshot resized for email.JPG

Name: Yefei Jin
Hometown: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Major(s): Theatre and Asian Languages & Literatures
Year in School: Junior, Class of 2012

Colleges and universities he considered: As a high school senior, Yefei's top choices for college included the University of Minnesota, the University of Chicago, Northwestern University, Hope College, and Yale University.

Why he chose the U of M:
"I chose the University of Minnesota for its prime location in a metropolitan area and the abundance of opportunities provided by its thriving artistic community. After visiting the campus, I discovered the strong academic and creative connections the university had with the local community. As a student pursuing the mechanisms for creating social change, the combination of service learning projects and academic rigor made the University of Minnesota the best choice for me."

How Yefei is involved at the U of M:
"I'm currently involved in multiple creative projects as well as student groups on campus, both of which motivate my academics and career goals. I'm in the process of writing a play for my senior project next year, called 'Atsumori in San Francisco.' As a student playwright, director, and actor, I've performed original pieces on campus for open audiences and student groups. As a board member of the Korean Student Association, I also seek to engage with the multicultural student body on campus. And finally, this summer, I will also be serving first year students as an Orientation Leader."

The highlight of his U of M experience so far:
"My U of M experience has taken me beyond what I could ever have imagined. My experiences on and off campus in theatre, education, and leadership development have been absolutely inspiring. I owe much of my passion to peers and faculty for offering me the support and insight for my creative development. At this point in my collegiate career, I have secured a strong mission statement along with the tools to challenge injustices."

His advice to future U of M students:
"Join organizations!!! Here you will find not the students who think like you, but those with similar passions. Some of these students will be your lifelong peers. As you pursue your interests, important relationships will form and with collaborating in student organizations, prepare to be amazed at how much you can learn!"

56.1WashAveBridge.jpgI love history and trivia. For my most recent post, I thought it would be fun to highlight some fun facts and trivia about Minnesota.

• On September 2, 1952, the world's first successful open-heart surgery was performed at the University of Minnesota.
  • Minneapolis Sculpture Garden is the largest urban sculpture garden in the country.
  • Minnesota has more Fortune 500 companies per capita than any other state in the country.
  • Minnesota was the "Flour-milling capital of the world" from the 1880's through the 1930's.
  • Minnesota has 90,000 miles of shoreline, more than California, Florida and Hawaii combined.
  • The Superior National Forest in northeastern Minnesota in the largest Federal forest in the lower 48 states.
  • Minnesota has one recreational boat per every six people, more than any other state.

I hope you all enjoyed some fun facts about Minnesota. Interested in visiting? Schedule your U of M campus visit today, and while you are here, explore the Twin Cities! Check out our Twin Cities Guide for Campus Visitors.

*All facts provided by minnesotafunfacts.com

Attention admitted students!

If you have not already done so, don't forget to register for the College of Liberal Arts Open House. The event will be held this Saturday, March 26 on the University of Minnesota campus. You can get more information about the event and register online at https://www.class.umn.edu/secure/cla_open_house/. I hope to see you there!

Sara Straskowski bio photo.jpgHi! My name is Sara Straskowski, and I am a new student blogger here in the Office of Admissions. (Check out my bio here.) I just began this position, and I am so excited to start blogging and share my student experience with you. I am currently a freshman at the University, and I am a student at the Carlson School of Management. I can't believe it's already my second semester of college! I have loved living in Minneapolis since the moment I arrived. 

I am originally from the small town of Wabasha, Minnesota, which is about 100 miles southeast of the Twin Cities. As a high school senior, I knew I wanted to attend a university that could offer me many opportunities and a highly ranked business school that could bring success to my life. I loved that the University of Minnesota was a Big 10 school, where I would get to see exciting sporting events all year long. I took advantage of my campus visit at the U of M, dined in Dinkytown (at Loring Pasta Bar, which is still my favorite place to eat!), and decided I wanted to attend school here. The day I received my acceptance letter is a day I will never forget!

My first semester has been so much fun. There is always something to do here! I joined a professional business fraternity, Alpha Kappa Psi. Becoming involved with a student organization has been the greatest decision I have made so far. I have gained a wonderful group of friends and I feel that, even though I am a small-town girl, I fit in perfectly in the city! 

Freshman year has been a lot of hard work as well. Some of my classes have been pretty tough, but I've gotten the hang of using the resources available to me. Honestly, I spent a lot of time at the writing center last semester! I feel lucky to have had such a great freshman experience, and hopefully I can turn it into a great college career!

This semester will be great: I'm looking forward to Spring Jam, Business Week, and so much more (like warm weather!). I'm hope you'll join me along the way!

Apply Visit Ask Us Home